Week 2: Panthers' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

26CornerBlitz

Only chance the Bills have in this game is if Newton continues to struggle and the defense can create multiple turnovers. If not we will likely lose by 14+ points similar to what the Panthers beat the 49ers by.

Also the whole idea that McDermott and Beane give us an advantage is somewhat overblown and I've never given much credence to coaches playing against their former teams being more motivated or being able to craft some sort of 'inside' game plan against them.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

****, I'm getting a hotel Friday and Saturday night

Benjamin is slow, unathletic and fat. White is fast and athletic and powerful.

I still think Benjamin is good, but that's why i think that's the strategy. Make Newton beat you over the top.

I have to think that our Panthers connection is more valuable to us than it is to them (knowing our HC's tendencies is still a familiarity positive), but that it is unlikely to play as big a role as the Lawyer Milloy 31-0 win, because we are talking about last year and not last week.

But that said, I think we do have something here that our coach will be able to use to our advantage in the chess match and planning beyond the 53 man overall talent we come up short with. I think this is the most likely road stunner (compared to KC,NE,ATL ) for the season, but one where we should obviously be a sizable dog to start. And I think that Carolina isn't quite as good as people think.

That said, 1-1 is much more likely than 2-0, and if we win, lose competitively, or are blown out this week could show a lot more about our chances for the season than our mostly unimpressive win over the Jets did.

I see this as a blowout in the Panthers' favor - their offense is a perfectly-structured Cover-2-buster, and their fast linebackers will frustrate Tyrod in the passing game and probably generate some turnovers.

That said, Boyst knows the Panthers better than anyone here and he is predicting a Bills win, which intrigues me.

Only chance the Bills have in this game is if Newton continues to struggle and the defense can create multiple turnovers. If not we will likely lose by 14+ points similar to what the Panthers beat the 49ers by.

Also the whole idea that McDermott and Beane give us an advantage is somewhat overblown and I've never given much credence to coaches playing against their former teams being more motivated or being able to craft some sort of 'inside' game plan against them.

You can bet that McDermott knows the weak spots in Carolina as a team because of his vast experience with that team. That can provide a real advantage - just like Harbaugh got when devising a game plan against Tyrod last year.

If the Bills run the ball well and stop the run well, they will come away with another win.

SNAP COUNTS: PANTHERS AT 49ERS

Rookie running back Christian McCaffrey was in for 70 percent of the offensive plays in Week 1.

6-PACK: DEFENSE DOMINANT, OFFENSE "SPOTTY" IN SEASON OPENER

After Julius Peppers helped harass Brian Hoyer, the future Hall of Famer had fun with reporters.

WATCH LIVE: PRESS CONFERENCE

Interview with head coach Ron Rivera at approximately 2 p.m.

Been watching the Panthers since 1998 when we moved to Charlotte.

Big Cam fan. He has his flaws but Shula has put him in a system that plays to his strengths and this year is trying to protect him. I'm not sure how his shoulder is but he had some zip on the ball yesterday is places. If you've ever had surgery, it takes a while for you to trust it.

What I'm not is wishful. The Panthers are a playoff caliber team. The Bills aren't.

That said, I have to decide between my Jackson or Reed jerseys for this game( which I will be at) and whether or not I will be wearing my Zubaz. I WILL have my Bills wrestling mask!!!

Carolina has a very good defensive interior, so the middle three of Richie-Wood-Miller are going to need to be up to the task.

Also, the pass rush is going to have to perform better than they did against McCown. They need to be able to make Cam pay for his 5/7-step drops.

hopefully the fruit eater sees this, it'll help

I don't see them blowing us out and if they do that also wouldn't surprise me. The Panthers need a reason to be happy right now. If they come out just right then they'll be lit up. Char-lit as the kids say here.

But after seeing what 4 guys and the occasional 5th guy took to mccown with no time than I am thinking that we will be able to get to Newton. The Panthers altered their play last year to make the gaps tighter on their line to protect cam more. That cut down his lanes. Hughes and Lawson can contain and our lbs scraped very well. I'm thinking this is a better matchup for Hughes than anyone while Lawson might have a damn good game. The pressure will be there and we know we have to hit him. I think we can get under his skin. I think he will make damn big plays like always but we need to knock them hard every time. I don't see him able to take 7 step drops with out sacrificing a target. And Benjamin isn't a target just a distraction, right now at least.

I'd take McCoy over keuchly right now. Keuchly looks rusty, lost, scared, warming up, held back...? Iunno.

Thomas Davis is the key to that defense. He will be the factor to stop Taylor as he is smart, fast and amazing.

Their DL is not better than the Jets. Just different. Not sure I feared them. They don't have much of a personality. We do. We may beat them down.

Our WR's will be crucial. I can hope we find a way to mismatch clay and get him all over the field.

Dimarco has been known to blast some of those kittens so this is nothing new

I also don't want to see any more of Tolbert.

Bills by 4. Carolina starts to rally. But we hold them

Edited by Boyst62

Bottom line... if we want the Bills to stop being considered a joke, this is the exact type of game we need to win: an away game against a good football team, while all analysts are discounting our win "because it's the Jets." Time to show that it's a new Bills culture.

You can bet that McDermott knows the weak spots in Carolina as a team because of his vast experience with that team. That can provide a real advantage - just like Harbaugh got when devising a game plan against Tyrod last year.

If the Bills run the ball well and stop the run well, they will come away with another win.

the other side of the coin, Carolina knows the best way to attack McD's D.

The Panthers O+D lines are better than the Bills.

Their LBs are better. Their DBs can handle the Bills receivers.

Cam is as capable of scrambling and on a bad day equal to TT as a passer.

McCaffery is Shadyesque .

Unless, McD has some secret sauce cooked up for Cam , the line is right.

I like McCaffery...but Shadyesque? I want some of whatever you're snorting.

Carolina has a very good defensive interior, so the middle three of Richie-Wood-Miller are going to need to be up to the task.

Also, the pass rush is going to have to perform better than they did against McCown. They need to be able to make Cam pay for his 5/7-step drops.

I agree that the rush will be key, but I thought they were much better than they are getting credit for. The vast majority of Hoyers passes were quick drops and short yardage. When he did drop back fully and looked a bit deeper the rush was getting the job done. That said, obviously Cam will be much harder to contain.

@PanthersBryan

Rivera says emphasis on ones-vs.-ones in practice helped Newton get up to speed, but he needs more time to shake off the rust.

@PanthersBill

RR: CMC like a new toy at Christmas, but you don’t want to use him too much and wear out the batteries.

RR said Cam Newton came out of the game fine. Just some “nicks” for other guys.

@MikeSolarte

#panthers RR: texted Sean McDermott after BUF win. Has familiarity with facing teams that have idea of how his teams play

#panthers RR: on long drive, ball started in 1 foot line, kudos to our guys. Accepted challenge, grind out 7 minutes.

#panthers RR: pleased with 3 minute drive before half. Used sidelines, spike it to get kicker on.

#panthers RR: really liked rhythm of Wilks defensive play calling. Pleased with halftime ideas and execution.

#panthers RR: I think it's a good first impression (for defense). We had opportunities to be even better as a defense.

#panthers RR: promises CMC will learn from his fumble.

#panthers RR: would have liked to see more WR combos...did different things, but would like to see more WR mix.

#panthers RR: between Peppers and CJohson, that was about what we wanted (participation)

@PanthersMax

Rivera said he congratulated McDermott on his first win. "This is going to be an emotional week."

Tell that to Jim Schwartz when we dominated the NFC Central a couple of years ago.

Edited by r00tabaga