This offseason Quarterback options

With the offensive line a piece or two away from being one of the better lines in the league, a couple of solid receiving tight ends, potentially Jordan Mathews re-signs if a pretty good throwing QB was to sign, a rookie wide out that will improve with time, an all-pro running back and a solid defense with what I feel has been the best coached season by a Buffalo Coach in some time, does Buffalo have enough to real in a Kirk Cousins off of the street? Certainly, right now Cousins would scoff at our lack of receiving options but what if we could present him with an offer it'd be tough to decline. What if Buffalo told Cousins they would address the receiving weapons in the draft and another in the free agent market? They certainly have the draft picks to spend on some young athletic weapons for whoever their Quarterback will be in 2018. The frosting on top of the cake is that they have enough draft picks to fix a majority of the wholes on both the offense and the defense. 3 draft picks on each side of the ball in the first three rounds is certainly an option. Say the Bills drafted a first round wide out and a mid round wide out, grab a tackle early in the draft and allows Dawkins to move inside and replace miller or be the eventual replacement for Incognito if Miller turns things around, draft another running back in a draft that will have a lot of talented backs, maybe one in the third round? This will give Lesean a break and maybe stretch out his career by lightening the load a little, and sign Jordan Mathews or another quality wide out. Would that be enough to grab a quarterback like Cousins? Could be an interesting option.

I am in the camp of drafting a Quarterback in the first round this year without trading up so we can fill in some of the roster wholes with McDermott guys and have a first round talented quarterback who may not be ready to play in the NFL just yet. I think drafting a Quarterback later in the first round and letting them sit behind Tyrod Taylor for a year could be just the thing for what a rookie Quarterback from this year's class needs. Personally, I like Josh Allen's abilities. Just needs some talent around him to show off that cannon of an arm he has and more experience. Let your young receivers develop another year and get acclimated to the NFL then put in the potential future franchise QB. Also, it'd give them enough time to fill in a few of the wholes on defense. To me this is the best option with any QB they draft.

Peterman flashed in preseason a little. There's a small crowd chanting for him to replace Tyrod this season. He has a good amount of potential for a 5th round pick. I'd let Tyrod play out the year and then put in Peterman so he can learn behind Tyrod for a year have more weapons after next year.

Or we could stay the course with Tyrod for the next few seasons. The Bills are in a situation where they have options, more options than they've had in a long time. Let's hope whatever direction they go finds us the next Buffalo QB to lead the Bills back to the Super Bowl. I'm very intrigued and excited for the future of this team under the new regime. It's hard not to love being a Bills fan so far this season.

Edited by Buffalo30

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be inclined (if I were the Bills' GM) to draft a QB pretty high, and probably the first round. I am not inclined at this point to try and trade up since I don't see a clear consensus ranking of the top 6 or 7 QBs. Six months ago, Sam Darnold was a lock to be drafted first overall, now, not so much. I would let the draft come to me, and if the value just wasn't there when the Bills draft in the first round, I think there are some really promising guys who will be available a little later, even though I'm looking to find one in the first. As early as it is, everything is subject to change, however.

The problem for those who want the Bills to draft a QB in the first round is....how many teams that are just as desperate (maybe more desperate now) for a QB might be picking in front of the Bills? Of those teams, is it likely they will pick a QB? San Fran? Yes. Cleveland? Yes. Giants, a strong maybe. Colts? probably not unless a major trade comes down. Bengals? Possibly. Bucs, No. Cardinals? Yes. Ravens? maybe. Jets, Yes. Chargers, possibly. Broncos, probably, Redskins, maybe, Jags, probably.

Standings can change, but there might be 5 or 6 teams AT LEAST that will be picking in front of the Bills with getting their QB of the future a top priority.

Trade up and grab a QB, let Tyrod walk or if he does well enough maybe we can get a draft pick for him. We would have two young QBs and the money being paid to Tyrod can be used on other positions.

I would love to see them grab Josh Rosen, maybe we won't have to trade up too far to get him.

Edited by xRUSHx