AFL Trivia Question

whoa! i thought i knew everything .. but you may have me on that one! if you give me the initials , i may get it!

All I can recall is, it was in the first 2-3 years of the league. He played on one of the teams out west, KC, Houston maybe. We're talking about 55 years ago. Our

family was over to our grandmother's house for Sunday dinner. Had the game on & the play by play guy mentioned it during the game. That's all I can remember.

The reason was, that he used it for motivation, because teacher's salary was so low. It MUST have been low ! Because those players didn't get squat for money.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've told this story before...

My family lived in Ormond Beach in the '60's. When I was in 3rd grade ('65-'66) our elementary school PE teacher was a guy named John Stofa. One day, he was gone. My mother showed me an article in the newspaper that said he was picked up by the expansion Dolphins to play QB. I think it was their second season of existence. He played in Miami (back up QB mostly) for a few years, and then he bounced around the AFL for a few more years. An ok career. I googled him a while back and it turns out he was playing semi-pro football in the Daytona Beach area and was an elementary school PE teacher to make enough money to live on. He was not a fun PE teacher. Very strict and serious.

Wasn't he from UB?

All I can recall is, it was in the first 2-3 years of the league. He played on one of the teams out west, KC, Houston maybe. We're talking about 55 years ago. Our

family was over to our grandmother's house for Sunday dinner. Had the game on & the play by play guy mentioned it during the game. That's all I can remember.

The reason was, that he used it for motivation, because teacher's salary was so low. It MUST have been low ! Because those players didn't get squat for money.

Houston Oilers WR Charlie Hennigan:

"During his first training camp, Hennigan had taken the stub from his final paltry paycheck as a teacher and taped it inside his helmet as a reminder of where he'd been — and where he didn't want to return."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Hennigan-Groman-pivotal-to-Oilers-two-AFL-titles-1608991.php

Edited by ExWNYer

I loved the old AFL, maybe it was because i was so young but the NFL was boring as heck tome, pound and ground and then you had high flying QBs like Hadl, Namath, Lamonica that loved long bombs. Games with 3 or 4 long bomb TDs along with 4 ints were not uncommon.

By the time i watched football the NFL was the only game in town. Any old AFL bills games worth watching? With high flying offenses?

By the time i watched football the NFL was the only game in town. Any old AFL bills games worth watching? With high flying offenses?

The AFL championship teams were strong defensively. Go back and watch the 64 game and Stratton's Hit Heard Round The World. I was there to see it

without google, I believe it would be Denver. The AFL expanded from the original teams that included Cincinnati and Miami. So if you include the expansion AFL, there would be 4. Buffalo, Denver, Miami, and Cinci.

New York Titans

Ah, Cincinnati and Miami, two teams I could do without.

"During his first training camp, Hennigan had taken the stub from his final paltry paycheck as a teacher and taped it inside his helmet as a reminder of where he'd been — and where he didn't want to return."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Hennigan-Groman-pivotal-to-Oilers-two-AFL-titles-1608991.php

Ex, thanks a lot! That's who it was. I remember now. It's amazing because I have'nt talked about that in decades, mainly because I forgot about it all these

years. It was only during this thread did it come to mind. But anyway, thanks for doing the research Ex. Some more great stuff about the league.

Ex, thanks a lot! That's who it was. I remember now. It's amazing because I have'nt talked about that in decades, mainly because I forgot about it all these

years. It was only during this thread did it come to mind. But anyway, thanks for doing the research Ex. Some more great stuff about the league.

thank you! love these kind of posts.. topics..refreshing change from alotta of the other stuff on here.

"During his first training camp, Hennigan had taken the stub from his final paltry paycheck as a teacher and taped it inside his helmet as a reminder of where he'd been — and where he didn't want to return."[/size]

Thats a really cool story. If i ever make it out of the circus my life has become, ill do same.

I've shared this before, but when I was a kid my dad used to get asked to ref the charity basketball game between the Bills players and Cardinal O'Hara faculty. So I'd go with him and I'd get to hang out in the locker room with guys like Stew Barber and Ernie Warlick, Lamonica, Costa, Bemiller. All great guys.

I've shared this before, but when I was a kid my dad used to get asked to ref the charity basketball game between the Bills players and Cardinal O'Hara faculty. So I'd go with him and I'd get to hang out in the locker room with guys like Stew Barber and Ernie Warlick, Lamonica, Costa, Bemiller. All great guys.

That brings back a memory that has made me angry for forty years. When I was in high school in Mass, the Patriots played a charity basketball game against my high school team. I was never a Patriots fan, but it would have been fun to go to the game. I couldn't go because I had a part time job as a fry cook at a crappy restaurant, and it was my turn to work.

Fred Arbanas the TE had one good eye if I remember too. Charlie Jones and Al Dergotis

Best football cards from the era as well those 65 tall boys AFL versions

Ahh, another one I've forgotten about! Arbanas and his bad eye. I think I got a related story. Babe Parelli, qp for the Pats had bad eyes, and I remember a story

either in the Buffalo paper or maybe post game talk that the Bills defense figured that out, and that Parelli throws to spots on the field where the receiver is

SUPPOSED to be. By watching film. the Bills knew where these spots were & they'd jump the route & intercept it. Parelli was tearing up the league prior to this.

But his game tailed off after that loss to the Bills. All I can say is, take it for what it's worth. Truth? or more AFL folklore? Who cares.