Dennison Likes What He's Seen from His Offense

There is no stone he won't leave un-turned....... it's a double negative. It means he will leave stones un-turned. Pretty sure that was not what he meant.

Oh, so he's going to turn this thing around 360 degrees?

(All time favorite athlete quote - Jason Kidd)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the headline of the thread, I just chuckled out loud. I mean I'm glad we're 3-1, but let's not kid ourselves, that's on the defense & our clutch kicker for the most part. Watching our offense rarely makes me think "I like what I see." We're once again abysmal through the air, ranked 31st in passing at the bottom of the league like last season, and our run game isn't as consistent or threatening as it used to be.

Our leader in receptions is our TE, followed by our RB. Our 2nd round "sure-hands" WR is averaging 1 catch a game. Our O-line can't pass protect, Tyrod is getting happy feet more quickly than ever, and he overthrows wide open guys a couple times a game, or he simply doesn't see them as he doesn't look beyond his 1st read before he takes off running. Last week he had that one TD pass where he looked through his progressions, remained calm, and hit the open guy in the end-zone & looked fantastic! If only he was more patient like that, coupled with our line being able to block in similar fashion, I could definitely say "I like what I see" from this offense.

Sadly, it looks pretty inept most of the time. I would just like for once to be confident on 3rd & 4 or even 3rd & 8 that we can come away with that conversion. It just seems like if we ever get to 3rd down, I'm more confident we're just going to be punting the next play.

That part is completely false. Except for he overthrows wide open guys a couple times a game. Every QB does that.

As for being ranked 31st in passing its because he averages 24 attempts per game. Tyrod has been very efficient with those 24 attempts. Tyrod is 10th in the league in yards per attempt. If you want more passing yards blame the OC. Tyrod has delivered what they ask him to do.

...first, returning this defense to its pre-Wrecks dismantling debacle in ONE off season is NOTHING short of remarkable.....plenty of posts pre-season about genuine concerns for LB corp and secondary......who had the club REALISTICALLY at 3-1 at the quarter pole?.....and the defensive resurgence takes pressure of the offense by keeping the club in the game.....the Dennison/TT marriage was never to be nor will it EVER be Air Coryell/Fouts.....but the kid is showing gradual improvement weekly....call it baby steps.......and if they can continue, even with pedestrian numbers that yield weekly "W's (TEN would be a nice round number)", who cares?......they still will draft a 1st round QB in 2018 regardless IMO............

I'm not so sure about the first round QB. With Rosen and Rudolph and maybe Darnold off the board early, history dictates about 10% of the next wave of QB's succeed. The best of that lot is probably Faulk and I think we can poach him in the early 2nd if the FO really believes in him.

I don't see us trading up, it will probably be a big climb to the #2 or #3 spot to get "the man". We are better off addressing OT/OG, WR, DT, LB with our top picks than taking a shot with destiny.

I don't love the offense yet for lack of big play ability, but I give credit where credit is due. Sustaining long drives in clutch times has been really really sweet to see. I don't know how many years I've seen the Bills unable to chew the clock when holding a lead in the 4th, then finishing that drive with points to put a game away. We are doing this more consistently than I've seen since Thurman was in the backfield. If we can open it up a bit and get consistent big plays, this team could be marching toward the playoffs.

We have a few things we've been missing for awhile. A consistent, clutch kicker and punter, a strong defense and a coach who actually knows something more than what's on the menu at the buffet.

what bugs me about this offense is that everything we are bad at this year we were good at last year. they need to stop changing up schemes every 3 years. the Pats have an offense and a defense. doesn't matter who the coordinator is, they still run that scheme. we need a Buffalo offense. for example, when Dennison retires we will simply get someone to come in and take over where he left off and run the Buffalo brand of offense. we were #1 in the NFL in rushing and then they completely changed up to a new blocking scheme. makes no sense. if we had last year's offense with this year's defense we would be unstoppable

That part is completely false. Except for he overthrows wide open guys a couple times a game. Every QB does that.

As for being ranked 31st in passing its because he averages 24 attempts per game. Tyrod has been very efficient with those 24 attempts. Tyrod is 10th in the league in yards per attempt. If you want more passing yards blame the OC. Tyrod has delivered what they ask him to do.

It's funny how the OC thread gets turned into a TT thread.

This simple fact is this. The Bills have 6 Offensive TD's through 4 games (Half of which came week1). 1.5 TDs by our Offense per game is really nothing to like IMO from our Offense. If we can get that number up to about 2.5 - 3 TDs per game we might be cooking.

Edited by Real McCoy

what bugs me about this offense is that everything we are bad at this year we were good at last year. they need to stop changing up schemes every 3 years. the Pats have an offense and a defense. doesn't matter who the coordinator is, they still run that scheme. we need a Buffalo offense. for example, when Dennison retires we will simply get someone to come in and take over where he left off and run the Buffalo brand of offense. we were #1 in the NFL in rushing and then they completely changed up to a new blocking scheme. makes no sense. if we had last year's offense with this year's defense we would be unstoppable

Well in summary, yes they would be much better. Probably not unstoppable, but a real playoff threat. Unfortunately , the early struggles on offense were predicted by many on this board. New schemes, less talent were bound to have an effect. There is still time to improve and even to make the roster better offensively. If they manage to beat the Bengals to go to 4-1 it would be negligent to not make some kind of a move for a wideout. The coaching churn has definitely had an impact. It's hard to believe Dennsion can like too much of what he's seen thus far.

When I saw the headline of the thread, I just chuckled out loud. I mean I'm glad we're 3-1, but let's not kid ourselves, that's on the defense & our clutch kicker for the most part. Watching our offense rarely makes me think "I like what I see." We're once again abysmal through the air, ranked 31st in passing at the bottom of the league like last season, and our run game isn't as consistent or threatening as it used to be.

Our leader in receptions is our TE, followed by our RB. Our 2nd round "sure-hands" WR is averaging 1 catch a game. Our O-line can't pass protect, Tyrod is getting happy feet more quickly than ever, and he overthrows wide open guys a couple times a game, or he simply doesn't see them as he doesn't look beyond his 1st read before he takes off running. Last week he had that one TD pass where he looked through his progressions, remained calm, and hit the open guy in the end-zone & looked fantastic! If only he was more patient like that, coupled with our line being able to block in similar fashion, I could definitely say "I like what I see" from this offense.

Sadly, it looks pretty inept most of the time. I would just like for once to be confident on 3rd & 4 or even 3rd & 8 that we can come away with that conversion. It just seems like if we ever get to 3rd down, I'm more confident we're just going to be punting the next play.

I would have to disagree on the 3rd down conversions. I would argue that being tied for 12th best in 3rd down efficiency is hardly inept.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2017&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=DOWN_3RD_PERCENTAGE

I am in the camp that thinks the offence has done mostly what its been asked told to do, take care of the football (obnoxiously taking care of the football). I believe that the game plan is to ride the strength of the defense, until they cant. I don't think they have yet been down more than 6 points in a game. As long as they are within a score, it think it will be boring football. Just like when they have the lead, the goal is to not make it easy for the other team by turning the ball over in your own end of the field. If you'd like to see TT drop back for a pass more than once in a 3 down series, your not going to like it. I have seen times where they will be a little more risky, and when they have been, they are usually effective at moving the ball. I will hold my criticism of the offence on what they can, or cannot do, until they are down a couple of scores.

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

It's funny how the OC thread gets turned into a TT thread.

This simple fact is this. The Bills have 6 Offensive TD's through 4 games (Half of which came week1). 1.5 TDs by our Offense per game is really nothing to like IMO from our Offense. If we can get that number up to about 2.5 - 3 TDs per game we might be cooking.

Hey, I want to see more offensive scores too. Maybe when the coaching staff decides they don't want to go into a shell when we have a one score lead we will. Two of the four games we played against the 4th and 6th ranked scoring defenses.

I think he was referring to his hands.

Now that's funny.

I'm conflicted. I think we would be better this year keeping last year's scheme, but McBeane are in this for the long haul. They must feel moving forward that this change will ultimately be the Bill's offense. But I hear what you're saying, This flip-flopping of schemes has cost us dearly.

.....hate to bring it up, but will do anyway because he is top 5 HC GOAT......Belichick often talks about winning "all three phases of the game" as in offense, defense and special teams.....Buffalo's defense is winning their phase despite being assembled in ONE off season.....Steven & company are doing a "kick azz (PUN intended)" job on ST........and the offense is doing their part despite the yipsters whining about <300 yd passing games......running game has been temporarily bottled up but the "W" got "put on the board (Hawk Harrelson speak)" anyway.....what the hell else do you want?......

We get it.... The Bills are 3-1 and thus the offense is great regardless of their actual stats.

What they have done is hold on to the ball and have 1 TO..... If they go the entire season with 4 TO's and 12-4 I will eat my words.......

Edited by Billsfan1972

It's not false, there has been plenty of breakdowns from PFF that have shown we have wide open guys he never sees, or he simply throws over their heads. And I wouldn't have to blame the OC if Tyrod hit those guys on 3rd down. Then guess what? Instead of punting he'd have another set of downs to add to his passing stats. If he only averages 24 attempts per game, that's also on him. He would have more opportunities if we didn't go 3 & out 48% of the time. You act like being 10th in the league in yards per attempt is a huge sign of something relevant. You do realize he averages 7.52 per attempt at 10th while the guy at 21 is averaging 7.01 per attempt, and the guy at 6th is averaging 7.88 per attempt.

That's not a lot of separation. That's a separation of tenths of a yard. 1st-5th place on that list average over 8 to 9 yards per attempt, everyone else is middle of the pack including Tyrod. That's probably the least relevant stat in terms of judging success at QB when he's near dead bottom in yards per game, and TD's. Yards keep the offense on the field getting us a new set of downs, increasing time of possession, and getting into scoring range while TD's get us actual points on the board. Yards help even if we punt, keeping the field position game in our favor. We give our defense time to recoup by not going 3 & out, keeping them fresh until the end of the game.

Tyrod not seeing and hitting those open receivers has just as much to do with his 24 attempts per game and being ranked 31st in passing. If he was so efficient and successful at throwing the ball, his attempts per game would be higher simply by virtue of staying on the field longer, but because he leads an offense that is 2nd in the league in 3 & outs, he isn't on the field to throw more often. Just see how well those 2 stats correlate - 2nd to last in passing while 2nd overall in 3 & outs. Obviously we wouldn't be so high in 3 & outs if we could pass the ball successfully.

Edited by BigDingus

I feel bad for him Tyrod has had two other OCs that protected him get fired I'd imagine the same blame will land on him at years end if we fail to make the playoffs.

I wonder how many OCs Tyrod will have being a starter for the Buffalo Bills

Edited by xRUSHx

He did. You see a problem with any of it?

Hell yeah i do. We got the most turnover safe QB in the league. Let him sling the rock when we are up by one score and go for the jugular. Dennison pisses me off, stop calling run run pass punt on every drive with a lead or especially after a turnover when we have the lead.

Dennison seems to be pretty delusional but whatever, his popgun offense has done enough the last few weeks against good teams but let's see if it holds up. I don't believe it will especially as injuries loom large.

I think if he trust the pass game more and doesnt run stretch plays with Tolbert instead of shady we should be ok. With Matthews out now...who knows what our pass game will look like tho.

Hell yeah i do. We got the most turnover safe QB in the league. Let him sling the rock when we are up by one score and go for the jugular. Dennison pisses me off, stop calling run run pass punt on every drive with a lead or especially after a turnover when we have the lead.

I think if he trust the pass game more and doesnt run stretch plays with Tolbert instead of shady we should be ok. With Matthews out now...who knows what our pass game will look like tho.

This is the game we find out about the Process. Every team has a game or two with key players out. Playoff caliber teams find a way to adjust and win. The roster moves seem to indicate McD is going all in on shutting down Dalton and ball controlling the Bengals to death. Not a bad plan when your offense looks like a mash unit.

I feel bad for him Tyrod has had two other OCs that protected him get fired I'd imagine the same blame will land on him at years end if we fail to make the playoffs.

I wonder how many OCs Tyrod will have being a starter for the Buffalo Bills

Being hired as a HC (promotion) is being fired?

It's not false, there has been plenty of breakdowns from PFF that have shown we have wide open guys he never sees, or he simply throws over their heads. And I wouldn't have to blame the OC if Tyrod hit those guys on 3rd down. Then guess what? Instead of punting he'd have another set of downs to add to his passing stats. If he only averages 24 attempts per game, that's also on him. He would have more opportunities if we didn't go 3 & out 48% of the time. You act like being 10th in the league in yards per attempt is a huge sign of something relevant. You do realize he averages 7.52 per attempt at 10th while the guy at 21 is averaging 7.01 per attempt, and the guy at 6th is averaging 7.88 per attempt.

That's not a lot of separation. That's a separation of tenths of a yard. 1st-5th place on that list average over 8 to 9 yards per attempt, everyone else is middle of the pack including Tyrod. That's probably the least relevant stat in terms of judging success at QB when he's near dead bottom in yards per game, and TD's. Yards keep the offense on the field getting us a new set of downs, increasing time of possession, and getting into scoring range while TD's get us actual points on the board. Yards help even if we punt, keeping the field position game in our favor. We give our defense time to recoup by not going 3 & out, keeping them fresh until the end of the game.

Tyrod not seeing and hitting those open receivers has just as much to do with his 24 attempts per game and being ranked 31st in passing. If he was so efficient and successful at throwing the ball, his attempts per game would be higher simply by virtue of staying on the field longer, but because he leads an offense that is 2nd in the league in 3 & outs, he isn't on the field to throw more often. Just see how well those 2 stats correlate - 2nd to last in passing while 2nd overall in 3 & outs. Obviously we wouldn't be so high in 3 & outs if we could pass the ball successfully.

I simply disagree with you. I watch over and over how the ball moves when Taylor is throwing and then they go right back to run run 3rd and long pass punt or FG. I watch receivers drop balls that hit their hands. Could Tyrod be better. Yes he could, but he isn't getting much help from his OC by putting him in 3rd and long situations or going into shell mode playing for FGs, nor his receivers. He certainly is getting no help from his running game.

Against Denver he was 20/26 and you are trying to say he would pass more if he didn't miss open receivers plenty of times and he wasn't efficient with the football. A couple of those passes were outright drops. Are you expecting him to complete every single pass? Again against Atlanta.. there were a couple misses yes. Every QB in the league has a couple misses they would love to have back.

I'm not even trying to pump up Taylor here. I just think he gets way too much flak and takes too much blame for a poor offense. The receivers suck. The OC/HC are entirely shell mode with one score leads. The running game goes nowhere which puts even more pressure on an average QB. Most of the time when the playbook is opened up Tyrod has delivered... right up until they go back in shell mode.

As to the part about yards per attempt being the least important stat and yards per game you are looking at as one of the most important... I'm sorry but you aren't going to get the yards if you aren't being asked to throw the football. Yards per attempt is a good indicator that the QB is being efficient with the football. You can claim its not, but it is. Yes he is 10th. Yes the separation is little outside the top 5 QBs. He is still at the top of the middle of the pack and no one is claiming Tyrod is a top 5 QB. What you are saying would be the same thing as saying yards per carry doesn't mean much for a RB.

Edited by Scott7975

Being hired as a HC (promotion) is being fired?

Many coordinators go on to other teams and even get promotions after fired it's how the NFL works. Did Rex get fired when he left the Jests?

He wasn't offered that promotion here he was shown the door so I considered it as he was fired because if that other offer wasn't offered he would be out of a job, period.

#3 OC how many OCs will Tyrod get here in Buffalo? Once again to some it's not Tyrods fault it's the OCs here we go again.

Edited by xRUSHx