Dennison Likes What He's Seen from His Offense

The teams are loading the box and trying to stop the run. The efficiency is going down but it is only adding to the effectiveness of the Pa game. Its a very good place to be in from a play calling perspective. I have noticed some increase in pulling which will help vs 8 man fronts. They are a big run away from getting right back to where they want to be. I want to see some Tawain jones get a carry or 2. His speed will be a good mix up with Mccoy and Tolbert. Whenever Mccoy is out the holes are bigger in running game. Having a quicker back from Tolbert would be nice. I still like his size and change of pace, very much body punch type of runs.

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/196986-are-we-sacrificing-the-run-for-the-pass/

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...first, returning this defense to its pre-Wrecks dismantling debacle in ONE off season is NOTHING short of remarkable.....plenty of posts pre-season about genuine concerns for LB corp and secondary......who had the club REALISTICALLY at 3-1 at the quarter pole?.....and the defensive resurgence takes pressure of the offense by keeping the club in the game.....the Dennison/TT marriage was never to be nor will it EVER be Air Coryell/Fouts.....but the kid is showing gradual improvement weekly....call it baby steps.......and if they can continue, even with pedestrian numbers that yield weekly "W's (TEN would be a nice round number)", who cares?......they still will draft a 1st round QB in 2018 regardless IMO............

It was? 3.25 yards per carry is below the season average (which is near the bottom of the league).

The numbers are deceiving. The running game wasn't consistently getting us yards but there were a couple drives where the run game was crucial and played a role in the victory. Such as that 12m drive that took Atlanta's offense off of the field. That had a lot more value than just the 3 points that it put up.

I thought that was a good point that you made in that thread. I'm not sure how you can quantify that but my instincts tell me there is merit to that argument.

The numbers are deceiving. The running game wasn't consistently getting us yards but there were a couple drives where the run game was crucial and played a role in the victory. Such as that 12m drive that took Atlanta's offense off of the field. That had a lot more value than just the 3 points that it put up.

Good point. I blame McDermott's conservative/puzzling game management decisions late more than I blame the running game. They did look better Sunday. Hopefully that was a step in the right direction.

I thought that was a good point that you made in that thread. I'm not sure how you can quantify that but my instincts tell me there is merit to that argument.

.....hate to bring it up, but will do anyway because he is top 5 HC GOAT......Belichick often talks about winning "all three phases of the game" as in offense, defense and special teams.....Buffalo's defense is winning their phase despite being assembled in ONE off season.....Steven & company are doing a "kick azz (PUN intended)" job on ST........and the offense is doing their part despite the yipsters whining about <300 yd passing games......running game has been temporarily bottled up but the "W" got "put on the board (Hawk Harrelson speak)" anyway.....what the hell else do you want?......

.....hate to bring it up, but will do anyway because he is top 5 HC GOAT......Belichick often talks about winning "all three phases of the game" as in offense, defense and special teams.....Buffalo's defense is winning their phase despite being assembled in ONE off season.....Steven & company are doing a "kick azz (PUN intended)" job on ST........and the offense is doing their part despite the yipsters whining about <300 yd passing games......running game has been temporarily bottled up but the "W" got "put on the board (Hawk Harrelson speak)" anyway.....what the hell else do you want?......

I bolded the silly part.

You need a good offense. Stats can generally be used as a tool to determine whether or not an offense is good or bad.

...stats are highly manipulative to prove or disprove one's point...the noticeable benchmark around here for TT is "300 yards passing"......if he's <300 yards and still gets the "W", what's your point?....is he bad in spite of the "W" then?....do his stats quantify as a "bad" offense in spite of the "W"?............

I guess you would have to look a few years back when the rule changes were made that allowed the passing game to take over.

Go back 5 years and see what QB's are making the playoffs and their passing numbers.

I would say that majority of playoff teams have QB's passing for 4,000+ yards with 28+ TD's.

I would do the same thing with both teams in the super bowl.

When I saw the headline of the thread, I just chuckled out loud. I mean I'm glad we're 3-1, but let's not kid ourselves, that's on the defense & our clutch kicker for the most part. Watching our offense rarely makes me think "I like what I see." We're once again abysmal through the air, ranked 31st in passing at the bottom of the league like last season, and our run game isn't as consistent or threatening as it used to be.

Our leader in receptions is our TE, followed by our RB. Our 2nd round "sure-hands" WR is averaging 1 catch a game. Our O-line can't pass protect, Tyrod is getting happy feet more quickly than ever, and he overthrows wide open guys a couple times a game, or he simply doesn't see them as he doesn't look beyond his 1st read before he takes off running. Last week he had that one TD pass where he looked through his progressions, remained calm, and hit the open guy in the end-zone & looked fantastic! If only he was more patient like that, coupled with our line being able to block in similar fashion, I could definitely say "I like what I see" from this offense.

Sadly, it looks pretty inept most of the time. I would just like for once to be confident on 3rd & 4 or even 3rd & 8 that we can come away with that conversion. It just seems like if we ever get to 3rd down, I'm more confident we're just going to be punting the next play.

3 and out on 48% of drives could use some improvement.

That is incorrect. I just went through the game logs. The Bills had 36 drives. I did not include drives that were final seconds of the game when we kneeled or end of half. Of those 36 drives the Bills had 13 three and outs. Two of them really shouldn't count because it was just clock burning. Not counting two of them their 3 and out percent is 30.5%. Including those two it is 36.1%.

Not sure where you are getting your 48% number from but its bogus.

like or love?

It was that bad ?

No it wasn't actually.

Except for his color selection choice for ascots, Rodak is never wrong -> http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/251447/week-5-nfl-predictions-scores-for-every-game

Well sorry but he is wrong.

I guess you would have to look a few years back when the rule changes were made that allowed the passing game to take over.

Go back 5 years and see what QB's are making the playoffs and their passing numbers.

I would say that majority of playoff teams have QB's passing for 4,000+ yards with 28+ TD's.

I would do the same thing with both teams in the super bowl.

Last year 5 of 12 teams. 5 years ago 4 of 12 teams.