Jameis humbled our D

CanadianFan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that I agree with the OP sentiments. For one, Gaines has been in and out with injuries and the turnovers have been consistent through the first 6 games, which is an important part of Defense so to dismiss it or slight it by saying it's a "consolation" to me is misleading. Second, Offenses are seeing they can't run very well on this Defense so they are passing more, which unless it's a total shutdown will lead to more yards. The OJ Howard TD was a TOTAL miff on the Defense and they admitted as much. Evans made a fantastic catch after a really high quality throw by Jameis, and yes the D should shut that down, but we can't expect perfection.

That said, not fielding more than 4 corners in a game is a concern, and hopefully McD sees this and dresses 5....and, the Defense does need to stand up again against the pass, but saying they're not good or "as bad as we thought they were", really isn't accurate either. I think given the game plan, which I believe in the last few weeks has been to bend and not break, to try and avoid the big play, ala AJ Green and OJ Howard, they seem to content to give up the yards in the middle of the field to keep the points off the board. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think when we get to December the numbers will start to make more sense and even out a bit...meaning, TOs may come down a little, sacks go up, Run D stays strong, and passing yards per game comes down a ways also....it wasn't until Atlanta that the D gave up a passing TD....so let's not call them out just yet.

Good analysis.

I liken stats like this differently. I look at good games vs bad games. Think like that MLB player who bats .235 all year until last 5 weeks of season goes on a tear and ends up at a good .289 avg.

He was not a .289 avg guy all year. He sucked most of the year. But he was clutch as he got hot on playoff run when he was needed most. Jury is still out on Bills DB's, can they get hot when needed most? Can't wait to find out when they get healthy. Meanwhile pass rush needs to step up.

Bills secondary has had more good than bad so far so hope that continues.

Edited by cba fan

Keep an eye on the turnover ratio. If that remains really good, it could be a major wild card in terms of us, uh, getting a wild card.

A lot of football stats are not worth keeping. Turnovers are not one of them; amazing how a good turnover ratio translates to wins/losses over a long time with a huge sample size.

I hope Gaines is back. And I can't believe it was Lorenzo who lost OJ. I'd understand if it was Milano. Not a vet!

Here's what we're facing next week, in case anyone needed reminding:

u8gty5zjjttz.jpg

That's not what we're facing next week. It's what the Chief's faced last week.

But I love how creative some of you get in your never-ending quest to be miserable.

but.... it wasn't impressive for looking forward

the Steelers and Pats put the hurt on their opponents and looked like division winners

Bills squeaked out a win at home against a middling opponent....

The week before the Pats scored 19 on the Bucs and would have lost if the Bucs had a kicker. The Steelers lost to the Jags a few weeks ago. So what's your point?

Julio Jones was eating them alive before he got hurt, and A.J. Green took White to school. It's a true bend but don't break secondary. They'll get torched a lot but will come up with a big play when needed.

Jones had 3 catches. 1 catch for 16 yards and 2 others that combined for 14 yards. I wouldn't say he was eating them alive.

Much of the success Winston had was due to our pass rushers not getting to him fast enough.

as mentioned above very well indeed. Hot hands come and go. Timing is everything.

Like to see the pass rush start getting home.

I have seen plenty of pressures. But one of these guys needs to get home against Carr.

Hughes is the only guy running a bit wild. The rest is direct pressure up the middle. and couple blitzes (milano ! )

Time to open the play book and start stunting and delayed blitzing. I bet McD is just waiting to change it up just enough.

Bucs did a nice job beating our zone ( LBs )

so there is risk to bringing 5 for the Bills right now

Edited by 3rdand12

The Bucs have an insane amount of offensive talent, Jamis has all the tools to be a MVP (Just needs to make better decisions), Mike Evans is a legit WR1 and if he just limits the drops could be one of the best 2-5 receivers in the league. DeSean Jackson is a pretty good number 2, Brate is a solid tightend, and Howard has a ton of potential to be a top tight end. Their O-line is one of the best in the league this year, and they have a very good RB combo, with Martin being a good between the tackles runner and Rodgers being a good third down back.

The offense bailed the defense for once and the team got the win. The defense should still be good but they just ran into a top 5 offense. If Jamis develops his decision making and polishes up a bit more then Tampa could be an offense force for years to come.

Just thinks there were fools on here that wanted Winston to play over Fitz against us lol

22 comp 32 att 68.8% 290 Yards 9.1 Avg 3 TDs 2 INTs 102.3 Rating 33 points

32 comp 44 att 72.7 % 384 yards 8.7 avg 3 TDs 1 INTs 1 Fumbles 112.3 Rating 27 points

Fitz didn't come in until 5 minutes left in second quarter. Winston wasn't moving the ball before Fitz came in. Fitz tore us up like Brady last season. The week before Winston could score against the Pats, only had 56 completion %, but hey he got yards. Two weeks before that Winston threw 3 Ints. Winston wasn't looking good this season other than yards and the Giants game.

Looking at those two stat lines and considering one isn't a full game... they are pretty comparatively the same. So no, people aren't fools and Winston really hasn't played any better than Fitz. Somehow Fitz is the worst ever (other than Tyrod of course) and Winston is a god though.

Edited by Scott7975

22 comp 32 att 68.8% 290 Yards 9.1 Avg 3 TDs 2 INTs 102.3 Rating

32 comp 44 att 72.7 % 384 yards 8.7 avg 3 TDs 1 INTs 1 Fumbles 112.3 Rating

Fitz didn't come in until 5 minutes left in second quarter. Winston wasn't moving the ball before Fitz came in. Fitz tore us up like Brady last season. The week before Winston could score against the Pats, only had 56 completion %, but hey he got yards. Two weeks before that Winston threw 3 Ints. Winston wasn't looking good this season other than yards and the Giants game.

Looking at those two stat lines and considering one isn't a full game... they are pretty comparatively the same. So no, people aren't fools and Winston really hasn't played any better than Fitz. Somehow Fitz is the worst and Winston is a god though.

Garbage Time Production after two ugly picks.

The week before the Pats scored 19 on the Bucs and would have lost if the Bucs had a kicker. The Steelers lost to the Jags a few weeks ago. So what's your point?

Jones had 3 catches. 1 catch for 16 yards and 2 others that combined for 14 yards. I wouldn't say he was eating them alive.

And the one for 16 was a great pass and great catch on the sideline (or one of the others over 10 yards). Against solid coverage.