Tre'Davious White

Mark Vader

White is a really experienced rookie (if that makes sense). He started a zillion games in the SEC and was more of s known commodity coming out. He was a "safe" pick and I mean that in a good way. He had a very high floor. We are seeing him play GREAT football. Tre has been doing that for a while.

Yep. All this. I mentioned last week when he had a rough first half that the maturity and experience he has was critical in him being able to turn it around after HT. Immature kid who started 1 year in college I doubt you see that response in all honesty. Think we should be ready to see the Bills pick a lot of seniors and 3 or 4 year college starters from here on in. It fits the McBeane model.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White is a really experienced rookie (if that makes sense). He started a zillion games in the SEC and was more of s known commodity coming out. He was a "safe" pick and I mean that in a good way. He had a very high floor. We are seeing him play GREAT football. Tre has been doing that for a while.

Scouts and GMs really overthink the draft.

Marshon Lattimore was high on the Bills draft board and could have been the Bills pick if they stayed at 10. He's been really good to start the season too. Less experienced and more injury prone but possibly higher ceiling? but white + a 1st rd pick is amazing.

Marshon Lattimore was high on the Bills draft board and could have been the Bills pick if they stayed at 10. He's been really good to start the season too. Less experienced and more injury prone but possibly higher ceiling? but white + a 1st rd pick is amazing.

Yea that was basically my view pre-draft as well. I had Lattimore as my #1 corner (my #2 player in the whole draft), then Marlon Humphrey as my #2A and White as my #2B their grades were right there together. All three have had good starts actually. I thought Lattimore was outstanding at Wembley yesterday.

EDIT: Just looking at PFF they have Lattimore currently ranked 7th among all corners, with White right behind him at 8th. Humphrey who didn't play much weeks 1 and 2 (partly a niggling injury partly them bringing him on slowly) doesn't quite have the snaps to be ranked thus far but his grade on the snaps he has played would have him 29th and well into the "green".

Edited by GunnerBill

forgot about that guy. How's he doing?

He seems to be doing well. Looks like he is in shape enough to be play still (he laughed about it and said he'd need a few weeks) Living in Baltimore and all of his kids in private school. He thinks one of them has shot for NFL. Second year in a row he came to tailgate and he said he is definitely coming next year.

QB? I remember a CB by that name.

yea a typo.

Poised

Savvy

Short term memory

4 year starter

Ball skills

Closing burst

Willing to tackle

Mature

Scheme fit

Were all things I had written down about Tre before the draft...

Remember guys... we took Sammy 4th in the best WR class ever... and it didn't work...

We just had the best DB class ever... and instead of panicking and taking lattimore who wasn't a scheme fit... we got an extra first and a corner who just may be the best overall corner in the class

How the winds blow...

We just had the best DB class ever... and instead of panicking and taking lattimore who wasn't a scheme fit... we got an extra first and a corner who just may be the best overall corner in the class

How the winds blow...

I think Lattimore can play any scheme to be honest and that was part of the reason he was the #1 corner on my board. Humphrey and White - my joint #2s were much more specific zone fits. I do think it was a brilliant draft for DBs though. I had 20 odd in my top 100. As soon as we made the trade back I was in the shout box saying "Tre White must be the pick"

I think Lattimore can play any scheme to be honest and that was part of the reason he was the #1 corner on my board. Humphrey and White - my joint #2s were much more specific zone fits. I do think it was a brilliant draft for DBs though. I had 20 odd in my top 100. As soon as we made the trade back I was in the shout box saying "Tre White must be the pick"

I saw lattimore live a good amount of times and he Can get lost in zone sometimes

He was phenomenal in press man, and has a very high ceiling but can get lax in zone coverage

He had some lapses that Tre didn't have in 4 years... without covering top end wideouts

Both will be very good but lattimore was more hype and potential. He was a 1 year starter who runs a 4.3 and is 6,1

I was a big fan of lattimore but there is zero chance he is as polished as Tre. A 4 years starter from the SEC who faced much stiffer WR competition

Lattimore when he is at his best is a press man corner

Both can be top corners

Edited by Buffalo716

DLPOfboWkAEkXss.jpg

2. Tre’Davious White, CB, Buffalo Bills

PFF Grade: 88.7

Elite Stat: Opposing QBs have a 53.7 passer rating when targeting White in coverage this season, the 14th- lowest among cornerbacks.

During this year’s draft, the Bills traded the 10th overall pick to move back in the first round, ultimately selecting White with the 27th overall pick while landing an additional first rounder from Kansas City for next season. One month into the season and that move could not be working out better for the Bills. White is our fifth-ranked cornerback in terms of overall grade and his 26.9 playmaker index percentage (percentage of targets he either got a pass breakup or interception on) is the second highest among all cornerbacks who’ve been targeted at least 15 times this season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-race-for-rookie-of-the-year-week-4

Not sure if this has been mentioned up thread but I noticed that he was wearing black gloves on Sunday. Certainly helped on the last play. He had some jersey but it was impossible to see it clearly on TV because his hand blended in with the receivers' jersey. No accident I'm sure.

I saw lattimore live a good amount of times and he Can get lost in zone sometimes

He was phenomenal in press man, and has a very high ceiling but can get lax in zone coverage

He had some lapses that Tre didn't have in 4 years... without covering top end wideouts

Both will be very good but lattimore was more hype and potential. He was a 1 year starter who runs a 4.3 and is 6,1

I was a big fan of lattimore but there is zero chance he is as polished as Tre. A 4 years starter from the SEC who faced much stiffer WR competition

Lattimore when he is at his best is a press man corner

Both can be top corners

I agree Tre was more polished. I disagree on Lattimore in zone. I have watched enough of his film to think he can excel in anything - though I agree that he is probably more naturally a man corner. Lattimore was the 2nd highest player on my entire board for this draft.

I agree Tre was more polished. I disagree on Lattimore in zone. I have watched enough of his film to think he can excel in anything - though I agree that he is probably more naturally a man corner. Lattimore was the 2nd highest player on my entire board for this draft.

Coaches are hard to take seriously sometimes at the podium during press conferences. But people should listen to Leslie Frazier's from Monday.

I'm not sure how much stock to put in what he said, but he basically shot the zone versus man theory to schitt. He said it doesn't matter and that all NFL players in most all systems are asked to play both, and the skill set is the same, and it's tough to play corner in this league, but corners are corners and good ones are good in both.

That doesn't seem to be the case, but this is a guy who seems to know how to coach defense and was a CB in the NFL himself.

Coaches are hard to take seriously sometimes at the podium during press conferences. But people should listen to Leslie Frazier's from Monday.

I'm not sure how much stock to put in what he said, but he basically shot the zone versus man theory to schitt. He said it doesn't matter and that all NFL players in most all systems are asked to play both, and the skill set is the same, and it's tough to play corner in this league, but corners are corners and good ones are good in both.

That doesn't seem to be the case, but this is a guy who seems to know how to coach defense and was a CB in the NFL himself.

I did hear it and to an extent I agree. Everyone went on about Josh Norman getting all that money when he never played in man. He did. Most teams run bits of both. It was just Carolina was primarily a zone team.

Not sure if this has been mentioned up thread but I noticed that he was wearing black gloves on Sunday. Certainly helped on the last play. He had some jersey but it was impossible to see it clearly on TV because his hand blended in with the receivers' jersey. No accident I'm sure.

It was an uncatchable ball

And within 5 yards if I remember correctly.

You can maintain continuous and unbroken contact within 5 yards

For sure he can excel in anything.

And with Tre.

Like the guy above me said, good corners are good corners. Sure , they have a strength that they may play too...

But all corners are asked to play man and zone and play in different styles.

Norman may be a "zone corner" but he is very good in man.

Same with lattimore. A pure "man" corner but would be very good anywhere. Corners have "it" or they don't

But some styles are definitely better in some schemes than others. It's why certain teams draft certain players and why some players choose to go to a college or to a NFL team through FA. They think they will maximize their strengths as players in their scheme

Josh Norman wouldn't be Josh Norman if he wasn't allowed to develop in that Carolina scheme. They gave him the confidence to be a true #1 corner. If he was drafted by a team that didn't utilize his elite skills in a cover 3 and forced him to be an off man corner 75% of the time he doesn't develop as well

Edited by Buffalo716

damn fine eye for details my friend !

It was an uncatchable ball

And within 5 yards if I remember correctly.

You can maintain continuous and unbroken contact within 5 yards

For sure he can excel in anything.

And with Tre.

Like the guy above me said, good corners are good corners. Sure , they have a strength that they may play too...

But all corners are asked to play man and zone and play in different styles.

Norman may be a "zone corner" but he is very good in man.

Same with lattimore. A pure "man" corner but would be very good anywhere. Corners have "it" or they don't

But some styles are definitely better in some schemes than others. It's why certain teams draft certain players and why some players choose to go to a college or to a NFL team through FA. They think they will maximize their strengths as players in their scheme

Josh Norman wouldn't be Josh Norman if he wasn't allowed to develop in that Carolina scheme. They gave him the confidence to be a true #1 corner. If he was drafted by a team that didn't utilize his elite skills in a cover 3 and forced him to be an off man corner 75% of the time he doesn't develop as well

Interesting take. Something for me to stew on.

Frazier has his point, even if Coach speak.

I recall being high on Darby at one point.

But White has a different feel in the way he plays.

likely Coaching allows him do well so early on.

Excellent pick in the draft . I am looking in retrospect. I have no idea what happens in college except what i read here. Based upon his play, when and how he was picked and how he is developing? Love the Kid so far.

Go Tre !

Interesting take. Something for me to stew on.

Frazier has his point, even if Coach speak.

I recall being high on Darby at one point.

But White has a different feel in the way he plays.

likely Coaching allows him do well so early on.

Excellent pick in the draft . I am looking in retrospect. I have no idea what happens in college except what i read here. Based upon his play, when and how he was picked and how he is developing? Love the Kid so far.

Go Tre !

I'm a big fan or Frazier and McDermott. And also wauffle(maybe misspelled)

But the first 2 were DBs and they know DBs. How to treat them , coach them and develop them. As someone who played DB for 17 years competitively they are my favorite group by far because we think the same . I was always high on McDermott because his defensive philosophy is very easy on DBs and they have the hardest job in the modern NFL. It's very DB friendly and we may have a couple of "stars" in the making in the defensive backfield

I'm a big fan or Frazier and McDermott. And also wauffle(maybe misspelled)

But the first 2 were DBs and they know DBs. How to treat them , coach them and develop them. As someone who played DB for 17 years competitively they are my favorite group by far because we think the same . I was always high on McDermott because his defensive philosophy is very easy on DBs and they have the hardest job in the modern NFL. It's very DB friendly and we may have a couple of "stars" in the making in the defensive backfield

Good to read your notes, from someone who knows much more than me about those details. I think the quality of depth is at least as important as who the Bills are starting. You just know you will have to rotate guys in over the season. Offenses often look and try to take advantage of the weakest links.

Pretty cool how T White recovered. But when EJ Gaines goes down Sharece comes in. Is that enough for a couple games?

Leonard Johnson?

one of my areas of worry is secondary depth, We know they will develop it over time. But it will be my concern till they do

Good to read your notes, from someone who knows much more than me about those details. I think the quality of depth is at least as important as who the Bills are starting. You just know you will have to rotate guys in over the season. Offenses often look and try to take advantage of the weakest links.

Pretty cool how T White recovered. But when EJ Gaines goes down Sharece comes in. Is that enough for a couple games?

Leonard Johnson?

one of my areas of worry is secondary depth, We know they will develop it over time. But it will be my concern till they do

Those are all valid points.

Before the season If you told me that sharece wright would be playing a good amount of snaps on the outside , I might have been a bit worried... but after watching the secondary in live games, I've definitely come away impressed with wrights play.

Gaines plays very physically and seems to go down fairly often... and wright definitely has not been a liability.

Leanord Johnson has been pretty surprising as well. This just shows you what a great scheme can do for an inexperienced secondary

Those are all valid points.

Before the season If you told me that sharece wright would be playing a good amount of snaps on the outside , I might have been a bit worried... but after watching the secondary in live games, I've definitely come away impressed with wrights play.

Gaines plays very physically and seems to go down fairly often... and wright definitely has not been a liability.

Leanord Johnson has been pretty surprising as well. This just shows you what a great scheme can do for an inexperienced secondary

I do not feel the same as you on Leonard. but I have not given up on him either.

The system does seem to be effective.

But White has really been a joy to watch for me.

CBs drive me nuts in Buffalo. I never get comfortable.

Maybe it is the Leodis traumatizing early years.

Oh shoot They are throwing at leodis again. cover my eyes, perfect coverage and the ball ends up in the receiver's hands . again

I do not feel the same as you on Leonard. but I have not given up on him either.

The system does seem to be effective.

But White has really been a joy to watch for me.

CBs drive me nuts in Buffalo. I never get comfortable.

Maybe it is the Leodis traumatizing early years.

Oh shoot They are throwing at leodis again. cover my eyes, perfect coverage and the ball ends up in the receiver's hands . again

With Johnson Maybe surprising is the wrong word. He definitely hasn't been impressive. Just not a super liability and I didn't have high expectations so maybe thats why I'm not super harsh. The first time he gets torched and gives up a TD I'm sure I won't be as pleasant. If he has to play a majority of snaps on the outside we are probably in trouble

Tre is a star

Edited by Buffalo716

With Johnson Maybe surprising is the wrong word. He definitely hasn't been impressive. Just not a super liability and I didn't have high expectations so maybe thats why I'm not super harsh. The first time he gets torched and gives up a TD I'm sure I won't be as pleasant. If he has to play a majority of snaps on the outside we are probably in trouble

Tre is a star

The secondary is much much better than i expected !

Leonard Johnson?

Leonard Johnson was covering Jones who was being very physical and it was how Jones got his hip injury. I was surprised to see Johnson on Jones until I saw how physical he was being which appears to have been part of plan to limit Jones who is known for pushing smaller CBs around. Johnson is stockiest of the CBs.

Tre White makes PFF Team of the week: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-2017-week-4-team-of-the-week

1704-TOTW-DEFENSE-768x432.jpg

Cornerback – Tre’Davious White, Buffalo Bills

PFF Grade: 89.2

Elite Stat: Tre’Davious White allowed just 18 yards from 44 snaps in coverage.

The Bills rookie corner had another outstanding outing in a debut season that is beginning to look pretty spectacular. Aided by Atlanta’s top two receivers – Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu – leaving the game injured, White allowed just four catches for 18 yards in the game. Even before Jones and Sanu left the game, he had held that pair to two catches for 8 yards on four targets.

1. Tre White has been sensational, no other way to put it. Best corner play I have seen in years here in Buffalo, and I would argue he's been one of the best corners in football the first quarter of the season. Lot of football left still, but so far he has been great.

2. Lattimore also has been impressive, but I would give the nod to Tre on who has been the more impressive rookie. Thats no knock on Lattimore, its just that Tre has been that good IMO.

3. Our secondary as a whole has been great, and all 4 starters are new to the team this year. Given Hyde, Poyer, and Gaines are arguably having the best starts to any season in their career with McD and Frazier, it does make me wonder what this staff could have done with Darby. A kid who showed a ton of promise despite having an awful defensive scheme and coaching around him. Darby in a position to reach his potential along side Tre with Gaines in the Nickel to help reduce wear on him given he seems to get hurt a lot would be a very interesting scenario.

1. Tre White has been sensational, no other way to put it. Best corner play I have seen in years here in Buffalo, and I would argue he's been one of the best corners in football the first quarter of the season. Lot of football left still, but so far he has been great.

2. Lattimore also has been impressive, but I would give the nod to Tre on who has been the more impressive rookie. Thats no knock on Lattimore, its just that Tre has been that good IMO.

3. Our secondary as a whole has been great, and all 4 starters are new to the team this year. Given Hyde, Poyer, and Gaines are arguably having the best starts to any season in their career with McD and Frazier, it does make me wonder what this staff could have done with Darby. A kid who showed a ton of promise despite having an awful defensive scheme and coaching around him. Darby in a position to reach his potential along side Tre with Gaines in the Nickel to help reduce wear on him given he seems to get hurt a lot would be a very interesting scenario.

Darby never seemed to be in the regimes plans.

He is a pure man corner who can get lost in zone so I don't believe he was ever in McDermotts plans

incredibly titled thread first of all, way to preview what you were about to say...genius.

that being said he defended about 5 passes and was totally solid, havent seen this since thomas smith, maybe even nate odomes

I didn't want people to have to think to hard by titling a cryptic sounding thread.

Ike Taylor giving props to White and Gaines:

@AroundTheNFL

I'm not gonna to lie ... I wasn't high on White heading into the draft. I felt like he had the athletic ability and ball skills, but didn't think he tackled well enough. But four weeks into 2017, the Bills rookie is proving me wrong. He looks spectacular early and is proving to be one of the best young cornerbacks in the league. He earned NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month honors for September after recording 16 tackles, seven pass deflections and one interception through the first three games. White allowed four receptions for 18 yards against the Falcons last week -- aided by Julio Jones and Mohamed Sanu leaving the game with injuries -- while also recovering a fumble and returning it for his first touchdown in the NFL. It's also notable that White hasn't allowed a touchdown in coverage this season, having played the last two league MVPs -- Cam Newton in Week 2 and Matt Ryan in Week 4. If White keeps this up, don't be surprised if he claims the Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Playing comfortably in off coverage, White plays a lot like Marcus Peters. The LSU product is great at seeing route combinations develop, having the instincts to jump a route and covering receivers. He'll need to continue is high-caliber play this week when the Bills head to Cincinnati. The Bengals' offense has improved immensely after the firing of former OC Ken Zampese -- going from a 4.5-point average in their first two games to 27.5 points in their last two. A.J. Green has recorded a touchdown in each of the Bengals' last two contests and will be the toughest receiver White has faced to date. Green doesn't necessarily look like a physical receiver, but he's as strong as an ox. It'll be important for White to play close in order to contend jump balls and tackle after the catch.

WEEK 4 CORNERBACK DUOS: MY TOP THREE

#3 Duo

Players: Tre'Davious White and E.J. Gaines.

The Bills boast the No. 1 scoring defense in the league through Week 4, giving up one touchdown while picking off six passes and allowing a 64.1 passer rating against. With the lone touchdown allowed by safety Micah Hyde in Atlanta, cornerbacks White and Gaines have impressed week in and week out. Both are first-year Bills, as White was the team's first-round draft pick back in April while Gaines arrived in the preseason via a trade with the Los Angeles Rams. Gaines was instrumental in the Bills' upset win over the Falcons, recording his first interception of the season along with three passes defensed. Next, this duo faces a Bengals team that ranks No. 18 in passing offense but one that has improved over the last few weeks. White and Gaines will have their hands full.

Next up: at Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m. ET on Sunday.

He is a pure man corner who can get lost in zone so I don't believe he was ever in McDermotts plans

Yeah I agree with this, but with McD and Frazier getting the best out of Hyde, Poyer, and Gaines just makes me wonder if 23 year old Darby could have excelled and been even better than he was his rookie year here.

None the less, we still got fair value for Darby, but still can't help but wonder. The extra third is nice next year, even though its likely a low 3rd, and Jordan is a needed commodity but unfortunately keeps getting hurt which was a concern I had about him coming in. Always seemed to have ticky tack injuries to deal with even though he didn't always miss time.

Leonard Johnson was covering Jones who was being very physical and it was how Jones got his hip injury. I was surprised to see Johnson on Jones until I saw how physical he was being which appears to have been part of plan to limit Jones who is known for pushing smaller CBs around. Johnson is stockiest of the CBs.

Nice insight Limeaid. Never considered that aspect

I blame every players back sliding on Rex. I mean that very seriously. If he does not fit McD' big picture that is one thing. A reason Jim S picked him i up i would imagine.

That move surprised me quite a bit