Did the defense hurt the offense against Panthers?

HardyBoy

I think this is a joke but I was actually thinking earlier I almost wish the Panthers had scored a TD on that 1st drive. Just to know what the offense would have looked like with their back against the wall.

The POINT is that the offense DID have their backs against the wall, the whole game long, and failed miserably. The WHY is, according to Kelly the Dog here, because the defense didn't do enough in promoting good field position. Your ridiculous longing for the other team to have more points than the Bills is part and parcel an extension of his (and OP's) quantum reasoning behind the rationale that somehow fails to acknowledge the correlation between preventing the opponent from scoring, relative field position, and the various offensive issues resultant.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if I saw the very first play on the drive chart showing at the 33. It's confusing if someone takes a glance at it.

Regardless, we didn't move the ball when it was at any part of the field all game....which is why we had 176 total yards.

I'll agree with that completely. Our offense was atrocious the entire game. No one played well. No one coached well.

And ESPN did make a small mistake. But the play you linked showed clearly we started at the 21 not 33.

The POINT is that the offense DID have their backs against the wall, the whole game long, and failed miserably. The WHY is, according to Kelly the Dog here, because the defense didn't do enough in promoting good field position. Your ridiculous longing for the other team to have more points than the Bills is part and parcel an extension of his (and OP's) quantum reasoning behind the rationale that somehow fails to acknowledge the correlation between preventing the opponent from scoring, relative field position, and the various offensive issues resultant.

I just wanted the play calling to be more aggressive especially in the 1st half. You took my post, and Kelly's, to weird places.

Edited by HappyDays

I never ever said anything resembling that. Cut it out.

I never ever said anything resembling that. Cut it out.

So you never said that field position (ie: the part of the field where the ball changes possession pursuant to the defense's efforts giving way to the offense's) hurt the Bills yesterday? Which, by definition, would argue that the defense hurt the offense by not giving them better fields to work with?

Just come out and say it. Don't hide behind posting where we started with the ball and then back away when it's convenient. Say: 'I agree with OP that the defense hurt the offense WRT field position.' Then at least I'll know who to ignore when it comes to talking football.

How about the defense didn't stop Carolina from having 38+minutes time of possession.

The defense did not get key thrid down stops in many instances too (unless 3rd & 15). They stopped them on short yardage 2X's all game.....

So yes they allowed no TD's, sacked Newton 6X's, but allowed too many 3rd down conversions and lost the field position game......

So you never said that field position (ie: the part of the field where the ball changes possession pursuant to the defense's efforts giving way to the offense's) hurt the Bills yesterday? Which, by definition, would argue that the defense hurt the offense by not giving them better fields to work with?

Just come out and say it. Don't hide behind posting where we started with the ball and then back away when it's convenient. Say: 'I agree with OP that the defense hurt the offense WRT field position.' Then at least I'll know who to ignore when it comes to talking football.

Read the first post I made, that you quoted. I said field position hurts an offense. "That's all." I actually typed out "That's all." I didn't even reference the Bills. I just said it as an inarguable fact. I didn't blame the defense once for it. Although I did say that a few smart football fans SURMISED that MAYBE SOME conservative coaching and playcalling was due to our defense being on the field in the heat all day. That is not blaming the defense either. The defense was fantastic. The offense was atrocious.

Read the first post I made, that you quoted. I said field position hurts an offense. "That's all." I actually typed out "That's all." I didn't even reference the Bills. I just said it as an inarguable fact. I didn't blame the defense once for it. Although I did say that a few smart football fans SURMISED that MAYBE SOME conservative coaching and playcalling was due to our defense being on the field in the heat all day. That is not blaming the defense either. The defense was fantastic. The offense was atrocious.

You were clearly referencing the game yesterday, alluded to it by throwing in the qualifier 'on the road'. Supplemented it by listing the starting field position for each of the Bills' drives. To what end, I have no idea. If your overall point really is that you and your smart football fan friends agree that longer fields make it harder on an offense, congratulations I guess.

in 1st half not 1 pass thrown over 10 yards

in 2nd half there were 3 passes thrown over 10 yards.....2 were out of bounds on sideline and zay dropped the other one at end of game.

blame the OC or risk adverse QB

Again to me there is no doubt this is the result of bad coaching and OC planning. Same in 2015 & 2016.

The Bills started drives from the 25-10-2-25-21-25-21-14-43-25.

THIS is the downside to bend but don't break stategy.

When your D bends on the other side of the field and finally stops them around mid field or later, you end up with bad field position frequently.

The answer of course would be for the O to play better.

WTH?!? Is this similar to NFC wins being bad for the Bills' playoff chances? :lol:

Haha, I know, was going to put that in the OP, and I was aware of the similarity as I was starting the thread!

That said, there are times when a defense will allow a team to score on purpose to get the ball back, or a team intentionally gives up a safety.

I guess my question is more, does a close game with poor field position lead to more conservative play calling, where if you get behind schedule, you play safe and are ok with punting until you get scored on and then get aggressive to flip the field?

Edited by HardyBoy

38,000+ posts and you're agreeing with this joke thread? Come on.

Number of posts has nothing to do with how much sense poster makes.

And 'giving the defense a breather'? LOL they had a 17+ minute advantage in TOP! Maybe the defense was purposefully giving the offense longer fields in hopes it would lead to longer drives so they could get a rest in.

Maybe the defense was taking their time because they were trying for takeaways knowing offense was unable to score?