Who did you believe was going to perform better: Watkins or

boyst

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who did you think this far would be achieving their fair recognition?

• Watkins
    • Gilmore
  2. 2. Are you wrong on them, or give it more time?

• Yes, I was wrong
    • No, I want to give them more time and more cow bell

We are fast approaching mid way of the season. Who did you feel would finally be getting the recognition they deserved and on their way to an All-Pro roster?

Mine was more on Gilmore than anyone. I still think he is not being used very well in NE*. I'd love to see him achieve the success every former Bill should even if it is the lowly Patriots.

I always thought Gilmore was decent whilst in a Bills uniform. I expected him to be better in NE than he was here. But I expected him to be better than he is.

As far as Sam, when he left, I said he'd be the 3rd best WR on the Rams. He is.

I never thought to compare them since they play on different sides of the ball and they were shown the door at different times.

Since I think Sammy is a world-class talent, I suspect that he'll do better than Gilmore over the long haul. His problem in LA has been that Goff doesn't have the same confidence level in him that he has in Kupp and Woods, but that will change as the season goes on, and especially next season if he re-signs with LA.

What I find funny is the silence from all the Bills fans who justified trading Watkins because they claimed Watkins couldn't stay healthy. Now that Matthews, the supposedly always healthy WR who replaced Watkins, has struggled to stay healthy enough to play, you hear nothing but crickets.

Great topic Boyst!! For me it's Gilmore even though I though Watkins was the better player. I am the idiot that thought the Pats had a chance to be undefeated. They've given up more yards than anyone and look atrocious on defense. So, I expected Gilmore to have a big year and I was wrong.

I didn't give much thought to what either was going to do elsewhere.

The surprise for me is Woods. He is not a whole field receiver and they paid him like one.

But after watching Goff play........I know exactly why they paid so much for Woods. The intermediate throw is Goff's ball. He's great at it and as I've said for years here on TSW that is all that Woods does well.

What Goff can't do is throw the long ball........he's very poor at it........and with their other receivers all being short range targets and Sammy being new to the system he is running a lot of nine routes and Goff can't make those throws.

He threw two hot air balloons up to Watkins yesterday and the safety was over the top 50 yards down the field waiting for the off target, under-thrown passes...........and one of those was off play action...........so obviously Sammy fear is still real.

Rams are benefitting and a second round pick was a very small price to pay for developing your #1 overall pick QB............but it's a life lesson for Sammy.......he had a good thing with Tyrod and should have appreciated it more......the amount of guys who can throw the deep ball like him can be counted on one hand.

Gilmore not succeeding is not surprising to me at all.

For a decade plus the Bills have placed zero value on intelligence on draft day and I've always felt Gilmore couldn't see the forest for the trees and always needed to learn by repeated error.

That doesn't work in a NE scheme where they expect you to change defensive approach from week to week based on the opponent.

Physically, he's close to the ideal for that because he has the cover skill to play man and the long, tall body to play zone..........but between the ears he's not sharp. And then there is the physicality issue........even if they adapted their scheme to his strengths......that was always going to be a problem.

I only saw a few plays of the Rams game and Goff was throwing it up to Watkins only for him to be double covered and unable to bring it in. I think his confidence in Watkins is building and he will start to get better statistically sooner than later. It takes time to build chemistry and he didn't have all of camp like woods and Kupp.

On the other hand Gilmore has not grasped the Defense in New England and has blown so many coverages by go after the wrong player that he's lucky he's on the field. He's more of a bump and run out on an island type corner which isn't how New England plays so I think it will be a difficult Adjustment and he really didn't fit the System.

I think both will have some level of success eventually. But, how many times have we seen our players from our secondary look good for us and fall flat somewhere else. Byrd, Clements....

I never thought to compare them since they play on different sides of the ball and they were shown the door at different times.

Since I think Sammy is a world-class talent, I suspect that he'll do better than Gilmore over the long haul. His problem in LA has been that Goff doesn't have the same confidence level in him that he has in Kupp and Woods, but that will change as the season goes on, and especially next season if he re-signs with LA.

What I find funny is the silence from all the Bills fans who justified trading Watkins because they claimed Watkins couldn't stay healthy. Now that Matthews, the supposedly always healthy WR who replaced Watkins, has struggled to stay healthy enough to play, you hear nothing but crickets.

Yet despite Sammy being mostly healthy, and Matthews missing games, their numbers are not all that different.

Matthews would be an excellent number two wideout. Hopefully that is what he is next year.

Gilmore is getting toasted but he's still going to get a ring. Watkins will never get enough targets until he goes to a pass first type team. He would be wise to take less money and go to a team that throws it 40-50 times a game otherwise he's going to pout about it and be a locker room cancer

Yet despite Sammy being mostly healthy, and Matthews missing games, their numbers are not all that different.

Matthews would be an excellent number two wideout. Hopefully that is what he is next year.

Philly dumped Matthews in favor of journeyman deep threat Torrey Smith because they know that their QB's a strong deep thrower and they wanted all of their wideouts to be good fits for his game.

Bills did the EXACT opposite with their QB.

I like Matthews but most teams don't want a big slot........and that's what he is.

Most teams prefer to have someone who can get open quick or a TE.

Will be interesting to see his market in FA.........Eagles basically had to give him away in trade.

I didn't think Gilmore played well last season - though I wasn't sure how much of that was Rex. I viewed his loss as inevitable and nothing much to cry about.

Watkins is often hurt but when healthy was one of maybe two legit weapons we had an offense. That trade hurt me and my optimism for our offensive productivity.

Neither.

But I figured Watkins would struggle because of his QB situation. That hasn't exactly been the case. Goff has been good enough. The fact hat he has been healthy all year and is still struggling is alarming. He actually might not be that good. You can only make so many excuses for a player. Besides that one good game, Watkins has disappeared in the Rams offense far more then he ever did in ours. I don't know that Watkins ever had three straight games as a Bill for only 2 catches and 28 yards total. Elite receivers just don't do that regardless of who is throwing them the ball.

I thought it would be Watkins. Gilmore to me was a very good man corner, but not a 13 million a year player. He gets too easily confused with zone concepts, and he doesn't tackle well. I was surprised Billy Boy spent so much on him.

Watkins I still wish had not been traded. I was hoping to see him used on short slants, screens, etc. where he could have used his speed and agility to make a ton of YACs. But even with the Rams they aren't using him that way, and I find it puzzling. The only explanation is that maybe he's just not as good as I and many others thought.

Philly dumped Matthews in favor of journeyman deep threat Torrey Smith because they know that their QB's a strong deep thrower and they wanted all of their wideouts to be good fits for his game.

Bills did the EXACT opposite with their QB.

I like Matthews but most teams don't want a big slot........and that's what he is.

Most teams prefer to have someone who can get open quick or a TE.

Will be interesting to see his market in FA.........Eagles basically had to give him away in trade.

really, the Rams would have been much better trading a 4th for Matthews than Watkins. They likely didn't know they could get him, though.

I didn't think Gilmore played well last season - though I wasn't sure how much of that was Rex. I viewed his loss as inevitable and nothing much to cry about.

Watkins is often hurt but when healthy was one of maybe two legit weapons we had an offense. That trade hurt me and my optimism for our offensive productivity.

I'm with you. I couldn't figure out if it was Rex or Gilmore. Likely it was lack of safety help and Rex.

Gilmore needs a good dynamic safety tandem to adjust to his strengths which is under man press

He would have been better in Carolina or Sam Diego.