Painful observations.

TigerJ

I am generally an optimistic guy, but it's hard to be optimistic after a game like the Bills played today.  Let me make a few general observations if you will, please.

1.  I'll start by giving credit to the Saints.  The Saints are a good team.  They deserve some credit for the way they have played today.  However, they are not so good that they should be able to hang the kind of drubbing they hung on the Bills today.

2.  The Bills are hurting from the lack of beef they can put on the front four of their defensive line.  Granted, Marcel Dareus has been wildly underperforming his contract, and it may be right in the long run to have dumped his salary in the trade with Jacksonville, but Adolphus Washington at 295 lbs is too light to play the run effectively as a one technique.  The Saints offensive line pushed the Bills around today.  

3.  At the start of the season the Bills were doing an excellent job tackling.  Now they are lousy at it.  The Fox commentators to the time today to point out one play where Sharice Wright tried to run his shoulder into Mark Ingram to bring him down.  Ingram blew by him for another 6-7 yards.  That kind of stuff was happening all day.

4.  It is fair to say that most of the time Tyrod takes pretty good care of the ball, but the reason the Bills have to look at replacing him (with a high draft pick if Peterman is not able to demonstrate the ability to start between now and the end of the season) are the plays he won't and can't make.  In some ways, it looks as if he has regressed, (deep accuracy) and he's still not willing to trow his receivers open or trust them to make plays on 50/50 balls.  It looks a lot to me like he is playing not to lose.  He has become completely predictable on 3rd and long (which the Bills were in a lot today).  He will complete a pass to the open guy underneath 5-6 yards short of the first down.  That player is then tackled, giving Buffalo a 4th down.  It happens over and over and over again.

Enough venting for now I guess.  Feel free to vent some too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good post.

#2 - DT has become a glaring need for the upcoming draft.

#3- Have to wonder what's going on with the tackling, which probably points to the DT position.

#4- Tyrod seems to have regressed from last year. I suspect Dennison's scheme has a lot to do with this, and everything to do with the ineptitude on offense. 

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good post.

#3- Have to wonder what's going on with the tackling, which probably points to the DT position.

#4- Tyrod seems to have regressed from last year. I suspect Dennison's scheme has a lot to do with this, and everything to do with the ineptitude on offense. 

Peterman proves #4 is absolute horse manure.

Hey I've got an idea.  How about we cut all our good young players or trade them for expiring veterans, then have backups take over for them and have no QB either?

Now we have to fill multiple holes on the team including QB.  Gonna take 3 drafts IF we hit on the people we select.

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Peterman proves #4 is absolute horse manure.

So garbage time when the Saints were cruising with a 34 point lead proves Peterman should start?

I'm not against giving Peterman a look in practice to see if he has improved, though at 5-4 I doubt there will be a change at QB.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

So garbage time when the Saints were cruising with a 34 point lead proves Peterman should start?

I'm not against giving Peterman a look in practice to see if he has improved, though at 5-4 I doubt there will be a change at QB.

WE UPGRADED OUR TALENT AT WR.

WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH MULTIPLE OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS.

SAME OLD TYROD.

It's too simple... you can't keep blaming everyone but Tyrod!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

11 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good post.

Tyrod was not good last year either

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Well tyrod couldnt get any garbage time stats

1 minute ago, Pbomb said:

Tyrod was not good last year either

I seem to recall the offense scoring a whole lot more last year.  What happened since then - we got a new OC and OLine coach.  I think that is affecting Tyrod more than some are acknowledging.

5 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

fifth worse home loss in franchise history. Protect our dung.

Maybe the coach should make the expression more accurate.

Maybe Something like "Protect our processed petroleum pellets."

I don't see a lot of dirt out at the stadium.

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

SAME OLD TYROD.

Under A Lynn, he did MUCH better.  Then we changed the coaching staff, which I think is hurting Tyrod more than you want to acknowledge.

Look, I'm really not a Tyrod apologist, but the contrast in offensive play between last year and this year is noticeable.  I do not think Tyrod is the long term solution, but is a good option as a bridge to the QB of the future.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

SAME OLD TYROD.

yep the excuses are starting to remind of hillaries 27 things to blame for losing.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I seem to recall the offense scoring a whole lot more last year.  What happened since then - we got a new OC and OLine coach.  I think that is affecting Tyrod more than some are acknowledging.

Or everyone has the book on the guy.

He has looked awful the last 2 weeks.

It seems that everyone on the D is looking to strip the ball, instead of the basic fundamentals of tackling first.

Two guys go after the ball-carrier..........the first guy tackles, the 2nd guy strips the ball.

Basic fundamentals.

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Or everyone has the book on the guy.

He has looked awful the last 2 weeks.

Agree, Tyrod was not very good today.  Against the Jets, he's lucky to be alive; Tyrod barely had time to get the snap.

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

SAME OLD TYROD.

Did we?  I think I'd take Watkins and Woods over any of the guys we have right now.

Edited by matter2003

Tackling was abysmal.  Handful of runs in the first half that went longer than they should have because the defender gave up, or couldn’t tackle.

Tyrod was absolutely atrocious.  Sit upper deck and can watch the play develop.  Missed a bunch of wide open WR’s quite a bit.  Also chose the short receiver a few times when another was open over the top.  Last about him, he needs to THROW the receiver open, stop waiting for hem to GET open.

I hardly leave the games early.  Left midway 3rd quarter today.  It was obvious 1st quarter the saints were the better team today.  Best I can explain is the Bills were constantly behind the plays.  A step away from a good catch, a step away from a good run, a step away from defending the pass, etc.  they were outplayed from the outset of th game.  Dismall.  

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

SAME OLD TYROD.

Honestly, done with him.  

Can’t get it done.  Can’t hit an open receiver.  Can’t throw open a receiver.  Can’t throw to a spot.  Can’t read defenses.

Yes, the remainder of the team is not great, but a good QB can overcome a lot of that....not tyrod.

I thought McD was pretty honest about it in the pressure.....it starts up front.

Washington is not going to be a NFL starter.....not only is not getting interior pass rush but he gets pushed around in the running game.   This is going to HAVE to be addressed in the offseason.

Please put Milano back in......Humber is no bueno.....he started off strong but now his play is regressing.....badly.  A lot of that has to do with getting pushed around up front.

Yes...Marcel was missed today.....I think the bills should be looking HARD for someone to bring in that can actually play the run.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Or maybe opposing coaches realized all u have to do is stop mccoy, keep tyrod in the pocket and hes pretty much useless unless the defense gets 3 or 4 turnovers to bail him out

1 minute ago, Pbomb said:

Or maybe opposing coaches realized all u have to do is stop mccoy, keep tyrod in the pocket and hes pretty much useless unless the defense gets 3 or 4 turnovers to bail him out

Agree.  I think this can be attributed to the OLine being dominated.  If the OLine wins their battles, containing Shady and keeping Tyrod in the pocket is easier said than done.  At any rate, I do think it is known that this team cannot consistently come back from a deficit greater than 10 points.  Anything more than that, game's over.