Dennison: Tyrod kept us in the game

SaviorPeterman

Do you know what a prevent defense is?

Yes, I do. The term has become synonymous with loosening up your defense. They didn't literally run a 3 deep safety formation, but they backed up their coverage. The CB out wide on McCoy was 15 yards off of him.

It was mentioned on the broadcast that Carolina played off the line and stopped blitzing on the final drive. The point I'm making here is that had the Panthers stuck to what they were doing, and stayed in attack mode it's likely we wouldn't have even gotten the ball that far...hence Ron Rivera kept us in the game. No need for the incivility.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do. The term has become synonymous with loosening up your defense. They didn't literally run a 3 deep safety formation, but they backed up their coverage. The CB out wide on McCoy was 15 yards off of him.

It was mentioned on the broadcast that Carolina played off the line and stopped blitzing on the final drive. The point I'm making here is that had the Panthers stuck to what they were doing, and stayed in attack mode it's likely we wouldn't have even gotten the ball that far...hence Ron Rivera kept us in the game. No need for the incivility.

So you believe that they allowed Andre Holmes to catch several boundary passes in a row and walk out of bounds? How about the last play, why didn't they prevent Zay Homes walking into the end zone untouched if he and Tyrod are on the same page?

https://twitter.com/cover_1_/status/909956438910488583

^5 man blitz on the last drive

https://twitter.com/cover_1_/status/909960104279248896

^Another 5 man blitz on the last drive

Sorry for the "incivility" but come on. Don't make up excuses like that when the tape is right there. I bet we could have spread their defense out more the whole game if we passed the ball earlier.

Edited by HappyDays

Three different OC's have refused to let Tyrod call an audible... It's not like Dennison was restricting Peyton Manning from changing plays at the line.

And yet Tyrod was allowed to not only call audibles at Va Tech........he actually even made the line calls for blocking assignments there.

I think that the Bills have just hired a lot of very conservative offensive coaches(Hackett, Roman and Rico) who would much prefer to die from self inflcted play call mistakes than from QB audibles.

But also.........a lot of new players in a new system........including the two top WR's......a rookie and a guy who has barely played with Tyrod at all.

@Kmart_BN

.@CutonDime25 defends #Bills QB @TyrodTaylor against the detractors: We would have had *no* shot (vs #Panthers) without him.

If by him he means the defense then yes I agree. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that there is no other QB that could have led that offense to 3 points last week. I think the deepest we got into Carolina territory was their 25 yard line. Not exactly setting the bar high here.

Quite a few more people need to read this and then savir it a bit and read it a second time to make sure the read it right the first time.

When the NFL strings together 3-4 years without a non-elite QB playing for a SB then I will start throwing myself about Tyrod.

Zombie Peyton won the SB two years ago(with the help of Brock Osweiler)..........against Cam Newton.......who we all know is a flawed passer.

Russ Wilson has been to two......and should've won both.

Even Colin Kaepernick suffered a narrow defeat in one and just missed a return trip the next year.

The long term formula is getting a franchise QB........but with enough talent around them guys who are by no means out of Tyrod's class can go far for 2-4 season stretch.

If by him he means the defense then yes I agree. Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that there is no other QB that could have led that offense to 3 points last week. I think the deepest we got into Carolina territory was their 25 yard line. Not exactly setting the bar high here.

Actually, Shula had a pretty good game plan against McD's defense and the Carolina offense DOMINATED the Bills D..........just not in the redzone.........and Cam easily left 10-14 points on the field with woeful throws..........hard to fathom the complaints about Tyrod when watching Newton play........take Kelvin Benjamin away from Cam and give him to Tyrod and the Bills win with ease, IMO.

Tyrod is not a franchise QB.........but he is a catalyst.......add the right ingredients........and POINTS GET SCORED.

When the NFL strings together 3-4 years without a non-elite QB playing for a SB then I will start throwing myself about Tyrod.

Zombie Peyton won the SB two years ago(with the help of Brock Osweiler)..........against Cam Newton.......who we all know is a flawed passer.

Russ Wilson has been to two......and should've won both.

Even Colin Kaepernick suffered a narrow defeat in one and just missed a return trip the next year.

The long term formula is getting a franchise QB........but with enough talent around them guys who are by no means out of Tyrod's class can go far for 2-4 season stretch.

A worn out Peyton won a SB not because of Brock Osweiler but because the Broncos not only had the best defense in the league but a dominating defense. If you want to make an argument that for the short term you can be successful with an adequate qb such as TT that is reasonable. But the better argument to be made is that with a good qb you can have a successful run even without a complete roster.

The problem with a qb such as TT and even Kaep is that their deficiencies become more exposed and pronounced as time goes by. Getting Taylor when we did was a gift. It gave this woeful franchise time to find a more well-rounded and credible franchise qb. Not only didn't they do it but they allowed opportunities when available to pass by. Think how the dynamic would have changed for this bedraggled franchise if it would have traded down and still be able to draft Carr?

We'll see.

Roman and Lynn were able to score a lot with TT and Shady. Lynn at one point last season, deep into the season, had this offense ranked as a top 8 scoring offense.

Mcdermott has done to the offense is exactly what Rex did to the defense last year. Taken them out a scheme that fit them perfectly and put them into a scheme that doesnt fit them at all. The offense and defense have traded places from last year. In an additionally brilliant move we traded away our only deep threat so we can expect to see eight or nine in the box the rest of the year with no ability to exploit that.

And begs the question, why did these morons trade their only legitimate deep threat/good receiver?

I can live with losing Goodwin, Woods and Gillislee. But trading Sammy sucked any remaining confidence that TT had left in this offense. Teams will now just load the box with 11 every week. 100 yard games for Shady will end. And eventually the defense will lose their edge being on the field all day. The tank was confirmed with the Sammy trade.

A worn out Peyton won a SB not because of Brock Osweiler but because the Broncos not only had the best defense in the league but a dominating defense. If you want to make an argument that for the short term you can be successful with an adequate qb such as TT that is reasonable. But the better argument to be made is that with a good qb you can have a successful run even without a complete roster.

The problem with a qb such as TT and even Kaep is that their deficiencies become more exposed and pronounced as time goes by. Getting Taylor when we did was a gift. It gave this woeful franchise time to find a more well-rounded and credible franchise qb. Not only didn't they do it but they allowed opportunities when available to pass by. Think how the dynamic would have changed for this bedraggled franchise if it would have traded down and still be able to draft Carr?

Unfortunately there are only two QB's in the NFL who fit your profile of being able to win without a complete roster.......Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

And the latter is helped greatly by GREAT coaching.

Everybody else needs A LOT of talent to regularly contend.

As for TT's deficiencies becoming more pronounced.........while that was the case with guys like JP or Trent and Kaepernick as you said.......that's not the case at all with Taylor.........he's clearly improved from even mid-season last year.

But he's not a franchise QB.........if Phil Rivers and Drew Brees and Matt Ryan are considered franchise QB's can't routinely carry mediocre teams to the playoffs..........why do people expect Taylor to?

We've been losing for so long here that I think people like you have become far sighted and can only see what guys like Brady and Rodgers do............meanwhile there are 29 other teams that don't have that kind of QB situation.

This is what worries me...Dennison is already lying to himself. I know he has to defend TT but you don't have to say this. The D kept them in the game and the Bills should have lost by 30. I don't think TT could have done much with that pedestrian game plan and the WRs we have. Made a good enough throw on the last drive and didn't get rewarded. I hate all these conservative coaches. The only way to win in the NFL consistently is to get up by 2 or 3 scores so one bad call by a ref or one unlucky break or missed assignment doesn't end up in a loss. Keeping us in the game talk is for coaches who will lose too many games on bad breaks just like Sunday!

Unfortunately there are only two QB's in the NFL who fit your profile of being able to win without a complete roster.......Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

And the latter is helped greatly by GREAT coaching.

Everybody else needs A LOT of talent to regularly contend.

As for TT's deficiencies becoming more pronounced.........while that was the case with guys like JP or Trent and Kaepernick as you said.......that's not the case at all with Taylor.........he's clearly improved from even mid-season last year.

But he's not a franchise QB.........if Phil Rivers and Drew Brees and Matt Ryan are considered franchise QB's can't routinely carry mediocre teams to the playoffs..........why do people expect Taylor to?

We've been losing for so long here that I think people like you have become far sighted and can only see what guys like Brady and Rodgers do............meanwhile there are 29 other teams that don't have that kind of QB situation.

I don't understand your response. No one is saying that you have to have a Brady or Rodgers caliber qb to succeed. Those elite players are a rare commodity. You simply can't assume that you can acquire that type of qb. You missed the point, as you often do distorting what is said. What I am saying is that you have to have a legitimate franchise qb to seriously compete. In my view TT is not now a franchise qb and never will be.

You again distorted or misinterpreted how I ranked our roster over-all. No one on this board more than I has stated that the Bills are currently in a rebuilding process that it is going to take another few years before the roster is good enough to compete at a serious level. Your point that you need a good roster to succeed is childishly obvious. When have I said otherwise? When has anyone else said otherwise?

If you want to disagree that is fine. But stop making up stuff so that you can argue against a manufactured narrative created by you. With all due respect you can do better than that.

This is what worries me...Dennison is already lying to himself. I know he has to defend TT but you don't have to say this. The D kept them in the game and the Bills should have lost by 30. I don't think TT could have done much with that pedestrian game plan and the WRs we have. Made a good enough throw on the last drive and didn't get rewarded. I hate all these conservative coaches. The only way to win in the NFL consistently is to get up by 2 or 3 scores so one bad call by a ref or one unlucky break or missed assignment doesn't end up in a loss. Keeping us in the game talk is for coaches who will lose too many games on bad breaks just like Sunday!

I agree with pretty much all of this. However, one point : It's easy to mock Dennison's statement because Taylor had a bad game along with everyone else on the offense. But if I had to guess, his motivation wasn't self-delusion, but this : The only person on the offense remotely close to making plays in that debacle was the only person being blamed by fans and media. Looked at that way, I think you can understand Dennison's clumsy statement.

Edited by grb

TT keeps us in games when the defense is playing great, and even then...if it comes down to the wire, he likely comes up short.

TT plays not to lose, and I despise that style of play.

Like the second Miami game when the Bills had to come back three times and finally take the lead because the defense was playing great. His deep balls to Watkins are playing to lose. I see. This scheme doesn't fit him he'll be gone in 2018 probably. If Peterman plays, I hope he does well. That's what a fan does. which isn't you.

I agree with pretty much all of this. However, one point : It's easy to mock Dennison's statement because Taylor had a bad game along with everyone else on the offense. But if I had to guess, his motivation wasn't self-delusion, but this : The only person on the offense remotely close to making plays in that debacle was the only person being blamed by fans and media. Looked at that way, I think you can understand Dennison's clumsy statement.

Good point. I would just prefer Dennison take the pressure off by taking some responsibility and saying something like TT kept some drives alive and we had a shot but we have to get off to a better start.