NFL.com: Gregg Rosenthal's QB Index

15 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Considering he has more targets and catches than McCoy he'd lead our team, no? And what competent QB would throw to their RB that much instead of Woods and Sammy?

Not relative to the total number of team targets.

I have another math lesson for you!

LA Rams targets to WR's as a percentage of total:  66.6%

Buffalo Bills targets to WR's:  49.8%

WOAH!  I'm shocked, aren't you?

LA Rams targets to RB's:  18.4%

Buffalo Bills targets to RB's:  24.3%

Woooooooooow.  It's almost like our crappy QB throws to his RB's way more than another team with a competent QB does, and to his WR's less than another team with a competent QB does.  Almost like I said that, word for word.

Thanks for playing.

Edited by jmc12290
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Woooooooooow.  It's almost like our crappy QB throws to his RB's way more than another team with a competent QB does, and to his WR's less than another team with a competent QB does.  Almost like I said that, word for word.

Thanks for playing.

b8RFXBY.jpg

So you're saying Tyrod used to be competent and forgot how to play?

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Ha ha Tyrod at his best year with a full complement of WR's couldn't throw to them more than a second year player.

Thanks for making my point.

Your point was that Tyrod throws to Shady too much instead of wide receivers. Then you established that a competent QB only throws to their RB 18% of the time. I point out that Tyrod had done that 2 of his 3 years, his first 2 years as a starter, and it makes your point? Okay, carry on.

PS: Do you think his reluctance to throw to WRs this year has anything to do with 91 catches on 185 targets? Yikes! Did a double-check to see the updated numbers. 219 WR targets, 109 catches

7 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Your point was that Tyrod throws to Shady too much instead of wide receivers. Then you established that a competent QB only throws to their RB 18% of the time. I point out that Tyrod had done that 2 of his 3 years, his first 2 years as a starter, and it makes your point? Okay, carry on.

PS: Do you think his reluctance to throw to WRs this year has anything to do with 91 catches on 185 targets? Yikes! Did a double-check to see the updated numbers. 219 WR targets, 109 catches

Yes, he does.

Not only does Goff out target TT to his WR's by a significant amount, in every year he's played, but Tyrod only had 1 season (his first) in which he targeted his RB less than 19% of the time.  Tyrod has never targeted his WR's as much as Goff does.  Even with Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Goodwin, Hogan.  

Also Tyrod did not do that in 2 of his first three years.  19% is not the new 18%, just like second is not the new first. Do you read the stuff you post, or are you more interested in defending your boy at all costs?

PS: Do you think his low catch rate has to do with uncatchable throws?

Edited by jmc12290
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Not only does Goff out target TT to his WR's by a significant amount, in every year he's played, but Tyrod only had 1 season (his first) in which he targeted his RB less than 19% of the time.  Tyrod has never targeted his WR's as much as Goff does.  Even with Watkins, Harvin, Woods, Goodwin, Hogan.  

Do you think any of this has to do with the kind of offense each plays in and their coaches philosophy and the plays being called?

McVay (who I swear looks like a boy band singer) is very pass oriented with a good QB.  Our team has been run first and play good D (at least that's the idea) in part because we don't have a QB that can run McVay's offense.  Or WRs for that matter. 

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

PS: Do you think his low catch rate has to do with uncatchable throws?

I think half of it is Zay alone, seriously. 71 Targets, 25 Catches.

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Yes, he does.

Also Tyrod did not do that in 2 of his first three years.  19% is not the new 18%, just like second is not the new first. Do you read the stuff you post, or are you more interested in defending your boy at all costs?

Where did you get your numbers by the way? Because Pro Football Reference has them with 299 WR targets, 97 RB targets, and 476 total targets. That put him at 62.8% to WR, and 20.4% to RB.

Great math lesson!

SCHEIN NINE
After a tumultuous 2017 season, full of tension, injuries and constantly changing schemes, who should be shopping for a new squad? Adam Schein has nine players and coaches who would thrive next season with new jerseys.

3) Tyrod Taylor, quarterback, Buffalo Bills

I like Tyrod Taylor. Always have, always will. I went bonkers when Sean McDermott inexplicably benched him for Nathan Peterman against the Chargers. Five first-half picks later, my initial intuition was validated: It was the worst coaching decision of the season. Now the Bills' interminable playoff drought might just continue courtesy of the tiebreaker the Bolts gained from that win. Ugh.

Is Tyrod Taylor a superstar? No. But he's undoubtedly a legit NFL starter. In three years as the Bills' QB1, Taylor has piled up a 50:16 touchdown-to-interception ratio to go along with a 92.2 quarterback rating. That kind of production should be plenty enticing for teams like the BroncosJaguarsGiantsand Jets, among others (depending on draft position, coaching situation or playoff result).

For the most part, McDermott has done a fine job in his first year as Buffalo's head man. He's changing the culture of a franchise that hasn't seen the playoffs since the last season of last millennium. But it's a shame how McDermott has treated Taylor -- that Week 11 benching was an epic fail that unnecessarily emasculated the veteran signal caller. There's just no coming back from that.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
SCHEIN NINE

3) Tyrod Taylor, quarterback, Buffalo Bills

I like Tyrod Taylor. Always have, always will. I went bonkers when Sean McDermott inexplicably benched him for Nathan Peterman against the Chargers. Five first-half picks later, my initial intuition was validated: It was the worst coaching decision of the season. Now the Bills' interminable playoff drought might just continue courtesy of the tiebreaker the Bolts gained from that win. Ugh.

Is Tyrod Taylor a superstar? No. But he's undoubtedly a legit NFL starter. In three years as the Bills' QB1, Taylor has piled up a 50:16 touchdown-to-interception ratio to go along with a 92.2 quarterback rating. That kind of production should be plenty enticing for teams like the BroncosJaguarsGiantsand Jets, among others (depending on draft position, coaching situation or playoff result).

For the most part, McDermott has done a fine job in his first year as Buffalo's head man. He's changing the culture of a franchise that hasn't seen the playoffs since the last season of last millennium. But it's a shame how McDermott has treated Taylor -- that Week 11 benching was an epic fail that unnecessarily emasculated the veteran signal caller. There's just no coming back from that.

50 TD's over 3 seasons will certainly have teams salivating.  Will he he have 16 or 17 next year??

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think half of it is Zay alone, seriously. 71 Targets, 25 Catches.

Where did you get your numbers by the way? Because Pro Football Reference has them with 299 WR targets, 97 RB targets, and 476 total targets. That put him at 62.8% to WR, and 20.4% to RB.

Great math lesson!

Also PFR.  

Edited by jmc12290
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Except we already did.  Hotrod came back in for the second half, and then we won 3 out of the next 4.

Exactly why can't one come back from that?

7 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Ooooooh, 21 or 22!!!

It's not like we in a world where QB's double that in a season.

"Enticing" lol.

Really? If you're waiting for Cam Newton's 2015 MVP Season or Aaron Rodgers' 2016 Season you're going to be waiting a while. Those are the only 2 QBs in the past 3 years. Nobody is on pace to get there this year.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's saying Taylor will be with another team in '18. 

We'll see.  I hope he's wrong.

I want to do what Seattle did.  They brought back the previous years starter, Tarvaris Jackson who played OK the 2 years before but not great.  They signed Matt Flynn.  They drafted Russell  Wilson.  They went with the best of the three.

Or the Vikings.  They had Teddy.  He got hurt they traded for Bradford.  Then they signed Case.  Any of their 3 QBs could start on most teams including ours.

Why do we want to put all our QB eggs in one basket?

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Really? If you're waiting for Cam Newton's 2015 MVP Season or Aaron Rodgers' 2016 Season you're going to be waiting a while. Those are the only 2 QBs in the past 3 years. Nobody is on pace to get there this year.

Wentz and/or Watson might've done it.

Luck did it in 2014.

Peyton 2013.  

Brees 2012.

Brees, Rodgers, Stafford 2011.

Half of that is enticing.  LOL

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Ooooooh, 21 or 22!!!

It's not like we in a world where QB's double that in a season.

"Enticing" lol.

I want to join in on this.  I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.

21 or 22 tds or less in a season in 2016: (Tyrod had 23)

Cam Newton 

Carson Wentz

Alex SMith

Joe Flacco

Andy Dalton

Russel Wilson

in 2015: (Tyrod had 24)

Jameis Winston

Matt Ryan

Big Ben

Alex Smith

Marcus Mariota

Tyrod is a middle of the road of the road starter.  As much as you and others want to mock him that is what he is.  The names i listed above are just the big names that Tyrod (gasp) finished better than in regards to tds.  People are invested in the Bills emotionally so they judge Tyrod much harsher than other qbs.  Mariota was very average to even sub par this year.  Tyrod in his worst year as a starter outperformed him in passing tds, ints, and qb rating.  Be honest did you know that before I posted or is Mariota a franchise qb in your opinion?  The Bills should use their capital to try and upgrade the team at every spot including at QB.  However they shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.  Tyrod is looked at around the league as a guy you can win with. Not a guy you win because of but there are only a handful of guys in the league that are like that.

I get wanting a superstar at qb and want the same.  Tyrod has done very well with the cards dealt to him.  His # 1wr was traded in training camp, his #1 te was hurt for a good chunk of the year, there is no #2 rb.  Prior to this year he led a very successful offense that scored a lot of points.  He has a winning record in Buffalo.  He isn't some savior and nobody in the "cot" thinks he is.  He also isn't "the 30-35th best qb in the league."  That's an asinine statement but I'll give you and others a shot.  Name 29 better qbs than Tyrod.  I'll wait... :rolleyes:  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Do you think any of this has to do with the kind of offense each plays in and their coaches philosophy and the plays being called?

McVay (who I swear looks like a boy band singer) is very pass oriented with a good QB.  Our team has been run first and play good D (at least that's the idea) in part because we don't have a QB that can run McVay's offense.  Or WRs for that matter. 

I would imagine an offensive coordinator's approach and play-calling options are greatly enhanced (Brady/McDaniels) or severely limited (Taylor/Take your pick) by the ability of the player running the offense every play. 

We need to find that guy and stop pretending that our current guy who can't do any of those things is just outside the top tier of QBs in the league. 

10 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We'll see.  I hope he's wrong.

I want to do what Seattle did.  They brought back the previous years starter, Tarvaris Jackson who played OK the 2 years before but not great.  They signed Matt Flynn.  They drafted Russell  Wilson.  They went with the best of the three.

Or the Vikings.  They had Teddy.  He got hurt they traded for Bradford.  Then they signed Case.  Any of their 3 QBs could start on most teams including ours.

Why do we want to put all our QB eggs in one basket?

This is exactly the strategy I hope they employ.  Keep Tyrod and hopefully the young guy beats him out.  There is no need to be worse at the position.  Keep Tyrod and try to get better at the position.  Then you know what the floor is.

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Wentz and/or Watson might've done it.

Luck did it in 2014.

Peyton 2013.  

Brees 2012.

Brees, Rodgers, Stafford 2011.

Half of that is enticing.  LOL

Luck had 40 half of that is 20...

Weird that you skipped 2015.  Oh wait nobody got higher than Brady's 36

How about 2016?  Oh Rodgers led the league at 40?

How about in 2017?  Anyone?  No?  

hmm so in the last 3 years NOBODY has doubled 21 or 22.  Prior to that 5 guys have done it in the last 6 years.  

We aren't asking you to change your opinion on Tyrod.  We are asking you to use facts in your argument and not your overemotional overreactions.  That's all.  You can think Tyrod isn't the answer and you can think the teams needs to improve at the spot.  You can't call him the 30-35th best qb when no numbers back that up.  You can't call him a backup at best when there aren't 32 better players than him at the position.  Brian freaking Hoyer was a week 1 starter this year!

1 minute ago, section122 said:

This is exactly the strategy I hope they employ.  Keep Tyrod and hopefully the young guy beats him out.  There is no need to be worse at the position.  Keep Tyrod and try to get better at the position.  Then you know what the floor is.

Luck had 40 half of that is 20...

Weird that you skipped 2015.  Oh wait nobody got higher than Brady's 36

How about 2016?  Oh Rodgers led the league at 40?

How about in 2017?  Anyone?  No?  

hmm so in the last 3 years NOBODY has doubled 21 or 22.  Prior to that 5 guys have done it in the last 6 years.  

We aren't asking you to change your opinion on Tyrod.  We are asking you to use facts in your argument and not your overemotional overreactions.  That's all.  You can think Tyrod isn't the answer and you can think the teams needs to improve at the spot.  You can't call him the 30-35th best qb when no numbers back that up.  You can't call him a backup at best when there aren't 32 better players than him at the position.  Brian freaking Hoyer was a week 1 starter this year!

I know that.  Hokie already said that.  Are you gonna come with something new?

When comprising a list of QB's that had 40 TD's or higher, it's "weird" I skipped a year where no one did so?  Are you feeling okay little buddy?

Edited by jmc12290

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

I know that.  Hokie already said that.  Are you gonna come with something new?

When comprising a list of QB's that had 40 TD's or higher, it's "weird" I skipped a year where no one did so?  Are you feeling okay little buddy?

I feel fine.  You stated that "It's not like we in a world where QB's double that in a season."  Extremely rarely that it does happen.  In fact I just looked it up and there are only 12 seasons EVER where qbs have passed for 40 or more.  That wasn't even your original post it was double 21 or 22.  There have been 8 such seasons in the history of the NFL.  Your post made it try to seem like it happens all the time.  Like I said use facts and people won't have issue with your takes.  Exaggerate and you will be corrected.

Got it little buddy? :lol: (I keed)

4 minutes ago, section122 said:

I feel fine.  You stated that "It's not like we in a world where QB's double that in a season."  Extremely rarely that it does happen.  In fact I just looked it up and there are only 12 seasons EVER where qbs have passed for 40 or more.  That wasn't even your original post it was double 21 or 22.  There have been 8 such seasons in the history of the NFL.  Your post made it try to seem like it happens all the time.  Like I said use facts and people won't have issue with your takes.  Exaggerate and you will be corrected.

Got it little buddy? :lol: (I keed)

Okay okay, almost double.  

You can't call him the 30-35th best qb when no numbers back that up.  You can't call him a backup at best when there aren't 32 better players than him at the position.  Brian freaking Hoyer was a week 1 starter this year!

In no particular order: 

Brady

Brees 

Rogers

Ben

Rivers

Ryan

Wilson

Wentz

Goff

Stafford

Luck

Cousins

Smith

Garappolo

Newton

Bortles

Dalton

Carr

Bridgewater

Manning

McCown

Keenum

Flacco

Brissett

Prescott

Mariota

Bradford

There are 27. Is that close enough for you? 

Palmer

Cutler

Those two don't really count, since they are pretty much done.  But they get us to 29. 

Then there's Tyrod at either 28 or 30, depending on how you look at Carson and Smokin' Jay.

Now we get to the rookies. Tyrod is probably better at the moment, but who knows where they end up in the future. Beathard has already had better single game passing production with a garbage 49'ers WR group, but that could just be an anomaly. 

Trubisky

Kizer

Beathard

Garbage men: 

Glennon

Osweiler

Savage

Yates

etc

etc

etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

In no particular order: 

I give you credit for actually answering.  (serious no sarcasm)

I take issue with Flacco (worse than TT since 15), Dalton (worse that TT since 2015), Palmer (old), Cutler, Brissett (what? please explain), Bradford (can't stay healthy), Mariota (bad this year), Bridgewater (TT light coming off of major injury another I'd like you to tell me why), Eli (it's all over for him)

So that puts him around 20th for me give or take.  Same place he was at the beginning of the year.  I appreciate the discussion.  I'd be happy to debate the guys I've listed here so give it a shot.  How are the guys I listed better than Tyrod?  In what ways?  Is there anything he is better at than them in your opinion?

I take issue with Flacco (worse than TT since 15), Dalton (worse that TT since 2015), Palmer (old), Cutler, Brissett (what? please explain), Bradford (can't stay healthy), Mariota (bad this year), Bridgewater (TT light coming off of major injury another I'd like you to tell me why), Eli (it's all over for him)

So that puts him around 20th for me give or take.  Same place he was at the beginning of the year.  I appreciate the discussion.  I'd be happy to debate the guys I've listed here so give it a shot.  How are the guys I listed better than Tyrod?  In what ways?  Is there anything he is better at than them in your opinion?

Mariota for Tyrod straight up you say no ? 

They cant all be Carson Wentz’s 

4 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

Thanks for playing.

Who cares?

Shady is the absolute best player on our offense by far, Clay is the 2nd best and our WR corps is one of the worst in the NFL for the 2nd year in a row.

That is why Shady is #1 in targets and Clay is #2.

Get the ball in the hands of your best players and that's what we're doing.

What the heck is your problem with that?

Taylor is not the eighth best QB in the NFL and he's not the 11th or the 14th. But he sure as hell is not the 30-35th, either. Everyone, I would say absolutely everyone wants to upgrade on Taylor this off-season. So what is your problem?

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

b8RFXBY.jpg

So you're saying Tyrod used to be competent and forgot how to play?

Not sure if he could ever play. Full time anyway. What tells me he is incompetent isn't stats. It's his decision making (when he does decide to make one). Like on a 4th and four trying to connect with a 240lb tight end on a 45 yd fly pattern. Or with momentum swinging to the enemy, taking a 15 yd sack on first down deep in your own end while you still have a shot at the game. He should know better by now. He's horrible. I would have him as a backup QB that's it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Who cares?

Shady is the absolute best player on our offense by far, Clay is the 2nd best and our WR corps is one of the worst in the NFL for the 2nd year in a row.

That is why Shady is #1 in targets and Clay is #2.

Get the ball in the hands of your best players and that's what we're doing.

What the heck is your problem with that?

Taylor is not the eighth best QB in the NFL and he's not the 11th or the 14th. But he sure as hell is not the 30-35th, either. Everyone, I would say absolutely everyone wants to upgrade on Taylor this off-season. So what is your problem?

The WR's get worse and worse so he's throwing to the rb's more and that doesn't make sense because?

Edited by Maine-iac

3 hours ago, section122 said:

I just realized I accidentally left Watson of the list.

This list is predicated on the fact that this is a passing league -- 300 yards doesn't really mean as much as it used to, and the top guys are occasionally hitting 450-500 in a game. Now, it's not fair to expect 300-500 yards on a regular basis, but you have to have a QB that has a game or two like that somewhere in his bag to at least stand a chance against the big guys. 

Flacco & Eli - The criteria here was "If I have one game against Brady, who would I want under center?" These two guys have done it, are still capable of going for 350+ on rare occasion, can read defenses and run a passing attack at a much higher level than Taylor. 

Palmer/Cutler/Bradford - The only case I can make for them is that they are much better pure passers and that success in the NFL is contingent on throwing the ball. I could see knocking them down though because of Taylor's age and intangibles at the position. These three could go either way, I don't really care. Bradford is probably an upgrade over TT, though. 

Brissett/Bridgewater/Mariota -- Younger guys who have shown that they have higher ceilings than Taylor, especially in the passing game. If I'm a GM, I go with any of these guys over TT and take a shot at the upside.

In fact, the more I think about it... really the only thing keeping Taylor out of the "Osweiler/Savage/Yates" group is that Taylor is much smarter than them, he doesn't blow up in any spectacular fashion. He understands his limitations and works it better. He still costs you games in the end, though. It's just not due to dramatic INTs or some sort of "C'mon Man!" highlight.

• Like (+1) 1

It appears to me that this post is the last gasp , hopefully, of a person or persons who cannot realize the shortcomings of a QB who for three years has driven most of us to drink. Come on Fellow,"s"' pack it up and move on to bigger and better things.

• Like (+1) 2

You ask Von Miller who he and his team would rather face... Tyrod or Brady? Tyrod or Roethlisberger? Tyrod or Rodgers? Tyrod or Brees? 

I dont even even know why I waste my time.... I want the Bills to have a QB that can lead this team to the playoffs year in and year out. Not rely on Andy Dalton.

I hate that everyone thinks he’s so great cause he can run! But what if he didn’t need to run? Make an audible, change the play, actually throw to open recievers, make proper reads....

Great he can run around, he can also get caught and force a 2nd & 25 

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1
  • Like (+1) 1