Swimming Naked in Gym

Gugny

I am trying to connect the dots on my "BIL'is gay. Married to your brother or sister? Or some kind of thing I am not thinking about.

Funny you say never took a a shower is school. I remember going the Y in the Falls for family nights on Friday nights as young as age 8 and showering, even with a bunch of old fellas in the showers. Steam room and sauna was all naked as well, never thought about it.

I was also a year-round swimmer, and we would never think of leaving the school pool without showering, the chlorine was just so damn strong.

Like my brother's best friend. He was married had two children then left his wife and kids because He was gay and in love with somebody else.

That's a possibility. Came out after marrying heterosexually.

For the record, my brother's best friend is now married again, but this time to another gay guy

Very confusing!

But that would make him his ex-BiL...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

growing up i had heard of mandatory group showers after gym class (not at my school but others) and that was probably traumatizing enough. then i heard about the nude swimming classes from my wife's step dad and i lost it. i wonder what the millenial generation did that seems crazy to the next generation. probably that i didn't have internet until i was in middle school and my own cell phone until i graduated high school. my cousin's 7 yr old has an iphone

communal showering is a rite of passage for football and hoops teams in high school, and whatever else for male life.

yeah, i guess it could have been traumatic, I didn't qualify for a nickname (at either end of the spectrum) despite about 2000 showering mates through high school and university hoops

growing up i had heard of mandatory group showers after gym class (not at my school but others) and that was probably traumatizing enough. then i heard about the nude swimming classes from my wife's step dad and i lost it. i wonder what the millenial generation did that seems crazy to the next generation. probably that i didn't have internet until i was in middle school and my own cell phone until i graduated high school. my cousin's 7 yr old has an iphone

My father didn't have indoor plumbing till he was a teen. That scared the schit out of us as a child. Even know, we hiked, would canoe, camp, sleep outside under the stars... Even during the winter... It was still unsettling to realize people did it out of necessity and more than just a "getting back to nature" thing on a weekend campout or a two week canoe/ backpacking trip once a year.

My father didn't have indoor plumbing till he was a teen. That scared the schit out of us as a child. Even know, we hiked, would canoe, camp, sleep outside under the stars... Even during the winter... It was still unsettling to realize people did it out of necessity and more than just a "getting back to nature" thing on a weekend campout or a two week canoe/ backpacking trip once a year.

you adjust to your environment for all the senses

those of us with cats apparently have an amazing inability to pick up what those without do when they enter our homes...

communal showering is a rite of passage for football and hoops teams in high school, and whatever else for male life.

Owning Steve Miller Band's Greatest Hits on cassette is a rite of passage.

There is nothing ceremonious, nor does anyone grow in any way (well ....), from communal showering, IMO.

you adjust to your environment for all the senses

those of us with cats apparently have an amazing inability to pick up what those without do when they enter our homes...

Yes. Sort of.

But me not being a "cat person" and having three cats... I am constantly working at it, cleaning.

I mentioned personal deodorant. It was first marketed to woman in the 1910s. Men didnt get marketed till the 1930s. What went on before that? People worked and smelled. Spend $$$ on deodorant. Sure there were perfumes, but every day deodorant.

Same thing with the swimming buck naked thing. Customs were born out of practicality.

Yes. Sort of.

But me not being a "cat person" and having three cats... I am constantly working at it, cleaning.

I mentioned personal deodorant. It was first marketed to woman in the 1910s. Men didnt get marketed till the 1930s. What went on before that? People worked and smelled. Spend $$$ on deodorant. Sure there were perfumes, but every day deodorant.

Same thing with the swimming buck naked thing. Customs were born out of practicality.

do you routinely notice a smell that cat-lovers seems to feel is an essential part of their life, like oxygen, or irony for Canadians?

apparently worrying about squeaky clean hygiene makes one turn down a lot of fun in life, or so i've been told

had a few crazies in my life during my varsity sports year that went right in during the most disgustingly possible scenarios and bragged about it

May have missed if this link was posted earlier, but Rochester D&C recently did an article on the subject:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/local/columnists/andreatta/2017/09/22/andreatta-when-boys-swam-nude-gym-class/694542001/

I went to Charlotte High, featured in the story, in Rochester (pronounced "Sha-Lot") in the 70s and we did indeed swim in the raw. Never gave it another thought until I saw the article. The swim coach pictured, George Graham, was also my football coach.

“They made us shower first, then we’d all stand in line and march into the pool nude,” Reeves said.

that is exactly like Edison Tech in 72 - 73, 73 - 74

I started Edison Tech in September 1972 also. Second day in, I got my ass kicked by some thugs at a nearby bus stop. Determined then that Edison wasn't the place for me, and transferred back "home" to Charlotte.

bummer. Yeah, it wasn't a nice neighborhood. My older brother was a Junior then, so I wasn't alone until I found a group to chill with.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

My Uncle / cousins lived in Charlotte. The youngest would have been Senior in 72.

I was all over Charlotte and the Penny Arcade.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

All you rich folks out there growing up with your fancy-shmancy schools with you indoor swimming pools.

In my day, we had to walk 8 miles each way to school in bare feet to a single-room schoolhouse with dirt floors, and this was after getting up at 4:00 a.m. to help with the farm work blah blah blah...

(disintegrates into old-guy talk)

All you rich folks out there growing up with your fancy-shmancy schools with you indoor swimming pools.

In my day, we had to walk 8 miles each way to school in bare feet to a single-room schoolhouse with dirt floors, and this was after getting up at 4:00 a.m. to help with the farm work blah blah blah...

(disintegrates into old-guy talk)

Edison Tech was (is) a public school. It had neither rich folks (ok maybe 1 of 50) nor was it fancy shmancy. The pool however was OK.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

As I mentioned, I was a year round swimmer. LaSalle had a decent pool, little 4 lane job with a diving board at one end. Hels all our high school meets there, and never a worry.The school is now a Five Below store as part of an outlet mall!

My daughter has been a swimmer last 10 years, most places that pool would not even qualify as a decent warm up/warm own pool!t

I could have pinned you @ that year. You were born about 1978. Ten years after me.

There was huge social & cultural change in those 10 short years between the time I was born & you were born. I saw both sides of that change.

that's right. born in 77. i even saw quite a bit of change after that. i was group texting with some college roommates recently, and we were sharing our, "not ok today" stories. for example, this crazy girl on our floor in college hooked up with one of our friends. he didn't want anything to do with her afterwards, so instead of being angry at him, she confronted us. well, we weren't very nice about it, and a very long story short, she had a legit break down, ran into the woods, and was gone for hours...in a super public fashion. back then we thought, "she's fine. she'll be back". she wasn't fine. if that was today, we'd be !@#$ed.

My best buddy is gay. He's open to joking about it in any fashion.

I have a gay coworker who, like your bro-in-law, is not cool with it.

maybe it's an age thing? i also have an aunt that's gay, and she has been with the same partner since 83. they both have a fantastic sense of humor about it considering they didn't even feel comfortable coming out until they were 60. my brother in law on the other hand is in his early 20s.

May have missed if this link was posted earlier, but Rochester D&C recently did an article on the subject:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/local/columnists/andreatta/2017/09/22/andreatta-when-boys-swam-nude-gym-class/694542001/

I went to Charlotte High, featured in the story, in Rochester (pronounced "Sha-Lot") in the 70s and we did indeed swim in the raw. Never gave it another thought until I saw the article. The swim coach pictured, George Graham, was also my football coach.

that's my mom's stomping gound. she grew up on corgan st (sp) and worked at the char pit.

I am trying to connect the dots on my "BIL'is gay. Married to your brother or sister? Or some kind of thing I am not thinking about.

Funny you say never took a a shower is school. I remember going the Y in the Falls for family nights on Friday nights as young as age 8 and showering, even with a bunch of old fellas in the showers. Steam room and sauna was all naked as well, never thought about it.

I was also a year-round swimmer, and we would never think of leaving the school pool without showering, the chlorine was just so damn strong.

my wife's brother is gay.

yeah...as i think about it as an adult, it's strange that we literally didn't take one shower in high school. i think it was even to the point where it would have been weird to do so. i'm not sure i even remember the showers being on.

Edison Tech was (is) a public school. It had neither rich folks (ok maybe 1 of 50) nor was it fancy shmancy. The pool however was OK.

i went to mcquaid which is considered expensive, but when i went there in the early 90s, the place was kinda dumpy. no pool, auditorium, etc.

This part was great: "You’d think forced nudity in public schools would generate a newspaper headline or two, something like, “Superintendent faces bare facts about skinny-dipping, sentenced to life in Attica.”

maybe it's an age thing? i also have an aunt that's gay, and she has been with the same partner since 83. they both have a fantastic sense of humor about it considering they didn't even feel comfortable coming out until they were 60. my brother in law on the other hand is in his early 20s.

My buddy is 57. Co-worker is 26. Definitely could be generational.

maybe it's an age thing?

i went to mcquaid which is considered expensive, but when i went there in the early 90s, the place was kinda dumpy. no pool, auditorium, etc.

Not sure Mcquaid was in good shape in the 70s.

I don't think I was in the school building but I did run track and cross country races there.

"It may be inconceivable to anyone under 50, but nude swimming was standard for high school boys in Rochester and in many American cities and states until at least 1970."

Doesn't seem to just be a WNY thing Gugny.

??? I'm confused. It seems like most of those from Buffalo and NF are saying there were no bathing suits in the 60's and early 70's. And isn't Rochester part of WNY?

What am I missing here.

Anyway, even at the time I thought it was a little weird, but it wasn't THAT weird. And I actually think it might help these kids have a healthier "body image", since you see "normal" is a variety of shapes and sizes. (No, I'm not specifically talking about the junk, here. Truth is, I can't even remember anyone looking, commenting, about privates, back then.)

Edited by The Dean

Had to have your own bathing suit in at Burnt Hills back in 73 when I graduated.

Used to swim late at night after drinking down at Collins Park in scotia naked with several friends. Girls and guys.

Now they don't let you swim at all. They used to have a nice beach.

We could see if the Y would let us do a 518 naked lunch swim. Gugny, call and see if you can set it up.