Swimming Naked in Gym

Gugny

West Seneca West. Born 1968. Graduated 1986. Jr. High had pool/swim class, they went co-ed my Grade 7 year. Was first year boys didn't swim nekkid. My brother, born 1964... They did. The one kid that in my Bros class wore a swimsuit because his "mother made him"... They bullied him mercilessly. He looks back on it now like they were the strange ones.

I talked to co-workers here in the MidWest... Story is the same from that post-war generation.

Now... Also... It was always tri-mesters of: Art class, Music, & either Home Economics (for girls) or Industrial Arts (IA) (for boys) starting in Grade 7. For my class born in 1968, that changed too. Everybody took Home Ec & IA. They made the classes "Quarters."

So... Yes... 1968 born class was when the social engineering started and they started trying to make Snowflakes out of everybody. You know... Turn boys into being more girl like. In West Seneca that is.

Unfortunately, being on cusp, it didn't work with me! Yet, I a lover not a fighter... And I do know how to cook & sew. :-)

BTW... Since 2012, you now need 13 "Required Merit Badges" for Eagle Scout. 21 total. They finally made "Cooking" Merit Badge" required in 2012. They should make "Wilderness Survival" & "Rifle & Blackpowder" Merit Badge required. I earned it and my son as an Eagle earned them. It makes everything else moot. If you can survive in woods, you can eat. But, I guess Eagles were coming out with niether... Probably a handful of "American Business", & "Reading" Merit Badges as electives.

Oh... Swimming Merit Badge is required. Swimming, Hiking, or Cycling... Scout takes his pick of one or more.

There... I threw a lot out there how Anerican society is changing.

So you're kinda pissed that you didn't get to swim naked. That's what I extrapolated from this.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended North Junior High School in Niagara Falls from 1976-79. For the first two years we were required to swim naked. The last year that rule was rescinded and we were allowed to wear trunks. I've told this story many times with people always saying, "How could that be true?"

Needless to say, I never swam underwater without my eyes being wide open.

Also, the bathroom stalls had no doors (supposedly to prevent smoking in the boys room).

I also went to North Junior, but I'm a bit older than you. We were required to swim naked. I think Mr. Getz and coach Mazza got off on it.

BTW, while I wasn't a big fan of running around with a bunch of naked boys, I don't think I'd like having to pick some random school-supplied swimsuit out of a pile, either.

Going to North Jr had its perks, though. After school, we'd often pop into the Ontario House for a few quick beers---in 8th grade! The owner was very old, and I don't think she could see well or had any idea how old anyone was.

Edited by The Dean

Nope bathing suit always required. It sounds weird to swim nude. Was the teacher taking pictures or something?

Really? It wasn't 2017.

Yeah... With his 110 Instamatic... Flash cubes a son of a... Getting the film developed would have been another hurdle.

But, really... Probably no pictures... Unless Dude had huge SLR and pressed the IA teacher to use the shop's darkroom. Which means IA would have been in on scheme. Imagine seeing those negatives hanging coming into 1st Period Shop Class!

Not saying it couldn't have happened, but probably didn't.

I also went to North Junior, but I'm a bit older than you. We were required to swim naked. I think Mr. Getz and coach Mazza got off on it.

BTW, while I wasn't a big fan of running around with a bunch of naked boys, I don't think I'd like having to pick some random school-supplied swimsuit out of a pile, either.

When I was in school, wearing school-supplied suits was mandatory. But they always seemed to be fresh out of the dryer when we picked them. You could still smell the dryer heat and they were very warm. Kids now bring their own suits. But the school ones are available, if necessary.

Really? It wasn't 2017.

Yeah... With his 110 Instamatic... Flash cubes a son of a... Getting the film developed would have been another hurdle.

But, really... Probably no pictures... Unless Dude had huge SLR and pressed the IA teacher to use the shop's darkroom. Which means IA would have been in on scheme. Imagine seeing those negatives hanging coming into 1st Period Shop Class!

I don't care if it was 1938. I think it's !@#$ing weird.

And see! The Dean is more a man than any of you younger Snowflakes will ever be!

Yep! What you said above is the gross part. Girls always had their "monthly visitor" to fall back on and bogue out on class. Girls could skip swim at will.

Now... Boys, for us we had brought own suits... Girls had school issued ones. By the end of swim session (swim was once a weekbf for semester), I just left my nasty suit in locker. I purposefully forgot locker combo. Bathing suits, laundry had to be a logistical issue?

;-)

When I was in school, wearing school-supplied suits was mandatory. But they always seemed to be fresh out of the dryer when we picked them. You could still smell the dryer heat and they were very warm. Kids now bring their own suits. But the school ones are available, if necessary.

You used to sniff the bathing suits? Ewwwww.

I don't care if it was 1938. I think it's !@#$ing weird.

I agree... It is weird!!!!

My brother had me ready to commit hare kare before entering Grade 7... I was a basket case. Then bam, West Seneca Central Schools changed policy the very year I started 7th... Boom... I was the start of the Snowflake generation. Home Ec sucked balls. But my three quarter sleeve, two color machine sewn baseball shirt kicked all the other boys in my class asses!

Looked like this:

40801_fl.jpg

Early 1980s rocked!

Oh... Speaking of my 53 year old brother and his friends... You'd think they were still back in Grade 7 now... What a bunch of crazy nuts (no pun intended) they still are!

Remember drinking age was also 18 back then. They changed that too right before I turned 18. Bastages! But we had Ontario, go up there & drink @ 19.

My age was right on cusp with a lot of social changing of the rules.

I went to Casey Middle in Williamsville in the early 70's. Grades 6-8 and started there the year it opened. The guys were naked and the girls got a school issued one piece. My wife didn't believe me. She asked my mother "are you F%&*#@! Kidding me? You let this happen?" My mom shrugged.... ;)

See... Reading through... You can tell who the real men are! ;-)

I graduated HS in '06, played hockey and lacrosse. Showering in the locker room after hockey was the norm. When me and the handful of other guys who played both sports did it at lacrosse the rest of the team looked at us like we were nuts the first few times. Eventually a few of the non-hockey guys started doing it, but it never caught on with the majority of the team.

Kids don't shower anymore in school. My son (born 1998) looked at me all weird. They come home stinking and shower at home. If I did that growing up, my mother would have kicked my azz! The extra dirty clothes, mess, etc...

Yet... My son prcaticed & played lax on AstroTurf (the new PlayTurf stuff)... If it was real turf, no way he is jumping into my car all phucked up dirty... Hit the showers Dude!

This blows my mind. What is the reason for swimming naked? Why not play kickball naked. Why aren't the girls naked. So many questions.

Logistics primarily. I have already touched on the social aspects, self esteem, bullying, making assertive young men that are confident.

You military guys have probably seen it change through the years too. My father was in Korea, just imagine the way they did things back then.

Raising... Strong confident men. Sure the weak fell through the system and got kicked out of the Rectory door. The predators had to be very real and very scary for the weaker, abused children. Things had to change when the abuse was being reported.

My brother, 53 doesn't care where the heck he gets nekkid! I drive in from Illinois and he's out watering the garden (@ my Father's house) practically nekkid... All 300 pounds of him... Not a care in the world!

I am like to my children: "Kids! We are @ Dzia Dzia's (Polish for grandpa) house... Look AWAY! Your Uncle is watering the garden!" Then I gotta go into my theory why he has so little body shame. My children look @ old days in horror. This usually keeps them towing the line for about a full 5 minutes. ;-)

So far it seems like a western NY thing.

Is that where Catholic priest boot camp is, or something?

No... I talked to the post war generation here in MidWest. They swam nekkid here too.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Logistics primarily. I have already touched on the social aspects, self esteem, bullying, making assertive young men that are confident.

You military guys have probably seen it change through the years too. My father was in Korea, just imagine the way they did things back then.

Raising... Strong confident men. Sure the weak fell through the system and got kicked out of the Rectory door. The predators had to be very real and very scary for the weaker, abused children. Things had to change when the abuse was being reported.

My brother, 53 doesn't care where the heck he gets nekkid! I drive in from Illinois and he's out watering the garden (@ my Father's house) practically nekkid... All 300 pounds of him... Not a care in the world!

I am like to my children: "Kids! We are @ Dzia Dzia's (Polish for grandpa) house... Look AWAY! Your Uncle is watering the garden!" Then I gotta go into my theory why he has so little body shame. My children look @ old days in horror. This usually keeps them towing the line for about a full 5 minutes. ;-)

My HS math teacher used to blow dry his donger all stretched out in the locker room after his workout. Call me a snowflake for thinking little boys shouldn't swim naked together in front of adult teachers...that Schitt is just wrong. Sometimes a little body shame is a good thing, IMO.

Why do you bring it up each year?

MAGA!!!

I usually bring it up too. This phenomenon was so strange and creepy.

I try to look at it from both angles. I was right when changes occured. There is lot of social engineering that was happening back then.

My HS math teacher used to blow dry his donger all stretched out in the locker room after his workout. Call me a snowflake for thinking little boys shouldn't swim naked together in front of adult teachers...that Schitt is just wrong. Sometimes a little body shame is a good thing, IMO.

I agree. I am just twisting things around with the Snowflake angle.

Just reading through now. Was off the board yesterday... Went to The Feast of the Hunter's Moon in West Lafayette yesterday. You think they swam with a bathing suit in 1756:

http://www.homeofpurdue.com/events/events/feastofthehuntersmoon.html

Our Boy Scout Troop has a fundraiser there.

It was EII this year, man. I'm innocent!

I fessed up. You're off the hook.

I am a history/social nut. :-) Stuff like social practices, etc... Fascinate the hell out of me. I am a poltical beast too... It all ties in.

My father was raised with an outhouse, in Cheektowaga when it was still all farms. Didn't have indoor plumbing until the early 1950s when he was almost 20. In country life, you never body shamed. If any of that BS went on... You got whalloped. Everything, everybody wasn't as sexualized back then. You had a job to do and get it done! Heck, men's deodorant didnt take off in the marketplace until the 1940s or so.

Agreed. He seems to enjoy talking about swimming naked with his fellow classmates.

My school, no swimming naked. Elementary school we'd be bussed up to the high school for swimming classes which were coed. In high school I don't remember have any swimming in gym classs. Some of the sports teams would use the pool as part of their workouts, we did when I was doing cross country. Since both girls and guys had the same coach we'd practice together, so no naked swimming.

Maybe... But I do seem to twist it more with all the MAGA BS, "Snowflake" this and that...Etc... I tie it all in. Most things aren't a one-way street in society.

Gug... Didn't have to go there with a thread. I try and not turn things political. But, there are so many directions a simple discussion like this can take. Like:

Are we making strong men nowadays?

So you're kinda pissed that you didn't get to swim naked. That's what I extrapolated from this.

No not at all. Actually I thank the lucky stars!

Really? It wasn't 2017.

Developing film is easy to do at home with the right equipment. Same with printing black and white. Printing color photos was tricky because your chemicals needed to stay in a certain temperature range.

Developing film is easy to do at home with the right equipment. Same with printing black and white. Printing color photos was tricky because your chemicals needed to stay in a certain temperature range.

I took 7th Grade IA... That was photography & printing... Offset, typesetting... Etc... Yeah, B&W is pretty easy...

Anyway... Don't care what you guys say, right about now I am ready to jump in Lake nude. ;-)

I took 7th Grade IA... That was photography & printing... Offset, typesetting... Etc... Yeah, B&W is pretty easy...

Anyway... Don't care what you guys say, right about now I am ready to jump in Lake nude. ;-)

I'll await your link for proof.

LoL! Pics or it didn't happen.

I said I was "ready to" (alluding to the Bills win). ;-)

With all these phones now... I think I'd have more "stage fright" than I had before entering Jr. High! ;-)

Oh well....I tried.

Probably wise.. no need in you being banned.

. I think Mr. Getz and coach Mazza got off on it.

was this Vince Mazza or his brother? Vince was at LaSalle when I was there, and man the stuff he got away with is just crazy. One hell of a racist for sure.

And when you pissed him off and he "mazza Bounced" you into he wall, man that freaking hurt! He would be in jail for that stuff now.

Union East Elementary 68 Cheektowaga Central Jr High 69-71 CCHS 71-75. Naked all these years. Girls had one-piece suits. Had to have your head on a swivel when they had those red dodge balls in the pool are. Someone would always aim at fhe nuts of days walking around not paying attention. We could always see the girls trying to peek through the crack into the pool area. If a guy was an a-hole they would sometimes shove them through the doors so they would get stuck on the girls locker room side.

CCHS 74-77...yep naked swimming, I always thought that was so frickin' weird.