Schopp: Taylor is better than you think.

JM2009

It was pretty good at best. Taylor did his immediate escape act so effortlessly, and THEN had a ton of time on several passing attempts that it seemed like they did well. The times it looked good were mostly 3-8 or so yard passes where he dropped back, had a pocket and threw over the middle but for shirt gains.

How long do you think other teams' quarterbacks have to throw?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been, and remain probably, on the more sceptical side when it comes to Tyrod Taylor's ability to be the long term answer for this team.

However, I think he has had 1 great game, 4 solid games and 2 poor games this season. He was solid yesterday. People criticising him for yesterday's yardage count need to remember that for a lot of yesterday he was getting the ball in good field position. Hard to put up 300 yards when a couple of your drives start 35 yards or less from their goalline and when from the 2nd quarter on you are playing infront and trying intentionally (and correctly) to run the ball, churn clock and keep a potentially explosive offense off the field.

He missed some plays yesterday, he has crept back to a habit if holding the ball a bit long in the pocket for my tastes (after marked improvement in the Denver & Atlanta games) but he played a solid game made some big conversions when needed (the 2nd and 20 to Tate and a 3rd down crosser to Matthews in the drive just after Oakland had scored their 2nd TD) and managed the game effectively.

Do I believe he has yet proven he could win a game that turns intona shoot out? No. But let's hope no game this season does and 25-35 points is consistently enough to win. I still think the Bills long term need an answer and the cultish annointing of him as "a Franchise QB, just an unorthodox one" that has taken place by some today is off the mark... but Tyrod can help us achieve our goals this year and that is all I care about while we are in the race.

I am a pretty harsh critic of TT (I wanted McCown over him this offseason); he has played really well this year, especially yesterday. He has improved from where he was last year and the year before. Throughout this season, he has made some tough throws, lead us back when we were down, lead a 5+ minute clock chew in the 4th, hit WRs, TEs, RBs over the middle with accuracy, etc. - I tip my hat to him.

Is he our longer term savior - who knows for sure? I do know this - he fits really well for what our team is right now and make the re-tooling more bearable and fun to watch.This is a point where we should just enjoy the wins and that the team is playing as a team - it is refreshing and enjoyable.

I watch a lot of football. A lot longer than Tyrod does. And please don't use the time to throw stat. It's one of the most ridiculous raw stats ever assembled. When he drops back, immediately gets rushed, escapes miraculously, runs to sidelines, escapes another guy, still looks downfield for the third time and then throws, it's six seconds, and you use that stat to say the OL gave him six seconds to throw if you use that stat.

It was pretty good at best. Taylor did his immediate escape act so effortlessly, and THEN had a ton of time on several passing attempts that it seemed like they did well. The times it looked good were mostly 3-8 or so yard passes where he dropped back, had a pocket and immediately threw over the middle but for short gains.

The line played very well yesterday. I am sorry it did. It was the best o-line performance this season by a long, long way. That doesn't undermine Tyrod's play. But he had a lot of time yesterday. The line in both run and pass game put together its most complete display for a long time.

Most QBs have 2 blinks of an eye within Taylors time to throw. Time to throw stat is pretty meaningless when your QB runs around with the football.

Edited by Scott7975

The line played very well yesterday. I am sorry it did. It was the best o-line performance this season by a long, long way. That doesn't undermine Tyrod's play. But he had a lot of time yesterday. The line in both run and pass game put together its most complete display for a long time.

I agree that overall it did very well. Just the neutralizing of Mack was a huge factor in the game. The run blocking was mostly good and very good in the last third of the game. Tyrod had time to throw sometimes, sure. But numerous times they were on him immediately and he avoids it so easily that it seems like he has a lot of time to throw. The three reverse pivots he did (I think it was three times) and then went right back to the middle of the field I don think you can call great blocking because most QBs get sacked two or all three times. Several times he had to roll out to avoid the rush.

And again, on the plays he just stood in the pocket and delivered it was often (but not always) a quick pass for short yardage. They were better than usual but not very good. That's why I said pretty good. His quick easy elusiveness imo makes them look better than they were.

I watch a lot of football. A lot longer than Tyrod does. And please don't use the time to throw stat. It's one of the most ridiculous raw stats ever assembled. When he drops back, immediately gets rushed, escapes miraculously, runs to sidelines, escapes another guy, still looks downfield for the third time and then throws, it's six seconds, and you use that stat to say the OL gave him six seconds to throw if you use that stat.

It's gotten to the point that on every jailbreak-ish play, i assume he'll avoid the sack (it was the opposite with Orton). Of course, he still gets sacked, but he avoids so, so many that initially look like sure sacks.

Edited by dave mcbride

It's gotten to the point that on every jailbreak-ish play, i assume he'll avoid the sack (it was the opposite with Orton). Of course, he still gets sacked, but he avoids so, so many that initially look like sure sacks.

The new wrinkle of pivoting or juking 360 and then standing straight up in the middle of the field like it's a complete new snap and play is amazing. I love that.

Too many disclaimers with Tyrod. He's a franchise QB and the Bills should build around him. No he's not Aaron Rodgers. But I absolutely believe they can win it all with him assuming he has a good supporting cast. And that includes some serious upgrades at receiver.

It would be a terrible decision to let him go and watch him flourish with another team while we spent the last few seasons developing him and going through the growing pains of a new starter.

I strongly disagree with all points.

@JaySkurski

McDermott says "the last two weeks I've seen Tyrod (Taylor) grow in the pocket. ... He's had two quality weeks since the bye." #Bills

@ChrisBrownBills

McDermott: proud of way Tyrod has evolved the past 2 weeks. Think he's put together 2 really good weeks both in play & leadership. #Bills

In light of these comments there can be no question that during the bye week McBeane - coming off Tyrod's stinker in Cincinnati - were taking a long look at Peterman and thinking when - not if - he would take over the job.

Good for Tyrod to bounce back and play solid football against two relatively poor defenses (#32 Bucs, #29 Raiders). Let's see if he can sustain that success against slightly better defenses these next four games (#23 Jets, #15 Saints, #17 Chargers, #25 Chiefs).

on the time to throw thing...

the reason Tyrod is last in the league for time to throw is because (apparently) he is still learning the QB position. Derrick Carr is what, 2.14 seconds to throw? he is considered to have a very good O-line. if Tyrod understood the intracacies of reading defenses and knew where that dictated the ball going, he would be proficient in the WCO. 5 step drop and bam the ball would come out and you would see him in the neighborhood of Carr's time to throw. however because he is lacking in the, 'finding the open receiver' dept, he holds the ball longer and often scrambles when other QB's would have released the ball already. thereby contributing to him 'holding' the ball longer.

Tyrod is (apparently) still learning the intracacies of where his receivers will be (ie; reading defenses). the one thing i do not really like my QB to do that he does, is to take his eyes off the receivers and look for escape routes. that penchant he has drives me nuts. i yearn for the day when (if) he simply feels the presence of pressure and steps up in the pocket, all the while keeping his eyes on the field and the receivers and where they will be going. i understand that sometimes it is necessary to take your eyes off the field and look fr those escape routes but he does it with too much regularity everytime he 'feels' pressure. to his credit though he has been making more positive plays than negative ones when that happens. i just think he can make better decisions and thus better plays if he learned to read defenses and 'feel' that pressure while stepping up in the pocket.

with all that being said, he is (apparently) making strides in his game and all these obvious deficiencies are (apparently) beginning to wane.

it's all readily apparent, is is not.....

lol

Edited by Foxx

on the time to throw thing...

the reason Tyrod is last in the league for time to throw is because (apparently) he is still learning the QB position. Derrick Carr is what, 2.14 seconds to throw? he is considered to have a very good O-line. if Tyrod understood the intracacies of reading defenses and knew where that dictated the ball going, he would be proficient in the WCO. 5 step drop and bam the ball would come out and you would see him in the neighborhood of Carr's time to throw. however because he is lacking in the, 'finding the open receiver' dept, he holds the ball longer and often scrambles when other QB's would have released the ball already. thereby contributing to him 'holding' the ball longer.

Tyrod is (apparently) still learning the intracacies of where his receivers will be (ie; reading defenses). the one thing i do not really like my QB to do that he does, is to take his eyes off the receivers and look for escape routes. that penchant he has drives me nuts. i yearn for the day when (if) he simply feels the presence of pressure and steps up in the pocket, all the while keeping his eyes on the field and the receivers and where they will be going. i understand that sometimes it is necessary to take your eyes off the field and look fr those escape routes but he does it with too much regularity everytime he 'feels' pressure. to his credit though he has been making more positive plays than negative ones when that happens. i just think he can make better decisions and thus better plays if he learned to read defenses and 'feel' that pressure while stepping up in the pocket.

with all that being said, he is (apparently) making strides in his game and all these obvious deficiencies are (apparently) beginning to wane.

it's all readily apparent, is is not.....

lol

I mean you make it sound like Taylor is holding the ball for 10 seconds longer than everyone else but in reality it is a HALF second longer than the best. Its literally a blink of an eye. Just because he runs out of the pocket doesn't mean there isn't pressure there. Does he do it sometimes? Yeah. Does he hold the ball too long when someone actually is open? Once in a while. Its overblown.

BTW Cars time to throw is skewed by all the short plays and screen plays they run. Its their system. Carr has one of the worst Air Yards in the league at 5.5.

Edited by Scott7975

I have been, and remain probably, on the more sceptical side when it comes to Tyrod Taylor's ability to be the long term answer for this team.

However, I think he has had 1 great game, 4 solid games and 2 poor games this season. He was solid yesterday. People criticising him for yesterday's yardage count need to remember that for a lot of yesterday he was getting the ball in good field position. Hard to put up 300 yards when a couple of your drives start 35 yards or less from their goalline and when from the 2nd quarter on you are playing infront and trying intentionally (and correctly) to run the ball, churn clock and keep a potentially explosive offense off the field.

He missed some plays yesterday, he has crept back to a habit if holding the ball a bit long in the pocket for my tastes (after marked improvement in the Denver & Atlanta games) but he played a solid game made some big conversions when needed (the 2nd and 20 to Tate and a 3rd down crosser to Matthews in the drive just after Oakland had scored their 2nd TD) and managed the game effectively.

Do I believe he has yet proven he could win a game that turns intona shoot out? No. But let's hope no game this season does and 25-35 points is consistently enough to win. I still think the Bills long term need an answer and the cultish annointing of him as "a Franchise QB, just an unorthodox one" that has taken place by some today is off the mark... but Tyrod can help us achieve our goals this year and that is all I care about while we are in the race.

As long as he has time to throw , don't know why this is a negative. I always thought it was great for Aikman to be able to sit back and wait all day for his receivers to get open.

I mean you make it sound like Taylor is holding the ball for 10 seconds longer than everyone else but in reality it is a HALF second longer than the best. Its literally a blink of an eye. Just because he runs out of the pocket doesn't mean there isn't pressure there. Does he do it sometimes? Yeah. Does he hold the ball too long when someone actually is open? Once in a while. Its overblown.

BTW Cars time to throw is skewed by all the short plays and screen plays they run. Its their system.

Scott, it is actually almost a complete second longer. in NFL terms, that is an eternity. so yes, it is almost an eternity.

don't get me wrong, i think he is (apparently) improving. i was just looking to give some reasoning why the O-line is maligned.

I strongly disagree with all points.

In light of these comments there can be no question that during the bye week McBeane - coming off Tyrod's stinker in Cincinnati - were taking a long look at Peterman and thinking when - not if - he would take over the job.

Good for Tyrod to bounce back and play solid football against two relatively poor defenses (#32 Bucs, #29 Raiders). Let's see if he can sustain that success against slightly better defenses these next four games (#23 Jets, #15 Saints, #17 Chargers, #25 Chiefs).

I just watched every play in the condensed version of the game on Game Pass. Tyrod did not have a lot of time at all. And more importantly, he had very little room. The pockets that Carr were throwing out of often had the same amount of time to throw (which wasn't a lot), but very wide. Even when TT had time, guys were often very close to him, like a yard away. He very rarely had a lot of time to throw that wasn't because he avoided immediate pressure and did it himself.

I've been a very harsh critic of Bills QB's over the years, but I have not been of Taylor. I've just always thought that he has great skills, just needs time to learn and gain experience. I think he could be one of these QB's who plays a very long time and plays his best football in his mid to late 30's.

He's a hard worker who seems intelligent, he just may never be the elite wonderboy so many fans desire.

Edited by T-Bomb