Big takeaway from our opponent today: Newton way overrated

I don't see it that way. nothing wrong with looking for an outside perspective.

More posts from them, their perspective is wildly different from our fans:

Bills could have easily won that game, and a lot of that had to do with Taylor. He played smart, and honestly did what he had to do to win but Zay just couldn't haul it in. Could have been a better throw, but in that situation you gotta come down with that.

No doubt, but my point is that they were in position to win that game because of Taylor's play. (And of course their defense) After 59 minutes they were in the game with a chance. (and they came very close) I'm not blaming Zay for the loss, but the truth is they were VERY close to a W and it could have easily went the other way with the outcome of ONE play at the very end of the game. They were pretty much one play away from winning that game. Taylor did what he needed to do to win the game in that situation, but they came up short.

The Bills and their fans would be wise to stick with Taylor. They could do much worse than him. The kid shows potential.

Hell I wouldn't mind having him backup Cam until Cam hangs it up. Let the Bills cut him so we can go after him

The only way their offense was able to move the ball was when he scrambled. And he almost took them down the field and won the game for them. They're making a mistake if they move on from him.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to our Olsen and where is our Benjamin to replace him. Oh yeah, I forgot we have Andre Holmes.

Yep.

And Cam has a lot of familiarity with his weapons at this point.

Since the whole All-22 seems to be a theme in other discussions today, I think some folks should go take a look at how incredibly wide open Cam's WRs were on several plays.

Cam got hammered by the Bills pretty badly. It's no wonder some of his throws were off. The exact same thing happens to every QB. How do you beat Brady? Hit him. A lot.

In fact, Newton takes more hits than probably any other QB, and the Refs never call roughing the passer for him, so defenses know they can take shots.

No, this is not me saying that Taylor is better than Newton.

Yes, I am anticipating a lot of folks just jumping down my throat and this thread.

Try being objective for even a second today.

In a vacuum, we're going to move on from our current QB after this year if our passing game doesn't vastly improve and use an arsenal of draft picks to supposedly draft our future franchise QB who will likely compete for the starting job right away with Taylor and/or Peterman.

Carolina is stuck with a guy with serious accuracy issues (today was far from an anomaly for Newton), who too often only throws to WRs who are wide open (helloooooo why were they so damn wide open at those points?!) and who already seems to be getting seriously affected by all the NFL hits he's taking.

The Panthers have a fantastic D. If they're a good team this year, their likely riding their Elite D all the way. Not their overrated QB.

Onto the next Elite D :doh:

Newton recovering from a serious injury and an operation with not nearly enough time to work with his receivers ad get his arm in shape ... you'd say he was overrated but he was awful in week one and wasn't really expected to have fully recovered by this time.

In his Super Bowl year his QB rating was about 17 points higher than he managed today.

Your post, yet another trying desperately to find a way to spin Tyrod as better than he is, was up to normal standards. Awful.

Yes, their excellent defence helps. A lot. But a healthy Newton is very dangerous and puts Tyrod to shame. The NFL MVP would for most people kinda show that. Has Tyrod been mentioned as a possible MVP candidate somewhere that I missed?

Edited by Thurman#1

I think that on balance he's a near-elite player, but he does have and always has had basic flaws to his game, especially accuracy and consistency as well as taking far too many sacks. He is one of the greatest runnning qbs of all time, plays well in the clutch, and has a great arm. While Terry Bradshaw had a different game, in terms of the combo of strengths and weaknesses, they are similar players. With regard to this comparison, btw, I don't care how many super bowls Bradshaw won; most of them can be chalked up to the greatest defense in league history.

Edited by dave mcbride

Newton recovering from a serious injury and an operation with not nearly enough time to work with his receivers ad get his arm in shape ... you'd say he was overrated but he was awful in week one and wasn't really expected to have fully recovered by this time.

In his Super Bowl year his QB rating was about 17 points higher than he managed today.

Your post, yet another trying desperately to find a way to spin Tyrod as better than he is, was up to normal standards. Awful.

Yes, their excellent defence helps. A lot. But a healthy Newton is very dangerous and puts Tyrod to shame. The NFL MVP would for most people kinda show that. Has Tyrod been mentioned as a possible MVP candidate somewhere that I missed?

Wohoo!!! Thurm is back with his hot takes and now he can read minds.

I am

so

freaking

jealous!

I mean, in a post where I'm talking entirely about Cam, he somehow knows that I'm really talking about someone else I don't talk about at all. Wow! How does he do that?!?!

Damn, where's the sarcasm icon :doh:

If anyone is curious what Carolina fans think about yesterday's game. Here's a thread with people saying Cam has looked like crap, and debating whether he or the OC are more to blame:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141417-todays-offensive-performance-is-on-cam/

Here they are giving McDermott credit for keeping the game close even though we have less talent:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141412-hats-off-to-sean-mcdermott/

Feeling down about the Bills? Here's what one Panthers fan thinks:

Oh and they are aware of this thread! And have their own thread about it:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/141505-i-dont-think-their-d-is-that-good-and-certainly-not-elite/

Hello Panthers fans!

Posts from that thread I liked:

I always find other fans' comments interesting. Sometimes I think they have a better perspective on the Bills than we do.

I'm flam fluten. I wonder if they miss me. 80% don't know **** about football. 10% are reasonable. 9% are great. And Jase is a fan of fat chicks.

Yep.

And Cam has a lot of familiarity with his weapons at this point.

Since the whole All-22 seems to be a theme in other discussions today, I think some folks should go take a look at how incredibly wide open Cam's WRs were on several plays.

what exactly are you trying to prove with this thread? that both taylor and cam had a bad game? that cam is losing his game?

other than both having a bad game they have very little in common as far as size and ability to throw the football, cam wins there.

one thing taylor will not do as cam has done with his team is lead them to the playoffs and a sb appearance. so nit picking cams game is pretty useless when trying to justify taylors bad game.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

what exactly are you trying to prove with this thread? that both taylor and cam had a bad game? that cam is losing his game?

other than both having a bad game they have very little in common as far as size and ability to throw the football, cam wins there.

one thing taylor will not do as cam has done with his team is lead them to the playoffs and a sb appearance. so nit picking cams game is pretty useless when trying to justify taylors bad game.

I said it last week and will say it again. He is vastly over rated. He completes less than 60% of his passes for his career!

He can be electric and lights out. He is incredibly talented. However the production hasn't been there since the Super Bowl season. That season the Panthers got to play an incredibly easy schedule against the AFC South (won by the 9-7 Texans) and NFC East won by the (9-7 Redskins) who featured 6 teams that finished .500 or worse. Then their division which had an 8-8 Falcons, 7-9 Saints, and 6-10 Bucs that he got to play twice. That is 14 games against teams that finished .500 or worse. They played the Seahawks and Packers who finished 10-6 to round out their schedule. He won MVP and put up huge numbers but that was an incredibly lucky schedule.

I agree that when engaged he is fantastic but there are too many games like this weeks littered through his career to say he is a top 5-10 guy. He can play like the best QB in the league as we saw in 2015 but last year and this year so far he has performed as somewhere around the 20th best QB in the league. Without going through names he falls somewhere around 15 for me give or take.

Prove?

I said the big takeaway is that Cam is overrated. It has not a thing to do with Taylor even though people are bringing him into the conversation.

I'll probably talk about this for another day then we're onto Denver!

Prove?

I said the big takeaway is that Cam is overrated. It has not a thing to do with Taylor even though people are bringing him into the conversation.

Where do you rate Newton? I have him around 8-10th best QB in the league.

I said it last week and will say it again. He is vastly over rated. He completes less than 60% of his passes for his career!

He can be electric and lights out. He is incredibly talented. However the production hasn't been there since the Super Bowl season. That season the Panthers got to play an incredibly easy schedule against the AFC South (won by the 9-7 Texans) and NFC East won by the (9-7 Redskins) who featured 6 teams that finished .500 or worse. Then their division which had an 8-8 Falcons, 7-9 Saints, and 6-10 Bucs that he got to play twice. That is 14 games against teams that finished .500 or worse. They played the Seahawks and Packers who finished 10-6 to round out their schedule. He won MVP and put up huge numbers but that was an incredibly lucky schedule.

I agree that when engaged he is fantastic but there are too many games like this weeks littered through his career to say he is a top 5-10 guy. He can play like the best QB in the league as we saw in 2015 but last year and this year so far he has performed as somewhere around the 20th best QB in the league. Without going through names he falls somewhere around 15 for me give or take.

I guess my point was why nit pick his game? we played him, they won. I believe, could be wrong but I believe the OP was comparing to justify both had a bad game and wanted to show cam was no better than taylor. both had a bad game, both faced a pretty stout defense. bills and taylor lost.

also my point was, regardless of how he got there through good and bad games, he still managed to see the post season and sb. something I am pretty certain taylor will not do with the bills unless they make both this season.

taylor is on the outs after the 2017 season I do believe.

Prove?

who cares if he's overrated, really?

so you'll be discussing how overrated siemian is next week also?

I guess my point was why nit pick his game? we played him, they won. I believe, could be wrong but I believe the OP was comparing to justify both had a bad game and wanted to show cam was no better than taylor. both had a bad game, both faced a pretty stout defense. bills and taylor lost.

also my point was, regardless of how he got there through good and bad games, he still managed to see the post season and sb. something I am pretty certain taylor will not do with the bills unless they make both this season.

taylor is on the outs after the 2017 season I do believe.

who cares if he's overrated, really?

so you'll be discussing how overrated siemian is next week also?

Siemien(an?) has looked pretty good lately IMO. A bit of a late bloomer. He played very well against a pretty decent Cowboys defense.

More posts from them, their perspective is wildly different from our fans:

I can't think of a fanbase whose opinion means less to me than Carolina. How many times have they seen Tyrod play? Maybe twice?

Prove?

You literally brought him in the conversation this topic.

I'm gonna say this, and I'm not trying to be mean. But you actually suck at playing the victim.

Edited by jmc12290

Probably more like 11-15 for me.

A lot of the young guys leave things up in the air for me needing to see more from the likes of Prescott, Wentz, Goff and even Mariota and Winston.

Well let's do it then:

Rodgers

Brady

Ryan

Brees

Roethlisberger

Carr

Stafford

Rivers

Newton

Luck

Who do you have ahead of him? And does my list look like I have him in your 'way overrated' category?