Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

38% approval ratings? 80 million more of us than there are of you? lost the popular vote by 3 million?

I get it, math is hard.

Just because you take up more space in flyover country doesn't mean the majority of the population agrees with your backwards, uneducated, fascist thinking.

I think it's like 35% now and I couldn't agree more.

It's hilarious how Trumpists living in their Alex Jones / Roger Stone echo chamber actually think that Trump's form of nationalism is actually going to take root in America. So completely beyond ignorance and naivete that you just have to laugh.

You guys already peaked and will forever be remembered as a horrifying glitch in the system that will hopefully never happen again. Can't wait for Mueller torpedo #1 to hit tomorrow.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't we just all put our egos aside and get along? Not just on the message boards but in real life as well.

I may not know or understand what might offend another person, but I will at least listen and try to understand their point of view as a sign of respect to a fellow human being.

I was so proud of our owner and HC in how they handled their players' concerns earlier in the year...the organization's respectful approach to the protests, even if they didn't necessarily understand it, spoke volumes, and in turn, made the players respect them even more...and I think that is what life is all about- and I think it is making a difference on the field as well.

honest question since we often disagree on this.

what happens when some people just don't want to respect the others viewpoint? perhaps because it is wrong to them, offensive to them or something along the likes of antifa/white nationalists?

the argument you make by asking for respect is the same one revoked when it is dealing with something as marginal as antifa/white nationalists. that's where a lot of of the hiccups come from, so i am curious to your thoughts.

His impeachment wont happen without Republican votes...And they are out there.

i'll bet you $1,000 he is not removed from office

It's hilarious how Trumpists living in their Alex Jones / Roger Stone echo chamber actually think that Trump's form of nationalism is actually going to take root in America. So completely beyond ignorance and naivete that you just have to laugh.

You guys already peaked and will forever be remembered as a horrifying glitch in the system that will hopefully never happen again. Can't wait for Mueller torpedo #1 to hit tomorrow.

can't wait to respond to you in 3 months when this is absolutely nothing. ppp has a great discussion on it, hop over there.

I have not read all the replies in this thread but...

I have seen that some think that this is just a common phrase that the Texans players are reacting sensitively to.

Well, consider the fact that the meeting was called to discuss the players' protest to draw attention to racial inequality and the vast majority of protesters are black.

Who then are the inmates? Google the incarceration rates by race yourself and you will have to agree that this is not just a simple turn of phrase.

You've got to take the average of approval ratings and he's around 38%, but the problem with those ratings is there are a lot of hardcore conservatives who disapprove of Trump that account for that low number. The problem is they'll rationalize next election it's better to vote for a candidate they don't like because it's still better than voting for a Democrat.

Edited by Doc Brown

You know he won, right?

You know he won, right?

Of course. I know many who regret voting for him as well.

He also lost the popular vote to an awful candidate, and his popularity has been plummeting ever since. He hasn't delivered anything and is completely spiraling right now. Sorry, I just can't buy that he's the favorite in 2020 at this point. His own party doesn't want him.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

38% approval ratings? 80 million more of us than there are of you? lost the popular vote by 3 million?

I get it, math is hard.

Just because you take up more space in flyover country doesn't mean the majority of the population agrees with your backwards, uneducated, fascist thinking.

Hahaha....now we know why you're mad. Suck it up and move on. Quit wallowing in your own misery you sad sack.

I get it, math is hard.

LOL

Oh look. A leftist who doesn't understand how our political system works. How unusual.

Not sure where you work, but this hasn't been true for a long time at the broader scale. When you're highly skilled and the company depends on that skill to be successful, most successful owners will try to understand where their employees are coming from and when possible work with them to resolve their issues. When they don't, the best talent leaves and the company suffers. Not sure how much of a hurry Duane Brown will be in to re-sign if he has other equal offers.

This IS true, period. Anyone can be replaced.

Any decent employer tries to understand the employee and find a way to make them more productive while meeting their personal needs.

NFL EMPLOYEES get great big checks, but give up some things in return, like the ability to jump to employer X, Y or Z at will.

The majority of my working life was in banking. If I wanted to share my opinions with anyone about anything, I would have been given one warning. The next time....out the door. When youre at work, you do your job. My wife manages people who make 7 figures. If one of them pulled this kind of crap theyd be gone in no time. THAT is how the real world works as Ive experienced it.

Edited by Augie

Any decent employer tries to understand the employee and find a way to make them more productive while meeting their personal needs.

NFL EMPLOYEES get great big checks, but give up some things in return, like the ability to jump to employer X, Y or Z at will.

The majority of my working life was in banking. If I wanted to share my opinions with anyone about anything, I would have been given one warning. The next time....out the door. When youre at work, you do your job. My wife manages people who make 7 figures. If one of them pulled this kind of crap theyd be gone in no time. THAT is how the real world works as Ive experienced it.

Fine, but it is not the way it works in the NFL or any number of other professions. I dont understand your point.

Of course. I know many who regret voting for him as well.

He also lost the popular vote to an awful candidate, and his popularity has been plummeting ever since. He hasn't delivered anything and is completely spiraling right now. Sorry, I just can't buy that he's the favorite in 2020 at this point. His own party doesn't want him.

They didn't last time either.

The will of the People can not be denied.

I understand and it's a fair point. It's worth noting banking is a pretty old school industry. In my work experience (tech), it's extremely common for employees to make their feelings known to management. We're reasonably expensive to replace, so we exercise that leverage until we move on to greener pastures.

I understand and it's a fair point. It's worth noting banking is a pretty old school industry. In my work experience (tech), it's extremely common for employees to make their feelings known to management. We're reasonably expensive to replace, so we exercise that leverage until we move on to greener pastures.

The players have relatively short shelf lives and have traded freedom for a higher % of revenue. It’s a choice they made. Now live with it.

I have not read all the replies in this thread but...

I have seen that some think that this is just a common phrase that the Texans players are reacting sensitively to.

Well, consider the fact that the meeting was called to discuss the players' protest to draw attention to racial inequality and the vast majority of protesters are black.

Who then are the inmates? Google the incarceration rates by race yourself and you will have to agree that this is not just a simple turn of phrase.

No, it's a simple turn of phrase.

You're one of those morons who thinks "niggardly" is racist, aren't you?

LOL

Oh look. A leftist who doesn't understand how our political system works. How unusual.

Did you respond to the wrong quoted post here? Everything he said is a fact. It had nothing to do with how our political system works. A majority (not just a plurality) of Americans disapprove of Trumps performance and a majority did not vote for him.

honest question since we often disagree on this.

what happens when some people just don't want to respect the others viewpoint? perhaps because it is wrong to them, offensive to them or something along the likes of antifa/white nationalists?

the argument you make by asking for respect is the same one revoked when it is dealing with something as marginal as antifa/white nationalists. that's where a lot of of the hiccups come from, so i am curious to your thoughts.

i'll bet you $1,000 he is not removed from office

can't wait to respond to you in 3 months when this is absolutely nothing. ppp has a great discussion on it, hop over there.

These are great questions that, a lot times, don't have the easiest of answers. First off, when you have people that don't want to respect other points of view you have conflict- many times resulting in physical confrontations because some people think it is easier to silence the opposition than try to work out a compromise...but the important thing is really to just listen to what people are saying.

But unfortunately, whenever you have any group of people- white, black, or brown- that thinks they are better than another group of people, or want to use force to achieve an advantage over another group, this isn't who those people really are, but what they have been taught...and it's their ego fighting for self preservation of those ideals.

A lot of times, in trying to self preserve, people attack others or put them down because the thinking, subconsciously, is that the less "they" have then the more I will have- which would increase the odds of survival or success imo...but this thinking just perpetuates a cycle of mistrust on all sides- and instead of working together to build up humanity, everybody is constantly fighting, limiting progress due to the lack of trust.

These issues we are seeing in the NFL are a microcosm of that deeper issue playing out...now, on the surface, players protesting what the Texans owner said may seem petty to some, but it all goes back to the lack of trust and respect- with the players feeling they are being marginalized and disrespected (whether right or wrongly). What's interesting about this situation is that I believe several white players took issue with what the Texans owner said as well.

Now, an owner of a company can make whatever rules they want...but it is also important to remember that the employer/employee relationship is a compromise...if an owner has rules that nobody wants to work under, then he or she will soon be out of business...and vice versa with the players. But both need to learn to work together for the benefit of both sides and it starts with listening and understanding.

So, I apologize for the length of this post or if i didn't really get to the gist of your question...it is a very complex issue and I can tend to get off on a tangent at times...I hope at least some was useful.

Edited by JaCrispy

These are great questions that, a lot times, don't have the easiest of answers. First off, when you have people that don't want to respect other points of view you have conflict- many times resulting in physical confrontations because some people think it is easier to silence the opposition than try to work out a compromise...but the important thing is really to just listen to what people are saying.

But unfortunately, whenever you have any group of people- white, black, or brown- that thinks they are better than another group of people, or want to use force to achieve an advantage over another group, this isn't who those people really are, but what they have been taught...and it's their ego fighting for self preservation of those ideals.

A lot of times, in trying to self preserve, people attack others or put them down because the thinking, subconsciously, is that the less "they" have then the more I will have- which would increase the odds of survival or success imo...but this thinking just perpetuates a cycle of mistrust on all sides- and instead of working together to build up humanity, everybody is constantly fighting, limiting progress due to the lack of trust.

These issues we are seeing in the NFL are a microcosm of that deeper issue playing out...now, on the surface, players protesting what the Texans owner said may seem petty to some, but it all goes back to the lack of trust and respect- with the players feeling they are being marginalized and disrespected (whether right or wrongly). What's interesting about this situation is that I believe several white players took issue with what the Texans owner said as well.

Now, an owner of a company can make whatever rules they want...but it is also important to remember that the employer/employee relationship is a compromise...if an owner has rules that nobody wants to work under, then he or she will soon be out of business...and vice versa with the players. But both need to learn to work together for the benefit of both sides and it starts with listening and understanding.

So, I apologize for the length of this post or if i didn't really get to the gist of your question...it is a very complex issue and I can tend to get off on a tangent at times...I hope at least some was useful.

thanks, i appreciate the time and effort you put in to this. i realize there isn't a set answer possible but this type of understanding is more than looking at the 1+1=2 it is looking at the work done to figure out the 1 and the 1 to get the two.

unfortunately, for political gains there is little reasoning to have communication as it only allows for opinions to be swayed. in our oligarchy opinions and free thorught are not permitted which is creating the fascists of the antifascist movement.