OK...so saw the replay of the game

Exactly this. If they'd been called the opposite on the field, those two rulings would have also been "confirmed". That's the way it's been gong all season ... the guys in NY have been reluctant to over rule the guys on the field without clear evidence.

Yes, they have. It has been beneficial to the Bills because there often is not clear evidence or camera angles to provide it. I think you mean the calls would " stand" btw, not be confirmed as there wasn't enough evidence. So they stay with the call on the field.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the fumble call: I know that if the refs see that a QB's arm has starting moving forward, and them he starts to lose control (whether because an opposing player has hit his arm or whatever) it is normally ruled an incomplete pass. I know the ruling in this case was that the hit by Hughes forced Ryan to lose control, then Ryan, trying to salvage something out of the play, attempted to move his arm forward and turn the start of a fumble into an incomplete pass. The ruling was that he never regained control to be able to attempt a pass. Therefore it was a fumble. Whether or not the call was correct depends on what the rules say, and I don't know the rule.

I've seen guys lose control of the ball while they're in the throwing motion and it gets ruled incomplete, but that's without being hit on the arm. So if that has anything to do with the rule, it's supposedly stated here:

SECTION 1 - FORWARD PASS

ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION

It is a forward pass if:

1. the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s)
  2. the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

Note: A ball that is intentionally fumbled and goes forward is a forward pass. A ball that is intentionally muffed, and goes forward or backward, is a batted ball (12-4-1).

Item 1. Forward Movement of Hand. When a player is in control of the ball and is attempting to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass.

1. If, after intentional forward movement of his hand, contact by an opponent materially affects the passer, causing the ball to go backward, it is a forward pass, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else.
  2. If, after an intentional forward movement of his hand, the passer loses possession of the ball during an attempt to bring it back toward his body, it is a fumble.
  3. If the passer loses possession of the ball while attempting to recock his arm, it is a fumble.

...which, if I'm reading it right, doesn't exactly cover the play, since Ryan's intentional forward movement of his hand happened AFTER contact by Hughes materially affected the passer. Thus, I have to believe a fumble caused by a hit to the QB's hand is different from a ball that gets a little squirrley in a QB's hand and causes a bad pass, which I've also seen called incomplete.

But again...why should that make a difference? It doesn't matter whether a RB has the ball hit out or simply drops it on the ground: they're both fumbles. I think they made the wrong call on that play.

This call was perfectly within the rules. We see, prior to Ryan's hand moving forward, the chop from Hughes, wherein Ryan loses control of the football...it moves independent of his hand. Though Ryan attempts and somewhat succeeds in regaining his grip, he doesn't regain CONTROL of the ball, per the definition of acquiring control. Had the ball not momentarily dislodged, it's called incomplete.

The more I look at that play, it's pretty obvious it was a pass. The ball moved but he never lost control of it. I'm amazed it wasn't overturned but it wasn't upheld. It was rules that the call " stands" . Or inconclusive . It sure looked conclusive that it was a pass or the longest fumble in history. I'm glad the refs blew it in the Bills favor for once , but the call was pretty bad. Put it this way, if it was Tyrod the board would melt down at that call.

The ball moving is losing control of the ball. Just like when a receiver goes to the ground and the ball moves its called incomplete because he didn't have control of it.

Edited by Scott7975

The more I look at that play, it's pretty obvious it was a pass. The ball moved but he never lost control of it. I'm amazed it wasn't overturned but it wasn't upheld. It was rules that the call " stands" . Or inconclusive . It sure looked conclusive that it was a pass or the longest fumble in history. I'm glad the refs blew it in the Bills favor for once , but the call was pretty bad. Put it this way, if it was Tyrod the board would melt down at that call.

On the Micah Hyde call, the rule is, and was perfectly enforced, that the ground can aid your catch if you show clear possession and the ball doesn't move from the contact to the ground. Even though it was inarguably clear the ball hit the ground, Hyde had two hands on it and the ball didn't move. So they rightfully ruled it a catch according to the rules. If the ball would have moved a tiny bit they would have ruled it incomplete because the ball moving indicated no longer having total possession. Same thing with the Ryan play. The fact it moved out of his hand was the reason for the ruling, no longer control and possession.

Great win..on the road....

but who was the commentator that was crying about every call that didnt go the falcons way in this game.....that was downright disturbing to hear him do this......

Was he just shocked that a powerhouse like the falcons was getting out physicaled by our bills?

So bad and frustrating to listen to

Yeah, the whole game i was getting sick and tired of listening to that guys crying and whining.

I thought the two video challenges that went the Bills way were very questionable calls.

But in a universe where we've spent the past 50 years getting screwed in those situations, I'm glad it was time we got a break...

The key in any moment of a questionable call is how the call was originally called on the field. They can't over turn unless there is clear and decisive evidence to over turn the calls. And in all cases, the refs made the right decision on Sunday, including the one that went against the Bills. So it wasn't so much we got a break as it was the call on the field during live play was in our favor, and then there wasn't enough to over turn.

Here's the link with vid in Slow-MO

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/1/16392946/bills-falcons-fumble-matt-ryan-referees

IDK man, glad we finally got a break. If this was the other way around though I would say he had control going forward. Way to tough to overturn it though.

Edited by Real McCoy

On the Micah Hyde call, the rule is, and was perfectly enforced, that the ground can aid your catch if you show clear possession and the ball doesn't move from the contact to the ground. Even though it was inarguably clear the ball hit the ground, Hyde had two hands on it and the ball didn't move. So they rightfully ruled it a catch according to the rules. If the ball would have moved a tiny bit they would have ruled it incomplete because the ball moving indicated no longer having total possession. Same thing with the Ryan play. The fact it moved out of his hand was the reason for the ruling, no longer control and possession.

I agree with the Hyde call. However you are still incorrect on the Ryan call. The call was allowed to stand, it was not confirmed.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/1/16392946/bills-falcons-fumble-matt-ryan-referees

IDK man, Glad we finally got a break. If this was the other way around though I would say he had control going forward. Way to tough to overturn it though IMO.

I think that shows he didn't have control. He tries to regain but can't. It he had control the ball would not have gone five yards.

IDK man, Glad we finally got a break. If this was the other way around though I would say he had control going forward. Way to tough to overturn it though IMO.

Exactly my point. The Bills benefitted from the fact the refs are " letting things play out". Often the replay is not conclusive. In this case it was not, giving the Bills a questionable TD to the chagrin of ATL fans. I know I'd be pi$$ed if such a call went against Taylor and the Bills. It looks more like a pass than a fumble. The ball is pretty much in his hands. He doesn't push it forward. Man some can't even admit we probably got away with one. We've been on the wrong end many times.

I agree with the Hyde call. However you are still incorrect on the Ryan call. The call was allowed to stand, it was not confirmed.

i understand the distinction. They didn't have to make the distinction either way. I see why people arguing it was in his control are saying it, too. He tries to regain possession and he gets his fingers on it. That, to me, my opinion, is clearly non possession by both sight and logic. It didn't need to be stands or confirmed. That happens other times with questionable calls. They call it stands when it's clearly confirmed.

What Ryan was able to do, was push the ball. He couldn't throw it, which requires his hand to be around the ball and in control of it.

The announcers kept saying that Ryan had regained control of the ball. If he had, the ball would have travelled farther and looked like a pass. This wasn't a case where the QB has control, has his arm go forward, and then someone blocks his arm's motion so the ball squirts out. That would have been an incomplete pass. But, nothing like that actually took place. No one interfered with the motion of Ryan's arm going forward. Therefore the reason the ball moved like it did was that it was pushed and not thrown.

Green seemed to think that pushing a ball forward = control. It's not. That was a good call.

yeah he didnt have control.. just a fumble forward... great job by Hughes

yeah, calls were very close but correct.... the guys on the field see it pretty well

Yup. The Bert Emanuel rule. He was a former Atlanta Falcon (but was a Buc when the rule was created).

I was shocked to see both the turnover calls go the Bills way. Usually that doesn't happen. Both were close but in end I think they got them right.

And yes, Trent Green was abysmal. He was over-emphasizing every little play. "LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS TWO YARD LOSS IS THE GREATEST TWO YARD LOSS IN THE HISTORY OF EVER!!!" And then he'd pick out someone simply doing their job and emphatically rave about it as if the guy just made the play of the century.

Gruden-esque

To be fair, I am used to having "tuck rule" horribly abused, even if its not official anymore. See the pantsing that the Bills gave Johnny football, only to have that fumble/TD overturned. It should, absolutely, have been a touchdown.

This one, well, strict letter would have borne us out. If that had been ruled incomplete on the first call, that is hard to overturn. I wouldn't have been shocked if it was called back. But eff it, I'll take it.

The thing is, you almost never see this call in the NFL, these days. The arm was coming forward, the ball went forward. Yes, it probably was a legit fumble. It's just hardly ever called that way, in the modern NFL. Glad we caught the break, this time.

The thing is, you almost never see this call in the NFL, these days. The arm was coming forward, the ball went forward. Yes, it probably was a legit fumble. It's just hardly ever called that way, in the modern NFL. Glad we caught the break, this time.

I agree

More proof of trying to stay with the ruling on the field unless a mistake is obvious.

Helps the flow of the game,

I like it...