Tyrod Taylor held to higher standard bc he's black ?

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I take it you are not African American and/or an African American QB that plays in the NFL. I understand his views and its not an excuse.

I will say this he comes to play, prepares. Every game weve played this year weve been in the actual game. I agree with him everything has to be perfect because of the position he plays and the fact he is African American. Being an African American QB comes with the pressure. Only two African American QBs have won a Super Bowl. Why cant he not say that there is pressure for him to be perfect? He understands that he wants to be the best he can be and compete. We are 3-2.

You have Trent Dilfer as your icon, he didnt have the best stats in 2000, but he won games that year to win a Super Bowl.

OP, explain to me something that makes you have to be perfect because of the stigma that surrounds your ethnic background?

....don't be an azz and solely think racism is a color issue.....had a headhunter call me from Georgia about a CFO job and when he heard my last name, he said quote, " so you're one of them Eye-talians".....now what?....take the blindfold off......linguine or collard greens................

Yes. There are stupid people everywhere.

Just send them this....

1jysrn.jpg

....don't be an azz and solely think racism is a color issue.....had a headhunter call me from Georgia about a CFO job and when he heard my last name, he said quote, " so you're one of them Eye-talians".....now what?....take the blindfold off......linguine or collard greens................

Italian jokes are great though

Since I am the editor on the actual story and not what someone at another site decided to pull from it, let me say this: those are two quotes pulled from a 40-minute one on one sitdown with Taylor. And frankly, not a fair characterization of the thrust of the conversation.

The full piece along with a wide array of excerpts from the interview will be in the Sunday print edition of The Buffalo News. We also will be making more of it available to non BNblitz.com subscribers. If you are a print or digital subscriber, it is on the site now.

So maybe reserve judgment until you see the whole thing.

Josh

I just read the full article. She's an excellent writer. Great piece!

I swear, except for those that have clearly ethnic names (Nick O'Leary) or high national visibility (McCoy), I couldn't tell you what race most players are. Jordan Mills, John Miller, Ryan Groy, Joe Webb, Eddie Yarborough...don't know, don't care.

The rockets GM had an interesting policy to try to eliminate racial stereotypes from their scouting - only comparing guys skill sets across racial boundaries. In other wards the scout evaluating TT couldn't come in comparing him to cam or jameis or Cunningham or... it had to be comparisons to other races.

Allegedly it was a major struggle for professional evaluations but we as fans we of course obviously know we are above it.

Just thought it was an interesting dynamic that I once read about.

Those are the quotes that were chosen to release to the public, on Saturday, which was published with the following Tweet:

[bN] Blitz exclusive: “I’m held to a higher standard – and I welcome that,” #Bills QB says.

The reaction to the TBN story was objective and actually defended Taylor's stance on mobile passers. But we all know nobody bothers to read past headlines today anyway

Since I am the editor on the actual story and not what someone at another site decided to pull from it, let me say this: those are two quotes pulled from a 40-minute one on one sitdown with Taylor. And frankly, not a fair characterization of the thrust of the conversation.

The full piece along with a wide array of excerpts from the interview will be in the Sunday print edition of The Buffalo News. We also will be making more of it available to non BNblitz.com subscribers. If you are a print or digital subscriber, it is on the site now.

So maybe reserve judgment until you see the whole thing.

Josh

OP, I take it you are not African American and/or an African American QB that plays in the NFL. I understand his views and its not an excuse.

I will say this he comes to play, prepares. Every game weve played this year weve been in the actual game. I agree with him everything has to be perfect because of the position he plays and the fact he is African American. Being an African American QB comes with the pressure. Only two African American QBs have won a Super Bowl. Why cant he not say that there is pressure for him to be perfect? He understands that he wants to be the best he can be and compete. We are 3-2.

You have Trent Dilfer as your icon, he didnt have the best stats in 2000, but he won games that year to win a Super Bowl.

OP, explain to me something that makes you have to be perfect because of the stigma that surrounds your ethnic background?

No, I'm under 40. We don't do the racism or have to be perfect due to race.

3 hillbillys on twitter don't speak for us all.

There are many reasons hes held to a higher standard. But being black is a mixed bag, I think. I appreciate his input, but the quotes I read above are his excuses. And he doesnt have the talent to overcome said or unsaid excuses like that. Hes not doing himself, the Bills, or black quarterbacks any favors at all by putting it out there.

Frankly I think he has a point

Take a look at Tyrod's history....before he was even drafted people were trying to move him to wide receiver and away from quarterback because of his exceptional athletisism

QBs that you never heard of and are out of the league were taken in front of him.....he stuck to his guns and here he is

Say what you want about how good of a qb he actually is.....I respect the hell out of him

In my opinion...

A discussion involving race as it relates to criticism of QB performance in the NFL is not a sports topic, it is unproductive, uninteresting, and ultimately, a waste of time.

Fixed

A stand up guy who takes accountability for his poor play > race race race race

Yay this topic!

racist. Don't deny racism just because you're a priveleged white cis white man.

I remember right before the draft there was all this Christian Mccaffrey is getting a raw deal because he is a "white" running back talk. It didn't get half the sarcastic nonsense and vitriol that topics like this get and will continue to get. The hard truth is that people have biases that they don't realize that they have on both sides of every conversation about race. People speak from their experiences and look at things from their own perspective. There will never come a day that the world is completely free of biases related to race but hopefully one day the majority of people will accept that there are things that other people go through that you don't completely understand and cant speak on in any definitive way. Its not because your a bad person but because your perception of someone else reality is incomplete. Seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to tell another man who you don't know what HE is or is not going through? It's ridiculous

In my opinion...

Fixed

I remember right before the draft there was all this Christian Mccaffrey is getting a raw deal because he is a "white" running back talk. It didn't get half the sarcastic nonsense and vitriol that topics like this get and will continue to get. The hard truth is that people have biases that they don't realize that they have on both sides of every conversation about race. People speak from their experiences and look at things from their own perspective. There will never come a day that the world is completely free of biases related to race but hopefully one day the majority of people will accept that there are things that other people go through that you don't completely understand and cant speak on in any definitive way. Its not because your a bad person but because your perception of someone else reality is incomplete. Seriously, how arrogant do you have to be to tell another man who you don't know what HE is or is not going through? It's ridiculous

Christian McCaffrey's white?