SAL M: Bills WRs have no business being starters.

JM2009

When you prove people wrong and also prove they have a crusade, what do you expect. This shady guy I have blocked as well because his name fits him well. The biggest problem this offense has right now is lack of quality WRs.

Trade Taylor for a wideout. Let's get this thing moving.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3,000 yards is not really that great of an accomplishment. In a 16 game season, that's 187.5 yards a game.

I'm not sure why that seems to be the mark of a good season.

Scoring points and not turning the ball over is a good season for an offense, and they had that. I know posters like you and the Shady don't agree-you want passing yards, that's all that matters. Well, you can't have passing yards with a horrible WR group like we have right now. Maybe three QBs could do something with this group, maybe. TT did ok with Clay and Matthews on the field the last two wins.

As for Zay Jones, I'd like to put in some perspective some of the greatest WRs of our generation:

Jerry Rice - 16 games, 49 catches, 921 yards, averaged 57.9 yards/game, 3 TDs - with Joe Montana throwing to him and the late, great Bill Walsh

Terrell Owens - 16 games, 35 catches, 520 yards, 32.5 yards/game, 4 TDs

Randy Moss - 16 games, 69 catches, 1,313 yards, 82.1 yards/game, 17 TDs - with Culpepper throwing the ball to him

Isaac Bruce - 12 games, 21 catches, 272 yards, 22.7 yards/game, 3 TDs

Steve Smith - 10 games, 10 catches, 154 yards, 10.3 yards/game, 0 TDs

Larry Fitzgerald - 16 games, 58 catches, 780 yards, 48.8 yards/game, 8 TDs

Marvin Harrison - 16 games, 64 catches, 836 yards, 52.3 yards/game, 8 TDs

Reggie Wayne - 13 games, 27 catches, 345 yards, 26.5 yards/game, 0 TDs

Sterling Sharpe - 16 games, 55 catches, 791 yards, 49.44 yards/game, 1 TD

Looking at some of the greatest WRs of our time, it would seem premature to lump Zay Jones into the "can't start at WR" category....especially when you have Tyrod missing him on open routes and given his rookie status.

I agree, I have always said you have to wait for your 3rd year with a WR to see what you really have.

Zay looks like he is trying too hard, he's putting more on his plate than he can handle. Zay does look like he has good hands on one play then drop a easy pass on the next. I will say having Taylor as his QB as a rookie is doing him no favors. Taylor has no touch, rarely gets the ball to the WR in stride for YAC and has poor field vision so when Zay burns a guy and is open Taylor will not see him.

Scoring points and not turning the ball over is a good season for an offense, and they had that. I know posters like you and the Shady don't agree-you want passing yards, that's all that matters. Well, you can't have passing yards with a horrible WR group like we have right now. Maybe three QBs could do something with this group, maybe. TT did ok with Clay and Matthews on the field the last two wins.

LOL....nope. I want a passing offense that is not at the bottom of the league. I don't want a one dimensional offense.

Of course he didn't play in 16 games, though. Not that the average gets a ton better with 15 games, but you may as well look at the actual numbers and not fake ones.

All I said is that 3,000 isn't a great number. I didn't reference anything else.

What fake numbers was I looking at?

LOL....nope. I want a passing offense that is not at the bottom of the league. I don't want a one dimensional offense.

All I said is that 3,000 isn't a great number. I didn't reference anything else.

You won't get that with this WR group no matter who the QB is. Sorry. reality check. TT isn't responsible for every bad thing with this team.

Umm...

3,000 yards is not really that great of an accomplishment. In a 16 game season, that's 187.5 yards a game.

I'm not sure why that seems to be the mark of a good season.

All I did was add the context that we all know he didn't play 16 games.

It's an extreme example on purpose, but it's like someone saying Sammy had a good year last year considering the circumstances at 28 catches for 430 yards and then someone saying '430 yards isn't really all that great. over a 16 game season that's 1.75 catches for <27 yards per game.'

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Umm...

All I did was add the context that we all know he didn't play 16 games.

It's an extreme example on purpose, but it's like someone saying Sammy had a good year last year considering the circumstances at 28 catches for 430 yards and then someone saying '430 yards isn't really all that great. over a 16 game season that's 1.75 catches for <27 yards per game.'

You're really reaching here Hokie. With 28 catches and 430 yards in 8 games, if you average that out in a 16 game season, that's 56 catches and 860 yards.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

I didn't specify Taylor in that. It was a general statement over a 16 game season. I know Taylor didn't play in 16 games, I watch every game.

Why are you being ultra sensitive?

You replied to a post specifically about Tyrod's production last year, and then used the same number from that post over a 16 game period. The subject of the post seemed pretty obvious.

And who's being sensitive? All I did was call you out on the numbers. I even said it's not like 201 per game is much more impressive, but it is accurate.

You're really reaching here Hokie. With 28 catches and 430 yards in 8 games, if you average that out in a 16 game season, that's 56 catches and 860 yards.

but that's not the extrapolation you did in your previous post. I'm not the one reaching here.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/10/08/buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals-week-5-no-passing-game/742725001/

"And they can’t throw it because guys such as Andre Holmes, Kaelin Clay, Zay Jones, and Brandon Tate have no business starting at wide receiver for the Bills, or any other team in the NFL with the possible exception of the Jets and Browns. It’s astounding how inept that foursome was Sunday, and has been all season.

“We didn’t make enough plays on offense, and I take full responsibility for that one,” said quarterback Tyrod Taylor. “We had a bunch of opportunities, left some plays out there on the field. Just a sour taste after this.”

Props to Taylor for shouldering the blame, and he is obviously part of the problem. His continued inability to make big throws in key spots hurts the Bills, but I’m not going to kill him for this game. He had no one to throw to. Time after time he would drop back — a season-high 43 times — and scan the field and no one was open. Seventeen of his 20 completions went to tight ends or backs, many of those on second or third reads."

Calling BS on this one. TT can't get the ball out in time to hit open receivers. He held the ball way too long on Sunday and consequently got sacked a bunch of times. He needs to be able to read more quickly and get the ball out within three seconds. Until and unless he learns to do that it won't matter who his WR's are.

You replied to a post specifically about Tyrod's production last year, and then used the same number from that post over a 16 game period. The subject of the post seemed pretty obvious.

And who's being sensitive? All I did was call you out on the numbers. I even said it's not like 201 per game is much more impressive, but it is accurate.

but that's not the extrapolation you did in your previous post. I'm not the one reaching here.

Hokie, I replied to the 3,000 yards and that's it. I didn't specify Taylor because he didn't exactly throw for 3,000 yards so I used it as a general statement. If I wanted to specify Taylor, I would have used specifically his numbers and per game average but I didn't.

There isn't any extrapolation from me Hokie. You are reaching because you admitted you used an extreme example with Sammy's average which wasn't even accurate.

Hokie, I replied to the 3,000 yards and that's it. I didn't specify Taylor because he didn't exactly throw for 3,000 yards so I used it as a general statement. If I wanted to specify Taylor, I would have used specifically his numbers and per game average but I didn't.

There isn't any extrapolation from me Hokie. You are reaching because you admitted you used an extreme example with Sammy's average which wasn't even accurate.

If that's what you're going with that's fine. The average I gave was in fact accurate, however, just the player I used missed more games (thus extreme).

You won't get that with this WR group no matter who the QB is. Sorry. reality check. TT isn't responsible for every bad thing with this team.

I couldn't disagree with this more. A great QB does much better with this crew... it opens up the run... defense puts more effort in the run... Wr's have easier time getting open...etc. etc. etc. Placing no blame on our average at best QB is a joke.

Yikes!

@FieldYates

Currently healthy Bills WRs/TEs: * Zay Jones * Andre Holmes * Brandon Tate * Kaelin Clay * Nick O'Leary * Logan Thomas * Khari Lee

how anyone can see that lineup and then proceed to crucify taylor, I have no idea.... I honestly don't know if I can remember a worse cast of "weapons" in the drought. its impressively bad. I can only chuckle becuz at one point last year I think I remember saying close to the same thing. LOLOL.

I recall it wasn't that long ago when we were all so happy Tyrod was finally going to have some legit weapons - Watkins, Boldin, Zay, Holmes. That fab four combined for one catch last week.

It's the NFL. There was a week where Antonio Brown had like one catch. Ups and downs in a season.

It's the NFL. There was a week where Antonio Brown had like one catch. Ups and downs in a season.

No doubt. And the Steelers lost an important one because of that. Big Ben followed up by wondering out loud whether he's lost it.

Calling BS on this one. TT can't get the ball out in time to hit open receivers. He held the ball way too long on Sunday and consequently got sacked a bunch of times. He needs to be able to read more quickly and get the ball out within three seconds. Until and unless he learns to do that it won't matter who his WR's are.

His numbers were pretty good when he had Watkins and Woods together on the field. So, you could swap our group with any group-right? All QB.

His numbers were pretty good when he had Watkins and Woods together on the field. So, you could swap our group with any group-right? All QB.

@ChrisTrapasso

Tyrod Taylor in games with his top two pass-catchers ('15-'16: Watkins/Woods) ('17: Matthews/Clay): 64% completion, 7.04 YPA, 32 TD, 7 INT

This from earlier aligns with thought (or fact?) that vast majority of NFL QBs are pretty reliant on (quality of) their top pass-catchers

@ChrisTrapasso

Tyrod Taylor in games with his top two pass-catchers ('15-'16: Watkins/Woods) ('17: Matthews/Clay): 64% completion, 7.04 YPA, 32 TD, 7 INT

This from earlier aligns with thought (or fact?) that vast majority of NFL QBs are pretty reliant on (quality of) their top pass-catchers

Good stat to keep handy.

Remember when some people were arguing that the 2017 WR corps was better than that from last season.

I remember. I recall people saying Zay Jones was an upgrade over Bob Woods too.

There was that one poster that laid it out position by position and said the Bills were either the same level talent wise or better everywhere - that there were no downgrades.

I know people are sick of hearing it - but - who doesn't think this receiving corps would be immensely better if Sam Watkins was still on it.

The receiving corps debacle falls squarely on the shoulders of Mr. Beane.

Well we sucked with last year's receiving core as well. What's the common denominator?

Poor WR quality. Poor pass protection. Oh and the defense is playing much better. We've been 10th and 11th in scoring these past 2 seasons. Maybe we do need a better QB, but it would be nice if he had someone to throw to.

Carson Wentz, the Legion of Boom and the Rams are just some of the most electrifying NFL stories five weeks into the 2017 season. See the other teams who made Gregg Rosenthal's list of most exciting squads.
Moving down

Buffalo's offensive depth: Losing wide receiver Jordan Matthews shouldn't be this devastating for the Bills' offense, but the team simply doesn't have any other reliable wideouts. Matthews' loss will be felt even more following the knee injury to tight end Charles Clay, which will require surgery. It's amazing that Tyrod Taylor, No. 31 in the league in attempts entering Sunday, threw the ball 25 times in the first half of a game where his top weapon was tight end Nick O'Leary.