Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"It definitely helped me and my coach learn each other," Watkins said. "At the same time, I feel like it affected my teammates because they looked at it as selfish."

A foot injury, which forced Watkins to miss half of the 2016 season, triggered a change in perspective.

"I felt like I was consumed, and I was angry," Watkins said. "It was affecting my relationships with the coaches and with the players.

That was insightful. He himself is aware that he probably wasn't that great of a teammate. There were rumors of that, this sort of backs that up.

I would be willing to wager that even though his teammates recognized his pedigree that there wasn't much love loss with his departure.

@MatthewFairburn

The Bills traded Watkins to the Los Angeles Rams prior to the start of the season in exchange for a 2018 second-round pick and cornerback E.J. Gaines. Watkins is in a contract year and has been hot and cold. In weeks 1 and 3, Watkins combined for 11 catches, 164 yards and two touchdowns. In weeks 2 and 4, Watkins combined for just three catches and 37 yards. He's showed no ill effects from the foot injury that cost him much of the 2015 and 2016 season. That injury, he said, was the reason his mood shifted in Buffalo.

"I felt like I was consumed, and I was angry," Watkins told ESPN. "It was affecting my relationships with the coaches and with the players. I wanted to be great so bad, but I was also selfish, too. Because there were some games that we won and I didn't get the ball, and I was upset. I looked at both sides of it, like, yeah, it is a point where you want to be great, but you also have to understand what we have on this team."

Watkins knows the Rams have too many offensive weapons for him to get a Julio Jones or Odell Beckham Jr. share of his offense.

He's constantly comparing himself to those guys, but he now has a different perspective. He's trying not think about the team first. He once said he needs to average 10 targets per game. Right now, Watkins is averaging for targets per game and is perfectly fine with that.

That was insightful. He himself is aware that he probably wasn't that great of a teammate. There were rumors of that, this sort of backs that up.

I would be willing to wager that even though his teammates recognized his pedigree that there wasn't much love loss with his departure.

A coach like McDerma should have had no problem motivating and having a good relationship with the most talented player on the roster. He even commented how hard it was to part with a guy he had a good relationship with. beano must have been the driving force on that trade.

Cowboys do it w Dez B and Giants do it w OBJ, Steelers w Brown, Eagles w TO etc etc......

See the pattern? Mercurial crazy WR are tolerated. And Watkins was not even close to the type of turds those other guys are.

I think he has a lot of regret with how his career with the Bills ended up, if I recall correctly didnt he at one point he wanted to spend his entire career here? Anyways i wouldnt be surprised if with his diminished value if we didnt try and bring him back... I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

So by his own words (and implied words), he was out there limping around last year, mad at his coaches and the medical staff for making him play, but then they'd win a game and he'd also be mad that he wasn't getting the ball, despite the win.

Yeah, I can see why they shipped him out!

Edited by Coach Tuesday

A coach like McDerma should have had no problem motivating and having a good relationship with the most talented player on the roster. He even commented how hard it was to part with a guy he had a good relationship with. beano must have been the driving force on that trade.

Cowboys do it w Dez B and Giants do it w OBJ, Steelers w Brown, Eagles w TO etc etc......

See the pattern? Mercurial crazy WR are tolerated. And Watkins was not even close to the type of turds those other guys are.

Did you see Antonio Brown go ape **** on the Steelers sidelines last week when he thought the ball should be coming his way more often?

So by his own words (and implied words), he was out there limping around last year, mad at his coaches and the medical staff for making them play, but then they'd win a game and he'd also be mad that he wasn't getting the ball, despite the win.

Yeah, I can see why they shipped him out!

this guy gets it. This kind of clarity is only achieved with a healthy steak. Way to go :haha:

But seriously the narrative people cling to in order to hate the trade is laughable

Did you see Antonio Brown go ape **** on the Steelers sidelines last week when he thought the ball should be coming his way more often?

to be fair - they checked down and punted and he was wide open on the left side of the field for the TD.

Also they were playing a division rival so things are generally more heated.

to be fair - they checked down and punted and he was wide open on the left side of the field for the TD.

Also they were playing a division rival so things are generally more heated.

Regardless of why it caused a distraction to the team that spilled over into their preparation this week with Big Ben addressing it publicly.

this guy gets it. This kind of clarity is only achieved with a healthy steak. Way to go :haha:

But seriously the narrative people cling to in order to hate the trade is laughable

Yeah, you've been calling it right. It's All About Sammy, All The Time with this guy. He doesn't want to go out there if he has a boo boo, but if you force him to go out there, you'd better not make him look bad by not targeting him. Even if you win, and even if he's limping around, he's mad because he looks bad. Sounds like a real jerk to me. I guess I give him credit for the self-awareness in that article, we'll see if it actually changes his personality.

You don't think teams are more likely to look past something that one of the top 2 WRs in football for the past 3-4 years does vs a guy who hasn't accomplished much of anything?

Of course star players get more latitude within reason. That's just the nature of the beast. A guy who hasn't accomplished much of anything? I think that's not an accurate measure of Watkins' contributions while with the Bills especially in his 1st two seasons.

Sure. As if he's going to say on NFL Network anything to the contrary. :lol:

Sure thing!

Sammys words today:

"Watkins went on to acknowledge that he was selfish during his time with the Bills as he was dealing with a foot injury and that it hurt relationships with his coaches and fellow teammates. He even went as far to say that at times, he cared more about his own individual production than the team winning games."

Of course star players get more latitude within reason. That's just the nature of the beast. A guy who hasn't accomplished much of anything? I think that's not an accurate measure of Watkins' contributions while with the Bills especially in his 1st two seasons.

By comparison to Brown, he hasn't accomplished much of anything.