Why dont the Bills Audible?

MAJBobby

Feels like we're absent motion sometimes too, and we always line up our receivers wide.

Yeah thats another thing.

So your QB has a hard time reading a defense. Where is the PreSnap movement on offense to allow the QB to help decide what coverage look he is about to see

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok and we have been there since Gailey. You think it gonna change next year with a rookie QB? You think they are giving him the keys to an offense and say ho ahead make your checks at the line?

Is that a sign on Sycamore street in Buffalo?

There doesn't need to be that many audibles... switching out of an I formation would be one i would stress. You can zone run out a pistol or shotgun, and with a short QB he can see better with deeper drops.

I also felt like the snap count this past game was getting jumped all over as well. Need to mix it up more.

I would forgo the audibles if Dennison would throw away his genius playbook and use the one from last year to call plays from instead.

Or better yet - Pay Anthony Lynn a million dollars to skim through Dennison's playbook and tear out half of whatever he wants.

Then have Tyrod go through it and tear out any pass plays he doesn't want.

Then run with that playbook.

Edited by PolishDave

So your QB has a hard time reading a defense. Where is the PreSnap movement on offense to allow the QB to help decide what coverage look he is about to see

I would use motion on almost every play... it helps with press coverage too.

Occaisionally lining up your receivers tight helps create more space on the sidelines... where our QB is more comfortable throwing the ball

Is that a sign on Sycamore street in Buffalo?

I would forgo the audibles if Dennison would throw away his genius playbook and use the one from last year to call plays from instead.

I don't mind i formation in the running game, if you can pass out of it too. We haven't done a good job of it yet.

Line up 2 WR on the left and TE on the right... force the action to the right with a run, and WR slants to the right. Roll left and have clay cut across. They were in Man coverage most of the day so taht leaves probably the WLB covering clay, and covering TT's legs

Edited by dneveu

I love how Dennison commented that they moved the ball against Carolina after the game. WTF was he watching. Anyway, that is off topic. We don't audible I would imagine because we either have a very very stupid QB, or a overbearing OC. I'd go with the latter. I don't think TT is the answer at QB, but I bet he can read a D and make adjustments.

Coaching in the NFL IMO is underrated. If Luke knew what we were running every play, RICO didn't do his job. Sure, opposing teams will know some plays because you can't just change the whole playbook every week, but RICO did nothing to change things up and keep their defense off balance. It still blows my mind that a coach was allowed to come into an organization that's lead the NFL in rushing for 2 straight seasons and change the scheme. How do you review tape from this team last year, watch Richie pulling/getting out in space opening huge holes and say, hmmm, I think we need to change this to zone blocking!!!

Totally agree. Dennison needs to go.

Occaisionally lining up your receivers tight helps create more space on the sidelines... where our QB is more comfortable throwing the ball

I don't mind i formation in the running game, if you can pass out of it too. We haven't done a good job of it yet.

For years we have fielded such a basic pop warner offense and say GO WIN YOUR 1v1s. Oooo and Dont turn the ball over (neutering every QB to take a calculated chance every now and then). My fear NONE of that will change in 2018

It is not allowed in Buffalo, there was a few years ago were we did NONE of it at all, i mean none for two years in a row. Wish i remember who the OC was/what years that was.

Freakin irritating as hell.

Because we have had bad qbs that we don't trust.

But yeah, if you don't trust a NFL qb to audible, they probably shouldn't be starting for you. This isn't college where they need to look at the sidelines every play.

This

The point of motion is to be able to better read the defense so you can adjust accordingly.

If you have zero intention of adjusting, then motion seems kind of pointless no?

I saw and have been verifiied by other Bills players Luke Kuechly knew exactly what was going in on almost every play. So i started thinking when was the last time we actually audibled alot instead of running just the play right into an already knowing Defense.

I could really only come up with all the way back to the Gailey offense that there was a decent amount of changing the play at the line.

Kinda hard to run any offense when you do exactly what is called and the freaking defense is calling out.

Is the the Conservative Offensive Coaching the Bills have had since Gailey? It cant just be on the QB because it goes on longer than just this QB

Where have you seen this? Was it reported somewhere?

For years we have fielded such a basic pop warner offense and say GO WIN YOUR 1v1s. Oooo and Dont turn the ball over (neutering every QB to take a calculated chance every now and then). My fear NONE of that will change in 2018

There is such a thing as intelligent play design, and the QB trusting what he sees. It's all a game out there too, yelling out gibberish half the time to see what the defense does.

Roman. He took forever to call plays so we were always just getting lined up as the play clock winded down.

Some of the coaching we have had lately, simple fundamental, basic common sense, Rex couldn't get his defense out in time, recall the unguarded Houston Texan that caught a TD. It was almost comical to watch Brady torture our defense, that is when he felt like it at HIS choosing, running the hurry up. Fortunately for us he rarely did because he didnt have to with the Bills.

The point of motion is to be able to better read the defense so you can adjust accordingly.

If you have zero intention of adjusting, then motion seems kind of pointless no?

Or so they can adjust while i bark out gibberish. The patriots are so formation independent that motion doesn't affect the route combinations, so they move people around just to move them. Identify the good match-ups, and if you don't like it, its really easy to change the play.

Edited by dneveu

Well the QB can see what the defense is doing and change what his hot read is or change his progression of he is throwing to at least. I really cant believe the Bills do not have the automatic audible on every play to at least go for run to pass or vice versa, our offense can't be that simplistic.

Well the QB can see what the defense is doing and change what his hot read is or change his progression of he is throwing to at least. I really cant believe the Bills do not have the automatic audible on every play to at least go for run to pass or vice versa, our offense can't be that simplistic.

The NCAA does it with zone read and package plays. I don't need to audible - i just either hand off or keep it, the blocking scheme is the same. If its a package play i either hand it off, or roll right and have a 2 player read. If nothings there I run.

I think KC definitely does some stuff with package plays. You use presnap motion to create additional action like a fake reverse, etc. It only takes doing that tyreke hill reverse one time for like 60 yards for you to have to respect it.

It's simple. Either TT has the power too and he refuses because he doesn't think he can put the team in the right situation

Or

He's not allowed too because the coaches don't believe he can put the team into the right situation

Either way is not a good look

Then you have to do something else to give the guy a chance. This aint the 90s... and we don't have the WRs built to consistently win 1x1 matchups.

Edited by dneveu

The NCAA does it with zone read and package plays. I don't need to audible - i just either hand off or keep it, the blocking scheme is the same. If its a package play i either hand it off, or roll right and have a 2 player read. If nothings there I run.

I think KC definitely does some stuff with package plays. You use presnap motion to create additional action like a fake reverse, etc. It only takes doing that tyreke hill reverse one time for like 60 yards for you to have to respect it.

Then you have to do something else to give the guy a chance. This aint the 90s... and we don't have the WRs built to consistently win 1x1 matchups.

I have a feeling ... and this is just my opinion... that TT does have power within the offense... I have a feeling he gets the play call and a check out play in the huddle. A run/pass option but he is still very content with handing it off to shady. This is the standard for a veteran who doesn't have FULL command of the offense

You aren't going to be effective with 1 hand tied behind your back. Look at our offense in that game! It wasn't effective.

Good defensive coordinators are going to see Tyrod's limited skill set and quickly figure out his tendencies.

You then scheme to directly address those tendencies and gamble that you aren't going to get burned by not defending his weaknesses.

You end up (if you are the Bills coaching staff) simply asking Tyrod to "play it safe" and "don't lose the game for us."

When he avoids 3 turnovers on 3 successive possessions and a pick 6, he is going what you ask of him, despite not generating any offense or scoring points

The next thing you know, the OC is saying "Tyrod kept us in the game" after the game!

It's the world we are stuck in for now and why I'd love to see a QB change, as that likely only sets us up for an ever higher draft pick. So we can get a QB good enough to catapult us to a higher level than what Tyrod is capable of.

That is to say, he is incapable of doing it.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, to name 2, have made a career out of that skill.

Well, the last two seasons, the offense scored a lot of points in a system suited for TT. I don't know why they kept him here when they knew they were changing the offense.