Brady dons the stripes

4merper4mer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was correctly picked up after the Ref huddle. Does it violate any of these????

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c ) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Yes based on the rule. good you posted a rule about Defensive pass interference when talking offensive PI

So it was Correctly picked up

Lobbying? Thats questionable. He went to the head official and said thats legal. Head official then called his huddle and likely asked the back judge (who in no way can see the distance from the LOS to the pick) to explain what he saw. Then asked the Line Judge (who should have been the one to make the call). What he saw. Line judge likely said well it was within a yard.

Quote 1: The rule broken is listed as "A" on your checklist. I do not agree with those saying "b" or "c" were violated. They weren't. 1.5 yards downfield is downfield. Period. The refs knew the rule. If they judged it to be downfield, it was downfield. The flag was thrown and Brady initiated the conference. None of the rest of the crew objected to the initial call until Brady did.

Quote 2: You are incorrect. The note I cited pertains to both OPI and DPI. The second part of the note is not possible to be OPI, but the note as a whole pertains to both sides. Others have posted in the thread bolstering my point and refuting yours when it comes to the actual rule.

Quote 3: Thank you for helping to reiterate my initial point. If you watch a football game you often see one official throw a flag, another approach him and the flag gets picked up, most times with an explanation. If you can find a single clip similar to what happened with Brady taking place in the past few years I'd gladly watch it. The penalized team initiated a conference. If the side judge thought the back judge had made an error in judgement then HE should have initiated a conference. He did not. Tom Brady did. It's ludicrous. They literally took Tom Brady's word that the contact was at the LOS. It wasn't. The film shows that. But even if it had been, it is still absurd to allow Brady to make the call. It's a judgement call.

The NFL allowing this crap makes it a product which is inferior to what it should be. They might not lose a penny so maybe they don't care. The NBA allowed Jordan to referee games at times and it can certainly be argued that it didn't hurt them. It can also be argued that it caused a lot of problems. It is impossible to measure. Rules are rules. IMO they should be governed by officials, not players.

Quote 1: The rule broken is listed as "A" on your checklist. I do not agree with those saying "b" or "c" were violated. They weren't. 1.5 yards downfield is downfield. Period. The refs knew the rule. If they judged it to be downfield, it was downfield. The flag was thrown and Brady initiated the conference. None of the rest of the crew objected to the initial call until Brady did.

Quote 2: You are incorrect. The note I cited pertains to both OPI and DPI. The second part of the note is not possible to be OPI, but the note as a whole pertains to both sides. Others have posted in the thread bolstering my point and refuting yours when it comes to the actual rule.

Quote 3: Thank you for helping to reiterate my initial point. If you watch a football game you often see one official throw a flag, another approach him and the flag gets picked up, most times with an explanation. If you can find a single clip similar to what happened with Brady taking place in the past few years I'd gladly watch it. The penalized team initiated a conference. If the side judge thought the back judge had made an error in judgement then HE should have initiated a conference. He did not. Tom Brady did. It's ludicrous. They literally took Tom Brady's word that the contact was at the LOS. It wasn't. The film shows that. But even if it had been, it is still absurd to allow Brady to make the call. It's a judgement call.

The NFL allowing this crap makes it a product which is inferior to what it should be. They might not lose a penny so maybe they don't care. The NBA allowed Jordan to referee games at times and it can certainly be argued that it didn't hurt them. It can also be argued that it caused a lot of problems. It is impossible to measure. Rules are rules. IMO they should be governed by officials, not players.

Keep trying. But then again EVERY PROFESSIONAL sports league has the superstar standard with rules but this just pisses people off because it is Brady.

And again it was within a yard. Just like all legal picks are authroized. Contact was at the 12. Los was the 13

Keep trying. But then again EVERY PROFESSIONAL sports league has the superstar standard with rules but this just pisses people off because it is Brady.

And again it was within a yard. Just like all legal picks are authroized. Contact was at the 12. Los was the 13

You're wrong and whining. I and others have given specific and documented details. You've said "legal play", need your eyes checked on what constitutes a yard, and have elected to say "because I said so" rather than show one other example of a non-Brady QB doing this.

You're wrong and whining. I and others have given specific and documented details. You've said "legal play", need your eyes checked on what constitutes a yard, and have elected to say "because I said so" rather than show one other example of a non-Brady QB doing this.

LOS is inside the 13 as designated by the down marker.

Contact started at the 12.

So in what world is that over a yard?

And I am whining. Really what is the OP a big entire cry. So pot meet Kettle.

Edited by MAJBobby

Brady, Belichick & Kraft have had this league in their pockets for over a decade.

No. They've been the best for a decade and they've known the rules better than anyone else for a decade.

Stop being jealous.

Obviously the pats get special treatment. That is WELL documented.

Plus, exact same thing happened in GB, but of course they did not pick up the flag despite McCarthy going buck wild.

Brady is the poster boy, and the refs do everything they can to keep it that way. The pats might as well wear stripes too.

It was correctly picked up after the Ref huddle. Does it violate any of these????

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c ) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Thank you.

The Pats did A and C on that play. That is PI.

i saw a little of the Pats* game and was watching when this happened.

If you ask me, it is BS. This is because the situation is either:

1. The referee admitted in full view of everyone that Tom Brady knew the rules better than he did or

2. He made a bad judgement call and reversed it after talking to Brady.

It simply can't be #1. It is the job of the officials to know the rules. "Oh yeah Tom I forgot" doesn't reflect well on the ref. I can be pretty sure he does not want to go into a weekly review stating that he learned a new rule that Tom Brady taught him.

I looked up the rule which says:

Nowhere does it say "close enough" to the line of scrimmage like the article implies. That sounds an awful lot like "just give it to 'em" or in this case, Brady going to the official and saying "just give it to me". The ref has given a tacit admission of an error in judgement on a judgement call. Judgement calls happen all the time and are rarely reversed. Moreover, in this case, the film clearly shows the pick happening not at the line of scrimmage, but a full yard + downfield. So the ref's initial judgement was correct and Brady talked him out of it.

Can anyone honestly say that Tyrod would have gotten the same treatment? How many QBS? 3 or 4? Only stars? Only guys dating movie stars or married to supermodels? IMO stuff like this is a very bad look for the league. Rules are rules. It is completely unfair.

Waaaaaaah!!

Nope legal pick play within 1yard of LOS

The official judged it more than one yard but then changed his mind when Tom Brady told him to do so.

[This is an automated response]The topic title needs some TLC... The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

I changed it. Not sure I I did a great job but I tried to think of what else I might have named it before I started it.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Exactly. Not to mention the Carolina CB complained a couple tines about OPI. And Boom got a call. I wouldnt call Carolina CBs superstars either

Did he get the ref to reverse the call he complained about or was it a subsequent call? Because those are two different things. You know they are different, right?