Thoughts through 2 weeks

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see McDermott as a particularly conservative head coach. How many coaches in the NFL go for it on that 4th and 1? I reckon less than half. I thought the offensive play calling was too conservative and McDermott said in the post-game presser that they need to figure out ways to move the ball when the run game isn't working. So I'm hoping he has the same thoughts and will work to correct it before Denver.

Yeah, could be. I, however, am not sold on Seimian at all, and Joseph is a first time coach like McD, having to travel across the country. This could be a good indicator of the mettle of the Bills and their new coaches, as well as a true look into their offense. You may be right, it could get ugly. I'm thinking Denver with Siemian is not an elite team.

Have you watched him this year? He's checking at the line like Manning, and he is not afraid to throw into tight spots. He may be on his way to becoming a star.

Have you watched him this year? He's checking at the line like Manning, and he is not afraid to throw into tight spots. He may be on his way to becoming a star.

He looked very good to me both games so far. A big improvement from last year. He may have made the leap.

I whole-heartedly agree with your diagnosis.

My question now is this: Does McD see and understand the problem with the offense, and does he take an "active" role in getting it corrected? And if getting it corrected might means firing Rico and Castillo, will he have the cojones to do it? If he just ignores the crap show that's the offense and lets it roll along all season, I think he loses a ton of support among the fans, and just maybe among the players too.

First of all if he is going to fire "Rico" (I am assuming you mean Rick Dennison and cannot spell) and Juan Castillo he needs to find replacements. They were brought in to change the offense philosophy otherwise why would he dump the coaches under contract? When Anthony Lynn got an head coach offer he needed to be allowed to leave but he could have made those with contracts stay.

[Note: I really wish there was a sportrac for coaches contracts]

Now he needs to find replacements and fast - if they are part of current coaching staff then few changes will be made especially if both coaches are replaced. Anthony Lynn mostly used previous OC's plays but just simplified them last year. Otherwise he needs to find them from college or coaches who are unemployed or retired. Tyrod has not had a lot of time with WRs and OL due to various injuries so jumping off a bridge just to reach your goal of #1 draft pick does not make sense.

Is it boring because of our offense, then? Because I think our defense is really exciting to watch. I guess generally people don't enjoy watching defense? But man, our defense looks like it can be one of the elite defenses in the NFL by the end of the year. Let's just hope it's a chemistry problem with the offense and that they will put it together.

Here's to hoping 0:)

Is it boring because of our offense, then? Because I think our defense is really exciting to watch. I guess generally people don't enjoy watching defense? But man, our defense looks like it can be one of the elite defenses in the NFL by the end of the year. Let's just hope it's a chemistry problem with the offense and that they will put it together.

Here's to hoping 0:)

The defense has looked great but I've never bought a ticket to watch a suffocating run defense? Have you?

When I go, I go to watch my team win,

And our D is more than just a suffocating run D. But I will say that Shaq rolling over the RB on that final drive in the goal line D was pretty exciting.

I dropped a grand to watch a 9-3 football game that was awful. Obviously we had a good weekend but that isn't my idea of exciting.

I can't consider Taylor a playmaker and think you have quick judgement on this WR group.

Tyrod makes a few plays here and there with his legs but is totally unreliable throwing the ball. Yeah, he has a high percentage but does he get the ball to the first and second read often? Because what I see is a guy who continues to make the safe play and shys away from the ultimate design of the play. He's a playmaker with his feet, but a QBs main job is to throw the ball. And that seems to be part of his weakness.

At QB, I picture a playmaker who can get the job done when needed, Tyrod is terrible in late game, must score situations.

It's also hard to judge our WRs when Tyrod is playing QB because of his safe play. He rarely gives these guys many chances. 6 targets in the first game. Very few in the second until lat in the game when the Panthers went to prevent. Our slotted #1-#2 guys have lacked opportunities at times from Tyrod the past two years. That d even when Sammy and Woods were on the field.

Edited by BananaB

we knew this is what they would be this year. there is a new regime in town top to bottom, and complete (and refreshing) change in approach and attitude toward the game / roster and they are rebuilding to fit the new requirements. its like an expansion team but with a decent NFL-competitive roster to start.

we knew Sammy wasn't going to get paid after this year when they passed on his 5th year option.

we knew they weren't paying Woods once his contract was up and that Goodwin was a brittle track guy, not an NFL player

we knew TT wasn't their guy when they kept redoing his contract to keep the numbers down; even moreso not the guy now, with Dennison's offense forcing TT to be a pocket QB,

we knew therefore, that top FAs, especially WR types like Jeremy Maclin who want the ball, et al weren't coming to a rebuilding, run-oriented , bad QB, traditionally sh-t franchise if other options existed. So the free agent period was, as expected, pretty thin for our Bills

we knew after the trades for high draft choices (which in retrospect were smart as h-ll, , BTW), they were thinking longer term, not win or bust in 2017

So, we knew well before the season started this would be another season of great competitive spirit and very few wins.

It's not a tank, it just year 1 of the latest rebuild. But these guys look like the first decent management team we've had in a while. and 2018 draft is loaded with QB talent. frankly, the Bills are a lot better than I expected through 2 games. they may again screw up their 2018 draft position after all.....

I can't consider Taylor a playmaker and think you have quick judgement on this WR group.

Tyrod makes a few plays here and there with his legs but is totally unreliable throwing the ball. Yeah, he has a high percentage but does he get the ball to the first and second read often? Because what I see is a guy who continues to make the safe play and shys away from the ultimate design of the play. He's a playmaker with his feet, but a QBs main job is to throw the ball. And that seems to be part of his weakness.

At QB, I picture a playmaker who can get the job done when needed, Tyrod is terrible in late game, must score situations.

It's also hard to judge our WRs when Tyrod is playing QB because of his safe play. He rarely gives these guys many chances. 6 targets in the first game. Very few in the second until lat in the game when the Panthers went to prevent. Our slotted #1-#2 guys have lacked opportunities at times from Tyrod the past two years. That d even when Sammy and Woods were on the field.

Tyrod account for 80% of the rushing yards and 93% of the offense. When things get tough he has to make plays (and did). McCoy being the other playmaker that he looks to in the passing game. The receivers stink. You watched a different game than the one I was at. With the game on the line he did everything!! TT led them down the field and threw a game winning TD that was dropped. He did pretty much the exact opposite of what you are saying!! In fact in 2 of his last 3 starts he led drives that should have won the game. The defense/Carpenter/Rex blew one and Zay the other. He isn't the perfect QB but he is absolutely, undeniably a playmaker (and always has been. The question has been consistency not playmaking ability.

Alas, if you want to continue to complain about the QB there are 1,000 other threads to do that.

we knew this is what they would be this year. there is a new regime in town top to bottom, and complete (and refreshing) change in approach and attitude toward the game / roster and they are rebuilding to fit the new requirements. its like an expansion team but with a decent NFL-competitive roster to start.

we knew Sammy wasn't going to get paid after this year when they passed on his 5th year option.

we knew they weren't paying Woods once his contract was up and that Goodwin was a brittle track guy, not an NFL player

we knew TT wasn't their guy when they kept redoing his contract to keep the numbers down; even moreso not the guy now, with Dennison's offense forcing TT to be a pocket QB,

we knew therefore, that top FAs, especially WR types like Jeremy Maclin who want the ball, et al weren't coming to a rebuilding, run-oriented , bad QB, traditionally sh-t franchise if other options existed. So the free agent period was, as expected, pretty thin for our Bills

we knew after the trades for high draft choices (which in retrospect were smart as h-ll, , BTW), they were thinking longer term, not win or bust in 2017

So, we knew well before the season started this would be another season of great competitive spirit and very few wins.

It's not a tank, it just year 1 of the latest rebuild. But these guys look like the first decent management team we've had in a while. and 2018 draft is loaded with QB talent. frankly, the Bills are a lot better than I expected through 2 games. they may again screw up their 2018 draft position after all.....

I agree and disagree depending on the part. McDermott looks like he can manange games and coach. He looks to me to be a good find but did a bad job assembling the offensive staff. Beane on the flip side hasn't impressed me at all. This roster is less talented than previous rosters (by a lot). They are more disciplined and better coached. I loved the trades for Tre and Zay and hated the Sammy trade. Dumping guys like Gillislee and Williams to give carries to Tolbert is beyond stupid. They tried to build a roster that needs 13-15 play drives to score. It's like competing with Indians by trying to hit singles or the Warriors but dumping it in the post. Teams score fast and in bunches in sports now and we adopted Jauron's offense. I'm not sure how anyone can like the look of it? At its core its flawed.

The defense looks fixed to me. I always thought the problem was Rex. I'm not sure anyone would disagree. They have the same guys in the front 7 and look like a totally different group. It's a great start for them.

This year I think there was a philosophy to assemble guys that won't lose you games instead of ones that can win you games. It makes for boring football and missing out on the qbs. Hopefully we have the resources and someone with a qb stumbles into the top pick (Indy)

Good stuff, Kirby. I agree with all of it.

The Watkins trade and the getting rid of TDMike or JWill really irked me because of the playmaker idea. Big plays by talented players win games. Matthews is a very solid possession receiver but not really a gamebreaker. Zay Jones may become one but he is not one. Tolbert should not in any way be a team's backup RB, especially a running team's. Short yardage, goalline, spot fill in? Sure. Guy you give 10 carries to, no.

Combined with Opie's Jauron ball it's a recipe for mediocrity.

Opie!! Perfect.

I see no way we can win Sunday.

This year I think there was a philosophy to assemble guys that won't lose you games instead of ones that can win you games. It makes for boring football and missing out on the qbs. Hopefully we have the resources and someone with a qb stumbles into the top pick (Indy)

What makes me nervous is if Kyle retires and Dareus is sent packing. WIll our DL be a force with Jerell Worthy and another decent vet in the middle?

You win with stars. Good role players are secondary to stars.