Happy with this seasons results so far, but..

Contrary to most, I don't see building a team has a many year tedious process (at least not since the 80's) . The reality is that coaches seem to succeed in their new surroundings right away, or they never do. (Compare Pete Carrol's first three years in Seattle to Marvin Lewis first 3 decades with the Bengals).

The fact that McDermott had the team strongly out of the gate is a good sign. The Bills have been far less Billsy than almost all of the last 17 years.

However, teams that contend on top for extended periods of time, tend to have a core group of players that they keep around, with the rest of the roster being designed based on the salary cap. (Think Rothilisberger, Bell, Brown on Pittsburg or Newton Kuechle Benjamin on the Panthers.) Even teams with great QBs like Brees or Rivers need to have a few other steady stars to be consistent contenders.

When I look at the Bills the key guys have a lot of years and/or mileage. Kyle Williams McCoy and Alexander. Other steady players like Wood Cognito Dareus and Glenn seem as though they also have limited shelf life on the team for one reason or another.

I am really not sure what assets the team can really build around. If they keep winning 3 out of every 5, i probably won't care too much.

You can build around our whole secondary, and Hughes and Lawson on the D-line. On offense they are basically starting from scratch. In 3 years I'm not sure any current offensive player will still be on the team, and that includes Zay Jones if he doesn't get it together.

Contrary to most, I don't see building a team has a many year tedious process (at least not since the 80's) . The reality is that coaches seem to succeed in their new surroundings right away, or they never do. (Compare Pete Carrol's first three years in Seattle to Marvin Lewis first 3 decades with the Bengals).

The fact that McDermott had the team strongly out of the gate is a good sign. The Bills have been far less Billsy than almost all of the last 17 years.

However, teams that contend on top for extended periods of time, tend to have a core group of players that they keep around, with the rest of the roster being designed based on the salary cap. (Think Rothilisberger, Bell, Brown on Pittsburg or Newton Kuechle Benjamin on the Panthers.) Even teams with great QBs like Brees or Rivers need to have a few other steady stars to be consistent contenders.

When I look at the Bills the key guys have a lot of years and/or mileage. Kyle Williams McCoy and Alexander. Other steady players like Wood Cognito Dareus and Glenn seem as though they also have limited shelf life on the team for one reason or another.

I am really not sure what assets the team can really build around. If they keep winning 3 out of every 5, i probably won't care too much.

...let me ask this......the mark of a good coaching staff is its willingness and ability to adjust both offensively and defensively versus how your plan is working versus opposition on game day.....are you satisfied with the coaching staff's "in game" adjustments be it offensive, defensive or even special teams so far?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The Bengals game was tough. Going in no one thought it would be easy. Many of those complaining now picked the Bills to Lose. Shareece Wright is not as good as Gaines. Mabin is skilled but dropped a timely INT and got a bad PI on third and long. Humber and Matthews were both big contributors to the early success their absence was noticeable. The biggest loss was Clay. He has been the go to guy all year. Even with the injuries the team was in position to win a tough road game. They came up short like in Carolina. The bye comes at a good time to get healthier and get some young guys up to speed. Imo the next game will be a window into Mcdermott as a coach. Good coaches take advantage of time off and extra preparation time. Ried and Hoody always make the most of it. The season is 4 quarters next 3 games to round out the 2nd Quarter are Tampa, Oak and @NYJ. Buffalo should win 2 of the 3 and could easily win all 3. They do that they are now 5 and 3 or 6 and 2.

To me it was pretty apparent during the offseason they didnt even remotely consider working on improving the offence as much as the defence......in a sense thats fine cause our D is now way above the average compared to last season.......but had a feeling this would happen especially with the lack of depth and injuries have been our achilles heal for last several seasons.....

Bills started 4-2 last season.

Bills started 3-2 the season before that (2015).

Bills started 2-0 then 5-3 in 2014.

Bills started 3-0 then 5-2 in 2011.

Bills started 4-0 in 2008.

The Bengals game was tough. Going in no one thought it would be easy. Many of those complaining now picked the Bills to Lose. Shareece Wright is not as good as Gaines. Mabin is skilled but dropped a timely INT and got a bad PI on third and long. Humber and Matthews were both big contributors to the early success their absence was noticeable. The biggest loss was Clay. He has been the go to guy all year. Even with the injuries the team was in position to win a tough road game. They came up short like in Carolina. The bye comes at a good time to get healthier and get some young guys up to speed. Imo the next game will be a window into Mcdermott as a coach. Good coaches take advantage of time off and extra preparation time. Ried and Hoody always make the most of it. The season is 4 quarters next 3 games to round out the 2nd Quarter are Tampa, Oak and @NYJ. Buffalo should win 2 of the 3 and could easily win all 3. They do that they are now 5 and 3 or 6 and 2.

If the Bills are going to have a solid season, these next three games will define it. Go 3-0 and game on. Go 1-2, then my gut says bench TT, go with Peterman and prepare for next year. IMO at this point it's either playoffs or tank. If we go 1-2 put a fork in us. However, 3-0 is very doable assuming we can figure out the run game and score some TD's!

i think the challenge for the Bills is that by the time the core of needed new key players are up and running, the current core will deteriorate:

OL: Incognito is 34 and Eric Woods is 31

RB: Shady is 29

DL: Kyle is 34, Jerry Hughes is 29, Dareus is potentially cut

With that current core out of the medium / long term plan, what do we have?

Cordy Glenn

Shaq Lawson

Preston Brown?

Tre White

EJ Gains

Jordan Poyer

Micah Hyde

That is the group of guys you really root for to improve. And you hope Hughes, Wood, and Shady can defy father time for a year or two longer than average. But essentially, we have a secondary in place with a single piece on each of the lines... Need a QB (depending on your TT view) and need people at every skill position, and need new LBs (-do you consider Preston Brown a core building block?)

Edited by Bill Murray

Beating Denver and Atlanta on the road, these types of quality wins in a row haven't happened since the 90's. Bills are 27-26 since the Pegulas bought them. Not terrible.Before them doesn't matter.

Edited by JM2009

Beating Denver and Atlanta on the road, these types of quality wins in a row haven't happened since the 90's. Bills are 27-26 since the Pegulas bought them. Not terrible.Before them doesn't matter.

Yeah, for anyone who predicted 3-2 at this point, I seriously doubt this is HOW they thought we would get here. Two losses - where just an adequate offense would have been enough to win. Some will want to say this is too soon to point to positive growth. I agree. It's also too soon to condemn. Give it time, people.

Yeah, for anyone who predicted 3-2 at this point, I seriously doubt this is HOW they thought we would get here. Two losses - where just an adequate offense would have been enough to win. Some will want to say this is too soon to point to positive growth. I agree. It's also too soon to condemn. Give it time, people.

Yep. I never thought we would beat Atlanta on the road when the schedule came out. A couple plays from 5-0. This defense is very good. I hope Matthews can play in the TB game.

A lot of luck went into those quick starts.

Fitz playing like the 2nd coming of Montana - but coming back down to earth, comes to mind.

This year, it's the defense. There is no way the turnover differential will keep its current pace. We're not going to keep getting these tipped interceptions that Hyde swoops in like Superman to catch nanoseconds before they hit the ground.

It's not even like our offense has taken advantage of those takeaways.

The conservative "protect the ball" offense will continue to keep us out of the end zone and the defensive points will stop coming.

Other teams will continue to adjust and make our QB play like a QB.

And out, let's say, 4-2 start will end up being another 8 win season.

Yawn.

But the process is real and I do believe it will work in a couple more years. Next year will be more exciting because of all the new draft picks and we won't have to watch Tyrod Taylor "protect the ball," anymore.

We'll get younger/better at OL and and RB. And maybe as an added bonus, Zay Jones might remember how to catch a !@#$ing football!!

The future is bright; I truly believe that.

But right now, the Bills stink and I'm okay with it. I'll enjoy the wins and pay attention to who's responsible for the losses.

Go Bills!

I did if you swap Atlanta and Cincy.

Build the team around Tre, Hyde and Poyer. Solidify the defense and find the qb. April's draft should be offense heavy.