Stephen Curry...Big thumbs up!

Lurker

It's called "empathy." You and a bunch of others here should try it sometime.

no, it's called ignorance. Creating a fake boogey man to blame your own personal short comings is not noble... and neither is supporting a person who believes in this fake boogey man. Is there racism in America, yes... but does it affect anything near what the protests imply? absolutely not.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin Kaepernick didn't say that this week, that was his original position, moron. He wasn't included in the anecdotal number. I didn't see him speak if he did indeed speak. My post was only in reference to you saying all these people were aggrieved and I found that ironic that the guy behind it didn't feel aggrieved.

That said...

While I still stand by my belief that "millions" of black people in America feel this way, and it's almost for sure a low estimate IMO, I shouldn't have used the couple hundred who kneeled as being anecdotal, because some of them, a lot of them, weren't automatically believing there is racial injustice. If I had to guess, I would say 100% do believe there is, but their sole act of kneeling doesn't specifically mean they do. A lot were just protesting the Orange Clown's stupid comment.

So even though I'd bet all of them believe it's true, I should not have included all of them in the hypothetical. Although it's one of those you don't know for sure things, but you know for sure. ;)

It's still an extremely flawed method. For example, people always think that crime is going up when the truth is it's going down for decades. By utilizing your method one would conclude that crime is through the roof. The conclusion would be patently false, but the belief of millions of people would suggest otherwise.

It's still an extremely flawed method. For example, people always think that crime is going up when the truth is it's going down for decades. By utilizing your method one would conclude that crime is through the roof. The conclusion would be patently false, but the belief of millions of people would suggest otherwise.

But Kelly knows a couple black guys, so he knows what's REALLY going on, and how all black people feel. Because they're black!

And we all know that means they're exactly the same!

Edited by jmc12290

It's not a scientific nor one size fits all method.

Let me ask you this. Do you think out of 45 million blacks that "millions" of the 45, meaning two or more, have had an experience - or know someone - or have heard of someone - that has had a bad experience with law enforcement that they think, rightfully or not, was racial in some way? Because that is what I implied.

Let me ask you this. Do you think out of 45 million blacks that "millions" of the 45, meaning two or more, have had an experience - or know someone - or have heard of someone - that has had a bad experience with law enforcement that they think, rightfully or not, was racial in some way? Because that is what I implied.

it's part of our (notice I didn't say their, because it's a all our culture) culturee them feel that way

They could get a cold and think it's racist. How they feel about someone's motives is not a measure of if something is racist. Race baters will say that having to follow the simplest rule is racist. A change in culture is definitely needed. Stop playing the damn race card, and just use personal pride and self respect to better your situation. Ben Carson is a perfect example of this.

They could get a cold and think it's racist. How they feel about someone's motives is not a measure of if something is racist. Race baters will say that having to follow the simplest rule is racist. A change in culture is definitely needed. Stop playing the damn race card, and just use personal pride and self respect to better your situation. Ben Carson is a perfect example of this.

The guy who compared slavery to coming to the land of dreams and opportunity? Got it.

http://www.whoisthemonkey.com/videos/26chappelle-s-show-i-know-black-people

I already explained the flaw in this. Let me share some anecdotes to ILLUSTRATE the point:

When I was in 4th grade my friend was holding the door for a black girl. He slipped and the door almost bumped the girl. Her mother got out of the car and excoriated my friend for being racist. She probably told all her friends about how the white kids treated her black daughter.

When I used to work at a pizza place we didn't go to certain neighborhoods because they were high crime areas that weren't safe. Black guys didn't want to go there either. The ownership would send drivers anywhere if they thought they could make more money. But several people accused us of denying them service because they were black. I'm sure they told their friends about the racist pizza place.

When I was in college a black kid got a C on a test and filed a complaint that his grade was due to racism. The school had another teacher review the test without the benefit of knowing the race of the student and graded it a D. I'm sure that student told his friends and family about the racism he suffered.

When I worked in the fraud department of a bank the spending patterns would trigger fraud holds. No human made a judgment call. Yet I had multiple people claim that we cut their card off because of race. I'm sure the told their friends about the bank's racist practices.

I've had untold people tell me their car was searched because they were black. I know countless white people whose cars were searched under the same circumstances in the same jurisdictions. I'm sure they told their friends and family about the racist treatment they received by the police.

I knew a black kid who shoved his teacher, punched another student, and grabbed a teacher's arm to prevent her from calling the principle, in addition to many other minor offenses. The school police officer wanted to put him through a diversion program. When his parents declined they charged him. His father was convinced that his son was being singled out because he was black. 40% of the school was black and not being singled out. Any kid would receive the same treatment for that behavior. But the father has no doubt whatsoever that his son was singled out due to racism. I'm sure he told anyone who would listen about the racist teachers and cops.

The list goes on and on. I'm barely scratching the surface, and I've illustrated multiple examples of how people have experienced racism or know someone who did where no racism occurred. The psychological phenomenon I'm discussing is widely accepted in the field. If you're looking for racism you will see it everywhere. Pointing to anecdotal evidence from people who have been trained to see racism anywhere and who often see it where it does not exist is a poor method for drawing a hard conclusion.

Also, this isn't just about media planting these seeds, although the media does play a very significant role in this. It also comes from a world view being passed down within the family and community from a time when these things were far more prevalent than they are today.

I could see if you saw that as a cause for skepticism or as a reason to do further research, but it's a pretty flimsy basis for a belief.

I already explained the flaw in this. Let me share some anecdotes to ILLUSTRATE the point:

When I was in 4th grade my friend was holding the door for a black girl. He slipped and the door almost bumped the girl. Her mother got out of the car and excoriated my friend for being racist. She probably told all her friends about how the white kids treated her black daughter.

When I used to work at a pizza place we didn't go to certain neighborhoods because they were high crime areas that weren't safe. Black guys didn't want to go there either. The ownership would send drivers anywhere if they thought they could make more money. But several people accused us of denying them service because they were black. I'm sure they told their friends about the racist pizza place.

When I was in college a black kid got a C on a test and filed a complaint that his grade was due to racism. The school had another teacher review the test without the benefit of knowing the race of the student and graded it a D. I'm sure that student told his friends and family about the racism he suffered.

When I worked in the fraud department of a bank the spending patterns would trigger fraud holds. No human made a judgment call. Yet I had multiple people claim that we cut their card off because of race. I'm sure the told their friends about the bank's racist practices.

I've had untold people tell me their car was searched because they were black. I know countless white people whose cars were searched under the same circumstances in the same jurisdictions. I'm sure they told their friends and family about the racist treatment they received by the police.

I knew a black kid who shoved his teacher, punched another student, and grabbed a teacher's arm to prevent her from calling the principle, in addition to many other minor offenses. The school police officer wanted to put him through a diversion program. When his parents declined they charged him. His father was convinced that his son was being singled out because he was black. 40% of the school was black and not being singled out. Any kid would receive the same treatment for that behavior. But the father has no doubt whatsoever that his son was singled out due to racism. I'm sure he told anyone who would listen about the racist teachers and cops.

The list goes on and on. I'm barely scratching the surface, and I've illustrated multiple examples of how people have experienced racism or know someone who did where no racism occurred. The psychological phenomenon I'm discussing is widely accepted in the field. If you're looking for racism you will see it everywhere. Pointing to anecdotal evidence from people who have been trained to see racism anywhere and who often see it where it does not exist is a poor method for drawing a hard conclusion.

Also, this isn't just about media planting these seeds, although the media does play a very significant role in this. It also comes from a world view being passed down within the family and community from a time when these things were far more prevalent than they are today.

I could see if you saw that as a cause for skepticism or as a reason to do further research, but it's a pretty flimsy basis for a belief.

I also believe there are "millions" of black people that have blamed racism for something non racist. Tens of millions. It doesn't in any way lessen or negate the examples that it occurred.

No. It doesnt. It makes people like you dismiss the reality of it because there are a large number of false allegations. That doesnt lessen the number or existence of the true allegations one bit. Just an excuse for you.

I don't dismiss anything. I believe that black people experience racism, just that their perception far exceeds reality. I also believe if someone percieves 100 (true or false) racist events that happened to them rather than 50 true, they will think it's more common and a much bigger problem than it really is.

Do you disagree?

No. It doesnt. It makes people like you dismiss the reality of it because there are a large number of false allegations. That doesnt lessen the number or existence of the true allegations one bit. Just an excuse for you.

It means the method you've chosen to quantify it is wholly unreliable. I'm sure there is some racial injustice visited upon minorities (and non-minorities for that matter), but we shouldn't we be able to quantify it before declaring it a national emergency?

It means the method you've chosen to quantify it is wholly unreliable. I'm sure there is some racial injustice visited upon minorities (and non-minorities for that matter), but we shouldn't we be able to quantify it before declaring it a national emergency?

No. Not in my opinion. It's been a national emergency for 200 years. Greatly lessened by still an enormous issue. As evidenced by this issue.

No. Not in my opinion. It's been a national emergency for 200 years. Greatly lessened by still an enormous issue. As evidenced by this issue.

It's not even close to an issue. That's a main reason why trump won the election. Non-racist white people were tired of being accused of racism/sexism. Maybe we just wanted a president that could actually fix the economy. And the more non-racist people get accused of being racist, the more they will fight back. I will say, this whole Keapernik movement is really helping grow support for the right. Those with common sense in the middle are shifting to the right because of these ill informed millionaires.

Good question. Like most things it won't be a singular moment or milestone. It's certainly not going to happen in my lifetime so I will never know.

How do you know? We've come a long way. We're at a point in time where all people have been given equal rights under the law, and culturally we view racism [towards minorities] as the greatest sin imaginable. How do we know we're not already there?

How do you know? We've come a long way. We're at a point in time where all people have been given equal rights under the law, and culturally we view racism [towards minorities] as the greatest sin imaginable. How do we know we're not already there?

This incident is irrefutable proof. Look at the vitriol from one side or the other. I'm watching a black pundit on TV right now who never once has disagreed with anything Donald Trump has ever said. Not once. He's completely on the side of the players were wrong and they disrespected the flag. Thinks Trump has never said or done a thing that was racist. And he just admitted there is a huge racial problem still in the country.

I'd rather just end this discussion with you here. Say the last word if you would like. Cheers.

This incident is irrefutable proof. Look at the vitriol from one side or the other. I'm watching a black pundit on TV right now who never once has disagreed with anything Donald Trump has ever said. Not once. He's completely on the side of the players were wrong and they disrespected the flag. Thinks Trump has never said or done a thing that was racist. And he just admitted there is a huge racial problem still in the country.

I'd rather just end this discussion with you here. Say the last word if you would like. Cheers.

I'll let you have the last word. It was a good discussion.

Considering that in 2016 there were still school(s) in Mississippi that were segregated until a judge ordered them (once again) to desegregate, I'd say we aren't quite there yet... not IMO anyway.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/17/478389720/after-50-year-legal-struggle-mississippi-school-district-ordered-to-desegregate

This is only one small example of stuff like this that still exists.

Honestly, I'm not sure that racism will ever fully go away though (until the human race is one big mash up of all the races) But right now we are only barely over 50 years from segregation and legal discrimination. It was only in 1964 that the Civil Rights Act was passed to finally outlawed discrimination by race, religion, sex etc and it was pretty weak when it first passed. It wasn't given the true power to enforce these new laws until the years that followed. There were many court cases (supreme and otherwise) in the decades that followed to fight the discrimination that continued to happen. We still to this day see court cases concerning discrimination.

There are still many people who were brought up in environments where it was normal to be prejudice toward minorities. It's going to take more time, but we are generally moving in the right direction.

Considering that in 2016 there were still school(s) in Mississippi that were segregated until a judge ordered them (once again) to desegregate, I'd say we aren't quite there yet... not IMO anyway.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/17/478389720/after-50-year-legal-struggle-mississippi-school-district-ordered-to-desegregate

This is only one small example of stuff like this that still exists.

Honestly, I'm not sure that racism will ever fully go away though (until the human race is one big mash up of all the races) But right now we are only barely over 50 years from segregation and legal discrimination. It was only in 1964 that the Civil Rights Act was passed to finally outlawed discrimination by race, religion, sex etc and it was pretty weak when it first passed. It wasn't given the true power to enforce these new laws until the years that followed. There were many court cases (supreme and otherwise) in the decades that followed to fight the discrimination that continued to happen. We still to this day see court cases concerning discrimination.

There are still many people who were brought up in environments where it was normal to be prejudice toward minorities. It's going to take more time, but we are generally moving in the right direction.

Did you even read that article?

That's not a law. It's not even racial segregation. It's economic flight.

That is an example of people fleeing poor neighborhoods. The mostly white schools aren't keeping anyone out. The parent's don't want to send their kids to schools in the poor neighborhoods. That's like calling me racist because I want to shop at the nice Target store instead of the ghetto Walmart.

What's the solution? Follow Obama's proposal and build section 8 housing in rich communities?

Edited by unbillievable

It's not even close to an issue. That's a main reason why trump won the election. Non-racist white people were tired of being accused of racism/sexism. Maybe we just wanted a president that could actually fix the economy. And the more non-racist people get accused of being racist, the more they will fight back. I will say, this whole Keapernik movement is really helping grow support for the right. Those with common sense in the middle are shifting to the right because of these ill informed millionaires.

That's the brilliance of Trump whether he meant it or not. There were only a few players that knelt before this weekend. By calling their teammates who knelt SOB's he created a situation where many of the teammates of those kneeling (who always stand and honor our country) acted emotionally to Trump's comments and knelt with them during the National Anthem to both show that they support them and protest the president. If you're on the right you now spin that into all those who knelt this previous Sunday hate our country, military, etc. because they didn't stand for the National Anthem.

So the Democrats are now is forced to praise those who didn't stand for our National Anthem further pissing off the white working class and military families. You let the left talk about how awful you as a person and play identity politics. Meanwhile, you're out there campaigning on economic issues and border control. It's part of the strategy that won him the election. I think the way things are going right now that Trump wins in 2020 easily and picks up even more states and the popular vote.

Edited by Doc Brown

Did you even read that article?

That's not a law. It's not even racial segregation. It's economic flight.

That is an example of people fleeing poor neighborhoods. The mostly white schools aren't keeping anyone out. The parent's don't want to send their kids to schools in the poor neighborhoods. That's like calling me racist because I want to shop at the nice Target store instead of the ghetto Walmart.

What's the solution? Follow Obama's proposal and build section 8 housing in rich communities?

Yes. I read the entire article. I get what you are saying, and I somewhat agree. They weren't illegally keeping kids out, but that judge also ruled that they weren't doing enough to desegregate either.

But judge still did have to force them to combine school districts to finally desegregate. He said no more excuses. Before that the school was 99.7% black (or whatever the exact # was).

I know what you're saying though and I do somewhat agree. I get that it wasn't against the law for those kids to go to each other's schools.

Maybe it wasn't the best example... It's not an example of people fleeing poor neighborhoods though, because those people never lived in that neighborhood to begin with. I don't know why you assume the black neighborhood must be poor.

Like the article said, white people live in on one side of the tracks and black people on the other. They've never lived together. The white people didn't want their kids going to school in the black schools because they didn't feel those schools provided the same level of education to their kids.

To me, this is one of the points of the article -

"The delay in segregation has deprived generations of students of the constitutionally-guaranteed right of an integrated education," Judge Debra Brown wrote. "Although no court order can right these wrongs, it is the duty of the District to ensure that not one more student suffers under this burden."

And also that this has been going on for 50 years. The court has been trying to get them to desegregate. In just the 1980's, according to the courts, they built school districts designed to keep the schools segregated and they assigned faculty based on race -

"But Cleveland agreed to allow black students into white schools, and vice versa. However, the federal government later alleged that the district established "dual residency" policies to cheat and send students to schools based on their race instead of their neighborhood. The district also built new schools in locations designed to keep black students in all-black schools, the U.S. said in a motion in the '80s, and assigned faculty based on race."

Also, there was also more to my post than the thing you focused on. My overall point is that racial discrimination is a fight that has been going on for a long time and still continues to this day. That it only ended barely over 50 years ago and even then the laws to enforce it had no teeth. It wasn't until the years that followed that those laws were given the power to be truly enforced. That fight still continues to this day. We aren't that far separated from those days and many were brought up,in environments where it was normal to discriminate.

That's the brilliance of Trump whether he meant it or not. There were only a few players that knelt before this weekend. By calling their teammates who knelt SOB's he created a situation where many of the teammates of those kneeling (who always stand and honor our country) acted emotionally to Trump's comments and knelt with them during the National Anthem to both show that they support them and protest the president. If you're on the right you now spin that into all those who knelt this previous Sunday hate our country, military, etc. because they didn't stand for the National Anthem.

So the Democrats are now is forced to praise those who didn't stand for our National Anthem further pissing off the white working class and military families. You let the left talk about how awful you as a person and play identity politics. Meanwhile, you're out there campaigning on economic issues and border control. It's part of the strategy that won him the election. I think the way things are going right now that Trump wins in 2020 easily and picks up even more states and the popular vote.

vast majority of voters do not like disrespect to the flag or anthem

brilliant political move by Trump