AFL Trivia Question

The Bills are one of two original AFL teams to keep the exact same name (city and nickname) through their entire AFL/NFL history. What is the other team that can say that?

I read who the article named as the correct answer, but I think there is one more. The Miami Dolphins was my first thought, am I right or wrong?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are one of two original AFL teams to keep the exact same name (city and nickname) through their entire AFL/NFL history. What is the other team that can say that?

I read who the article named as the correct answer, but I think there is one more. The Miami Dolphins was my first thought, am I right or wrong?

Buffalo and Denver. Miami wasn't part of the original AFL.

Dallas Texans became Kansas City Chiefs

Los Angeles Chargers became San Diego to LA

Boston Patriots became New England

Oakland Raiders became LA to Oakland to Las Vegas

Miami I thought wasn't original but I might be wrong

Denver I think is the other original

Also Houston Oilers became Tennessee Titans

I might be missing one

without google, I believe it would be Denver. The AFL expanded from the original teams that included Cincinnati and Miami. So if you include the expansion AFL, there would be 4. Buffalo, Denver, Miami, and Cinci.

I might be missing one

New York Titans

http://www.remembertheafl.com/AFLdecals.htm

Some of the original Logo's are still cool.

ChargingBison1965w400.gif

I actually like this Helmet alot

BillsHelmetWithChargingBuffalo_small.jpg

BillsPlaqueFromSchilling_small.gif

Haha

RaidersMoustache.jpg

Early Raiders logo from a 1960 pennant. The moustache seems to be a remnant of the originally considered name of the franchise, the 'Senòres'.

Edited by Real McCoy

I thought I remembered reading that Ralph Wilson had his choice of Buffalo or Miami. We know which he choose. So that made me think that Miami was part of the AFL back then.

Ralph looked at Miami originally but could not get a deal for the stadium. Then he came to Buffalo and the then editor of the News convinced him that he'd get a ton of fan support. That plus the Rockpile and they were set.

"The AFL's original lineup consisted of an Eastern division of the New York Titans, Boston Patriots, Buffalo Bills, and the Houston Oilers, and a Western division of the Los Angeles Chargers, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, and Dallas Texans."

The Dolphins were added in 1966-67...

150px-AmericanFootballLeague.png

Edited by Lurker

I thought I remembered reading that Ralph Wilson had his choice of Buffalo or Miami. We know which he choose. So that made me think that Miami was part of the AFL back then.

Because Detroit was taken. And @ the time, 1959, Miami didn't take it seriously... They had the U and the Orange Bowl, thought Pro-Bowl (another League) was a joke. BFLo was by default. I think Miami had a team in the late 1940s AAFC, the Miami Seahawks.

So in order, he would have picked:

Detroit

Miami

BFLo

Door prize was that Gross Pointe Shores is only 5 hours away from BFLo via his Ford Fairlane.

Sorry to be the ray of sunshine!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

"The AFL's original lineup consisted of an Eastern division of the New York Titans, Boston Patriots, Buffalo Bills, and the Houston Oilers, and a Western division of the Los Angeles Chargers, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, and Dallas Texans."

The Dolphins were added in 1966-67...

150px-AmericanFootballLeague.png

Yup, Bengals also added in 1966.

I might be missing one

....GREAT job bud.!!...the OLD AFL brings a tear to my eye....and you are correct about the 'Fins who came on in 1966.....the late great Ralph Wilson loaned the Oakland Raiders $400,000 to keep them afloat for the good of the league.....the late Hank Stram in SB IV with "65 toss power trap" miked call was THE best.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Because Detroit was taken. And @ the time, 1959, Miami didn't take it seriously... They had the U and the Orange Bowl, thought Pro-Bowl (another League) was a joke. BFLo was by default. I think Miami had a team in the late 1940s AAFC, the Miami Seahawks.

So in order, he would have picked:

Detroit

Miami

BFLo

Door prize was that Gross Pointe Shores is only 5 hours away from BFLo via his Ford Fairlane.

Sorry to be the ray of sunshine!

So did Buffalo. They were the Buffalo Bisons in 1946 and were renamed the Buffalo Bills for the 1947-1949 seasons until the league folded. The NFL took three of the AAFC teams when the AAFC folded...the Cleveland Browns, SF 49ers, & Baltimore Colts. The Colts were selected to be the third team...over the Bills.

....GREAT job bud.!!...the OLD AFL brings a tear to my eye....and you are correct about the 'Fins who came on in 1966.....the late great Ralph Wilson loaned the Oakland Raiders $400,000 to keep them afloat for the good of the league.....the late Hank Stram in SB IV with "65 toss power trap" miked call was THE best.....

He also loaned money to then Boston Patriots owner Billy Sullivan for the same reason. Damn Ralph! :P

Also the daryle Lamonica trade, the Raiders were really struggling to attract fans and some speculate that partially explains why we did one of the worst trades of all time. Also the rumor Lamonica was either banging Ralphs or Kemp's wide also may have factored into it.

The Dolphins came a few years after 1959.

The answer is the Denver Broncos. Too easy :)

Boston Patriots/N.E. Patriots

New York Titans/Jets

Los Angeles Chargers/SD/LA

Oakland Raiders/LA/Oak

Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans

Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs

Also the daryle Lamonica trade, the Raiders were really struggling to attract fans and some speculate that partially explains why we did one of the worst trades of all time. Also the rumor Lamonica was either banging Ralphs or Kemp's wide also may have factored into it.

....you know, the Mad Bomber is only 73....wonder if we should call 'em......I'll leave it right there......