Why is Dareus not in on passing downs?

I don't see what you guys are seeing when it comes to effort on the field? Perhaps in practice or arrival for meetings, but I still see a guy that commands double teams the vast majority of the time he is on the field.

I fear McDermott has already formed opinions of players like Watkins, Darby, and Dareus. Maybe those opinions are accurate but his play on the field has been just as good as any other DT on the team. Watkins was by far the best weapon they had on offense. Gaines has proven to be a good player and better that Darby in this zone heavy scheme but is also in the last year of his contract unlike Darby was.

But I digress, I still don't see the lack of effort on the field and think he deserves more snaps when they are in the nickel and expect a pass based on formation or down/distance.

It's not necessarily effort on the field. Dareus has roughly around 100 snap on defense this season. Kyle Williams, who is 7 years older, has 252. One of these guys is playing to play/training to play and another is just going through the motions.

McD might have an opinion on Dareus already but at this point, its probably right. He thinks he is lazy and doesn't want to play because he knows he's going to get bank either way.

I agree he should be in on passing downs but if he played 1 or 2 plays before the he might need 2-3 plays off because he's not in shape and can't/wont go out there when he's "winded".

EDIT: it's actually 95 snaps on the season for Dareus.

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I could think it could be is maybe they didn't want Dareus to over exert his injury by being in on passing downs too much. Dareus has been pretty solid out there when he gets in, it is just unfortunate that he isn't able to be a 3 down player because of injury.

The only thing I could think it could be is maybe they didn't want Dareus to over exert his injury by being in on passing downs too much. Dareus has been pretty solid out there when he gets in, it is just unfortunate that he isn't able to be a 3 down player because of injury.

Wouldn't him being in on running downs do more to hurt him than passing downs? Running downs are plays you expect to have players pile on in one spot, passing downs are more open and you aren't gang tackling on someones legs as they push the pocket.

Proven to be when he wants. The guy is on his way out and knows it. He's not going to give an ounce of effort.

Completely agree. Marcel checked out awhile ago. There was a time when Dareus cared and played hard and was a good pass rusher. Those motivated days are over for Marcel Haynesworth.

Apparently Cedric Thornton is a better option than a guy making $20 million per season.

Go figure.

McD didn't give him this ridiculous contract.

Production and play he is not offering a vast improvement over Thornton. He is head to shoulders more talent than anyone on the dline and probably on the roster. At this point McDermott is getting aggressive and trying to do whatever he can to get that potential out of Daures. If he doesn't start playing the way Mcdermott wants his hightest paid player to play he will not be here next season. Its very possible he will never be the same guy he was pre contract. That nothing against Daures just reality.

Edited by Mat68

Apparently Cedric Thornton is a better option than a guy making $20 million per season.

Go figure.

Not hard to figure when the 16 million dollar guy(not 20 mill but lets exaggerate the number to make our point more valid) is giving you about 600000 worth of effort. Dareus is gone. You can watch him go through the motions on his next team.

Production and play he is not offering a vast improvement over Thornton. He is head to shoulders more talent than anyone on the dline and probably on the roster. At this point McDermott is getting aggressive and trying to do whatever he can to get that potential out of Daures. If he doesn't start playing the way Mcdermott wants his hightest paid player to play he will not be here next season. Its very possible he will never be the same guy he was pre contract. That nothing against Daures just reality.

With all due respect I think Mcdermott is beyond trying to motivate Dareus. Dareus is just a body at this point used to spell other players till they cut him next june. Edited by Billsmovinup

Not hard to figure when the 16 million dollar guy(not 20 mill but lets exaggerate the number to make our point more valid) is giving you about 600000 worth of effort. Dareus is gone. You can watch him go through the motions on his next team.

With all due respect I think Mcdermott is beyond trying to motivate Dareus. Dareus is just a body at this point used to spell other players till they cut him next june.

Talent really is the great equalizer. Mcdermott doesnt seem like a guy to hold a grudge. If coming off the Bye Daures dominated like he can he would be here and he would play more. Its not like Daures is out of hope or the ship is sailed. Sure its getting close. Mcdermott would much rather have a mature dominate Daures than a guy he has to cut because he isnt living up to his contract.