Most alarming is McDermott

This is a terrible thread, IMO. For three reasons:

1) we didn't lose because of clock management; it played actually no role whatsoever in the outcome of the game and so I don't get why this is a complaint.

2) in hindsight, the clock was actually managed correctly. If Zay catches that ball, we call TO and then easily have 3

Shots at the end zone while giving the panthers no chance to get the ball back.

3) if you can't appreciate how well coached the D was out there today and on the road, you are missing what coaching is all about. The game management stuff comes with experience; the fundamental coaching doesn't.

agree

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one calling for McD's head, eh?

No just pointing out that this is what we can expect to see this season and he is culpable because of choices he and Beane have made.

If he doesn't start "playing to win".....and winning........ by NEXT season.......yeah, it will be time to grab the torches and pitchforks..........this wasn't a ground-up rebuild and he and his pet GM have turned this into one of the oldest teams in the NFL with their personnel choices.

The great thing is how well Jauron has aged and it seems his clapping skills have really improved.

What I don't get is how guys get head coach jobs without ever being in that role. No offense to the 7 year old girl's soccer team he coached.

"What I don't get is how guys get head coach jobs without ever being in that role." Think about that for a while.

Should've used a time out after the 2nd down play in my opinion (or first? I forget). They wasted the next down by hurrying to the line and tossing a fade to the end zone. Call a time out there and regroup should you actually can get a good play call. You already know you're playing 4 down ball, give yourselves 2 plays to get the first instead of going for it all.

Time management was why we lost? It wasn't even a contributing cause.

The coaching is a major strength of this team, we have gone from a team plagued with penalties to a team that doesn't commit all that many. We now have a very disciplined defense already playing at a very high level and I can tell you this, the talent level is only going to get better.

I won't get into the reasons why we lost on this thread, but it certainly wasn't coaching. To be honest with you, knowing all the draft choices and salary cap room we will have I am as optimistic as I have been about this team's future than I've been in a very long time.

Should've used a time out after the 2nd down play in my opinion (or first? I forget). They wasted the next down by hurrying to the line and tossing a fade to the end zone. Call a time out there and regroup should you actually can get a good play call. You already know you're playing 4 down ball, give yourselves 2 plays to get the first instead of going for it all.

What was more wrong with the play is that TT threw the ball out of bounds, giving Jones no chance at coming down with it.

Time management was why we lost? It wasn't even a contributing cause.

The coaching is a major strength of this team, we have gone from a team plagued with penalties to a team that doesn't commit all that many. We now have a very disciplined defense already playing at a very high level and I can tell you this, the talent level is only going to get better.

I won't get into the reasons why we lost on this thread, but it certainly wasn't coaching. To be honest with you, knowing all the draft choices and salary cap room we will have I am as optimistic as I have been about this team's future than I've been in a very long time.

There's no way of knowing whether or not McDermott's poor game management in the 4th quarter was a contributing cause to the loss. It certainly could have been (I think it was) but we won't know because we don't get to see the parallel universe where McDermott's game management wasn't inexcusably awful. Unfortunately.

But that doesn't mean we can't point out how horrible it was. And how much of a concern that is with regard to the future of this franchise.

1) we didn't lose because of clock management; it played actually no role whatsoever in the outcome of the game and so I don't get why this is a complaint.

2) in hindsight, the clock was actually managed correctly. If Zay catches that ball, we call TO and then easily have 3

3) if you can't appreciate how well coached the D was out there today and on the road, you are missing what coaching is all about. The game management stuff comes with experience; the fundamental coaching doesn't.

yep on 1 & 3, No on 2, he didn't manage the clock r his timeouts very well. It's a learning experience for him.

So, critiques of games must be confined to only those things that actually "lost" the game for us? Bullschit. McD made two glaring clock management mistakes and looked confused doing so and that's an important thing to look at moving forward. It's just too important an aspect of the game to not hold him accountable for.

Absolutely fair to critique.

Let's see him improve. I'll bet he does. So many coaches - seasoned coaches - struggle with this.

Agreed, I did not understand the hysteria in the GDT about clock management.