Schopp: Taylor is better than you think.

JM2009

Funny how much credit a starting QB gets for a team win. Despite only accounting for 166 total yards we have people singing his praises.

Aside from a couple of drives and a few gutsy plays I thought Taylor played poorly.

He was facing one of the worst pass defenses in the league and was extremely hesitant to throw for most of the game. The OLine did a great job protecting him. Had to settle for field goals when the game was still undecided despite turnovers putting the offense in position to score touchdowns to put the game out of reach much earlier on a silver platter.

Thank God for those turnovers.

He should've had an interception himself but Matthews made an unbelievable play to knock the ball out of the corner's hands at the last second.

Soon these "forced" turnovers from the defense/special teams will dry up. Will Tyrod be able to carry this team when that happens? If he's truly up to the task then he hasn't shown it yet.

Pretty bold to be doubling down

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty bold to be doubling down

I call it as I see it. I'm not going to apologize for that. So many other players deserve so much more praise for their performances yesterday that contributed to the win but won't because they're not the quarterback.

Taylor made a few good throws/decisions yesterday and I said as much in the Shoutbox as it happened. But the bottom line is that we need to see more of that if we're going to truly compete for the playoffs/championships.

We're not going to face bottom five defenses every week going forward, nor will we be able to force four turnovers every game. Taylor won't be able to hold the ball all day against better defenses. And when he does throw has to be more consistently accurate.

I call it as I see it. I'm not going to apologize for that. So many other players deserve so much more praise for their performances yesterday that contributed to the win but won't because they're not the quarterback.

Taylor made a few good throws/decisions yesterday and I said as much in the Shoutbox as it happened. But the bottom line is that we need to see more of that if we're going to truly compete for the playoffs/championships.

We're not going to face bottom five defenses every week going forward, nor will we be able to force four turnovers every game. Taylor won't be able to hold the ball all day against better defenses. And when he does throw has to be more consistently accurate.

People keep saying, we need more of this or more of that from him. Hes been leading a talent starved offense up and down the field. He never turns the ball over and keeps plays alive better than EVERY QB in the league. He scores 5 times for every time that he turns it over. Its amazing that the entire country appreciates the job that hes doing and a select few Bills dont. Not many QBs would have this collection of offensive talent at 5-2.

I see it differently. 20 of 27 is no joke. Neither is not turning the ball over. Also how many times did Taylor make a first down only to have it called back and add a 10 yard deficit.

So he missed a few passes. So does every QB in the league. People need to stop with the 300 yards makes a QB mantra.

Edited by Scott7975

People keep saying, we need more of this or more of that from him. Hes been leading a talent starved offense up and down the field. He never turns the ball over and keeps plays alive better than EVERY QB in the league. He scores 5 times for every time that he turns it over. Its amazing that the entire country appreciates the job that hes doing and a select few Bills dont. Not many QBs would have this collection of offensive talent at 5-2.

"Talent starved offense"

• His running back is a future Hall of Famer who feels as good/healthy as ever.
  • His OLine is the same one that was considered a Top 5 unit in 2015 and 2016.
  • His #1 wide receiver led the Eagles receivers in receptions the last two years.

It's far from great but "talent starved offense" is hyperbole.

Taylor's ability to "keep plays alive" is exciting but I'd rather have a QB who finds the open man and gets the ball out before he's forced to work his scrambling magic.

"The entire country appreciates the job he's doing" because no one thought anything of him going into this season and to the winning quarterback go the spoils. I remember when the Bills started the 2008 season 4-0 and Trent Edwards was getting national praise as an MVP candidate.

Look, I'll admit to Tyrod having limitations, but I remember something really key yesterday. On one of the deep throws to Holmes, he looked off the safety to leave Holmes in single coverage. This has been one of his biggest criticisms.

I will give credit where it is due. The excellent play on defense and special teams often gave him a short field, but when it mattered he drove the team down the field, chewed up clock, kept the chains moving, got us the encroachment call and dove in to get us 7 points where normally we would settle for 3.

The last two games has given me the thought that TT can be our QB for the next few years, even if we draft someone. So long as he remains serviceable , we can give someone the time to develop and still have a QB who can do the needful. This of cause hinges on what Taylor does her on out, but the last two game show he is capable and the team believes in him.

"Talent starved offense"

• His running back is a future Hall of Famer who feels as good/healthy as ever.
  • His OLine is the same one that was considered a Top 5 unit in 2015 and 2016.
  • His #1 wide receiver led the Eagles receivers in receptions the last two years.
It's far from great but "talent starved offense" is hyperbole.

Taylor's ability to "keep plays alive" is exciting but I'd rather have a QB who finds the open man and gets the ball out before he's forced to work his scrambling magic.

"The entire country appreciates the job he's doing" because no one thought anything of him going into this season and to the winning quarterback go the spoils. I remember when the Bills started the 2008 season 4-0 and Trent Edwards was getting national praise as an MVP candidate.

Matthews was #4 on the Eagles depth chart this year which is why they traded him. The Bills have the least talented pass catchers in the league.

Shady is great and the OL has played better. The Bills offense is not talented though. If Tyrod or Shady went out they are done.

In terms of the keeps plays alive part you cant be serious. He makes a million plays by keeping them alive and allows his garbage receivers the opportunity to break off their routes and make plays. They arent getting any separation otherwise. Thats why he is the right QB for this collection of talent. If you think getting the ball out on time would mean an improved passing attack you are sorely mistaken. The receivers dont get open.

Hes 20-16 as a starter. Tyrod has scored 56 TDs and turned it over 16 times. At some point maybe people will appreciate how good he has been.

I see it differently. 20 of 27 is no joke. Neither is not turning the ball over. Also how many times did Taylor make a first down only to have it called back and add a 10 yard deficit.

So he missed a few passes. So does every QB in the league. People need to stop with the 300 yards makes a QB mantra.

I think you left out / glossed over / failed to mention --- 165 yds passing...

The odds are highly against winning too many more games with that kind of performance...

The truth is that this team is winning games it would normally lose because the defense is playing out of their minds great football and the injuries that are seemingly inevitable at some point haven't hit yet...

And I am as happy as anybody for what some have called winning boring football games - for a change!

Right now Micah Hyde is having a Pro Bowl - Defensive MVP - All Pro(?) season and the rest of the secondary have jelled unusually quickly. More quickly than most would have banked on, before the season began.

I always liked Leslie Frazier as a Defensive Coordinator and kudos to Gil Byrd the Defensive Secondary Coach...

Edited by DefenseWins

hey now!! Someone earlier said both had 400 passing . Once I looked up the stats I saw the real #s

You can't say that was't a hell of a game. Very entertaining.

It was a great game, very entertaining, and one of them lost. Watson did have 402 passing, btw, you looked up net passing which subtracted his sack yards.

The nit I was picking with my post was that there have been several games won this year with QBs under 200 yards. Just like there have been several games with 300 yard QBs losing.

In terms of the keeps plays alive part you cant be serious. He makes a million plays by keeping them alive and allows his garbage receivers the opportunity to break off their routes and make plays. They arent getting any separation otherwise. Thats why he is the right QB for this collection of talent. If you think getting the ball out on time would mean an improved passing attack you are sorely mistaken. The receivers dont get open.

This is false. Watch the All-22.

Tyrod pumpers can't make a case for him without disparaging his teammates. It's unfortunate.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

I think you left out / glossed over / failed to mention --- 165 yds passing...

The odds are highly against winning too many more games with that kind of performance...

The truth is that this team is winning games it would normally lose because the defense is playing out of their minds great football and the injuries that are seemingly inevitable at some point haven't hit yet...

And I am as happy as anybody for what some have called winning boring football games - for a change!

Right now Micah Hyde is having a Pro Bowl - Defensive MVP - All Pro(?) season and the rest of the secondary have jelled unusually quickly. More quickly than most would have banked on, before the season began.

I always liked Leslie Frazier as a Defensive Coordinator and kudos to Gil Byrd the Defensive Secondary Coach...

He put up those passing stats because he wasnt really needed...he threw the ball 10 times in the second half LOL...Carr threw 10 times in one drive once.

Taylor is playing some really solid QB right now, and if you cant see that, I feel bad for you.