Best defense in the NFL?

Beast

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. Pretty amazing for sure.

Hope they don't waste it in a Billsy fashion.

They looked good, but I'm not sure NYJ or CAR are that good offensively.

The best defense in the NFL would have closed the door in the 4th quarter. With the game on the line, Carolina went on an 8 minute drive. The best defense in the league would have stepped on their throat in the 4th.

Not to say that they aren't a good defense, or a great defense, but they're not the best defense.

The only problem with that idea is that it doesn't account for the offensively ineptitude in the first half. The TOP in the first half seemed like +15:00 for Carolina. You can't demand immediate stops from a defense that has played all day already.

We have a good D for sure....but I don't think we're the BEST in the NFL..... we've played the Jets and a OK Panthers offense...let's see what we do vs Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Tom Brady....then we'll know how good we are on D.....

Drew Bees only put up 20 on NE. 😀

The only bad thing I've seen about the defense is the gigantic holes they leave in the zone coverage scheme. Brady will shred them.

Otherwise, they've been playing fantastically.

I think some of those holes were because a linebacker was spying on Cam. Johnson was definitely out of position on at least one. Edited by dulles

Haven't played a good offense yet.

Dude, I don't care who they played. Carolina ran 78 plays and got 256 yards and 9 points...because the offense couldn't stay on the field. No matter what kind of offense you are playing those are phenomenal numbers

They've played better than any time under Ryan. Not sure just how good they are (many long drives today, Newton missed some throws that would have widened the spread). Of course, the Bills offense didn't give them a break. We shall see-- but promising so far.

Outside of 10-20 yard passes over the middle the defense has been stellar. Run defense has been extraordinary. No deep passes. Passes in the flat or to backs have been handled well. We need to tighten up the middle, which is a big chore. But defense has been terrific, especially considering the woeful offense today.

It was a fantastic defensive effort. We stuffed the run throughout the game and played lights out in the second half. Tremendous pressure with the front four, effective blitzing that got to the quarterback and that last pass interference they received where they had a first at the one, the fact that we were able to stuff them on their next two runs showed a lot of character.

And this team 2 years from now is going to have a lot more talent than it does right now, and even though TT cost them the game with his errant throw, I feel as if this team is building the foundation necessary to get us going where we need to go.

Outside of 10-20 yard passes over the middle the defense has been stellar. Run defense has been extraordinary. No deep passes. Passes in the flat or to backs have been handled well. We need to tighten up the middle, which is a big chore. But defense has been terrific, especially considering the woeful offense today.

Wonder if that's by design? If they're going to let a team beat them, it's by a QB finding a guy sitting down in a tight window in the zone 20 yards downfield? Not an easy throw to make, especially if you're under pressure.

Wonder if that's by design? If they're going to let a team beat them, it's by a QB finding a guy sitting down in a tight window in the zone 20 yards downfield? Not an easy throw to make, especially if you're under pressure.

Maybe. I was shocked that the Panthers went away from it in the second half. They had it whenever they wanted.

I like what this defense has done but my gut instinct tells me it's a mirage because of who we've played so far combined with the defense giving max effort to start the season. I'm also not sold on the LB corp and feel they will be exposed big time soon both in the pass and running game.

And we've all seen this script play out before especially once the injuries start happening combined with playing better teams. And eventually most of these guys are going to stop busting their ass when they know they don't have a QB or offense that can keep up with good teams and is scoring less than 10 points a game.

This defense reminds me of Marrone's first year back in 2013 and we all know how that season ended up.

I like what this defense has done but my gut instinct tells me it's a mirage because of who we've played so far combined with the defense giving max effort to start the season. I'm also not sold on the LB corp and feel they will be exposed big time soon both in the pass and running game.

And we've all seen this script play out before especially once the injuries start happening combined with playing better teams. And eventually most of these guys are going to stop busting their ass when they know they don't have a QB or offense that can keep up with good teams and is scoring less than 10 points a game.

This defense reminds me of Marrone's first year back in 2013 and we all know how that season ended up.

Every single starting LB on this team will not be a starting LB 2 years from now. This unit will be completely revamped, having said that it goes to show you what a semi slow limited athletically group of LB's can do when they play good solid, disciplined fundamental football. They still perform at a pretty good level.

There will be more new DB's, LB's and Linemen that will be added to this team over the next couple years. The talent level is only going to improve from where we are.

The best defense in the NFL would have closed the door in the 4th quarter. With the game on the line, Carolina went on an 8 minute drive. The best defense in the league would have stepped on their throat in the 4th.

Not to say that they aren't a good defense, or a great defense, but they're not the best defense.

stepped on their throat by allowing three points in the second half to a good offense on their home opener. dont blame the D, they were solid

Every single starting LB on this team will not be a starting LB 2 years from now. This unit will be completely revamped, having said that it goes to show you what a semi slow limited athletically group of LB's can do when they play good solid, disciplined fundamental football. They still perform at a pretty good level.

There will be more new DB's, LB's and Linemen that will be added to this team over the next couple years. The talent level is only going to improve from where we are.

The biggest fear I had going into this game was that McCaffrey was going to kill them on swing passes and in the flat because the LBs just couldn't keep up with him. That never really happened. Alexander was very good. Brown and Humber overall were fine. We missed a few assignments on short passes over the middle in the first half but it didn't kill us. Most of those plays were on the DBs. The linebackers have played surprisingly well in both games.

The biggest fear I had going into this game was that McCaffrey was going to kill them on swing passes and in the flat because the LBs just couldn't keep up with him. That never really happened. Alexander was very good. Brown and Humber overall were fine. We missed a few assignments on short passes over the middle in the first half but it didn't kill us. Most of those plays were on the DBs. The linebackers have played surprisingly well in both games.

They really have and you know that these guys aren't the guys they envision as the future core of their LB group. I'm guessing we are going to draft a speedy, instinctive MLB high in next years draft and let go of P. Brown. Humber and Alexander may still be around but I'm guessing they'll address those LB's through FA and the draft as well.

They'll pick up another DB or two and probably another interior DL. They have plenty of draft picks and cap room to add on to this team.

Not a chance, we're good but not great we've played two bad teams.

I don't think Carolina is a bad team. Cam wasn't Cam today because of him still in recovery, I think they will get better when Cam goes back to being Cam.

As for the OP I like our D alot but I don't think they will be as good if Tyrod has more games like today, we got lucky Cam wasn't Cam today, so a better QB would have worn them down by the 4th. They are playing good but it won't be enough to be the best with Tyrod at QB in my opinion.

stepped on their throat by allowing three points in the second half to a good offense on their home opener. dont blame the D, they were solid

A defense can only do so much, a offense needs to help it out and Tyrod didn't help at all today.