Curb Your Enthusiasm is back October 1st.

njbuff

On the bright side you didn't have to do with reality TV with stupid dancing and singing competitions that a certain someone insists on watching.

most Thursdays were spent back then with a date, sorta watching the TV

And now she has a recurring role as a nutcase on Modern Family.

Speaking of that show, they need to find a way to pull a Curb and get an all out Married with Children reunion. They had Bud at one point, now get the rest.

I'd watch that.

I think it's because the cable shows (HBO, Showtime, etc.) Are able to push the boundaries further and be edgier then that on regular networks so now when you look back at what was the top then, it looks tame and childish because they weren't able to do what they can now. Now they can have cases of rape and gruesome murders instead of old ladies getting purses snatched and a hold up at the bank where all the hostages are safe and sound

There's also more competition now (FX, AMC, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Showtime, etc...) and more shows are given the green light than ever before.

Both of these points are accurate imo. The economic cratering/shrinking of the feature film side of the business for mid-level writers is another point that helped. That drove a lot of talent into TV in the past decade on the writing/creating side.

You know how you can tell Curb Your Enthusiasm is old, tired and sucky?

When the thread about it devolves into arguments over whether Shelly friggin Long is hot.

Good Lord why not brag about how many posters of Carol Channing you all had on the walls of your room growing up?

When the thread about it devolves into arguments over whether Shelly friggin Long is hot.

Good Lord why not brag about how many posters of Carol Channing you all had on the walls of your room growing up?

Carol's striptease in Skidoo is unforgettable.

Beats Gleason's bad acid trip.

If you want to pick at something while watching the show, point out the times that the actors are trying not to give away that they are in Larrys crazy universe instead of treating this as a comic semi-serious work of culture. Where do you go now that irony and self-consciousness has been totally swallowed up by a TV shows premise running since 1989 without a blip?

To be fair, I didn't get a chance to watch Episode 1 until last night - and it was hilarious. Not at all where I expected the season to go. :lol:

Your posts are "old, tired and sucky"... did you get dissed by Larry David or something?

We get it. You don't like the show. Checked. That. Box.

I disagree and enjoyed the episode. It seemed like more of a typical Curb episode compared to the 1st one.

it was too Seinfeldian, a lot of repeats of tropes that worked once

i understand they are running out of ideas, but HBO wants edginess, not Seinfeldian pickle jars and cookie tongs jokes (ever wonder about your laundry and the socks in there, who are these people??)

Funk's pitcher kid wasn't worthy of top-shelf Curb delivery.

it was too Seinfeldian, a lot of repeats of tropes that worked once

i understand they are running out of ideas, but HBO wants edginess, not Seinfeldian pickle jars and cookie tongs jokes (ever wonder about your laundry and the socks in there, who are these people??)

Funk's pitcher kid wasn't worthy of top-shelf Curb delivery.

I understand your point as shows eventually run stale no matter how good they are. It's still better than most comedies out there right now though.

-------------------------------------------------

MUCH BETTER!!!!!!

but you can have total clunkers like the 2nd episode, they can't all be inspired or funny.

Even Beethoven wrote his 8th symphony during his 5th to 9th run....

And another great episode, Larry cant get it out and Jeff .cant keep it in, people will guess the portrait is of other famous people a few times to destroy Richard. Marty was very kind in ignoring Larrys role in the death of little Funk but ElVid completes the hat trick of ruined memorial services.

Brian was giving us some Walter White as he stood there listening to Larry refuse to give up his source on the Barney's Warehouse sale.

I just want to know who paid for the chair.

Please dont address Mrs. Templeton.

:D Is there such thing as patient-doctor confidentiality?

On 11/5/2017 at 9:25 AM, Marv's Neighbor said:

After the SNL concentration camp joke,, he may lose some followers.  Enthusiasm may now be curbed.

If you're that sensitive my guess is you don't watch CYE anyways.  I watched his monologue on youtube after hearing about the controversial joke and thought the concentration camp bit about picking up women was pretty funny.  You're not a good comedian unless you're willing to push the envelope.  The PC crowd is slowly ruining comedy.

These last three Curb episodes have been great.  He definitely hasn't lost his touch.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you're that sensitive my guess is you don't watch CYE anyways.  I watched his monologue on youtube after hearing about the controversial joke and thought the concentration camp bit about picking up women was pretty funny.  You're not a good comedian unless you're willing to push the envelope.  The PC crowd is slowly ruining comedy.

These last three Curb episodes have been great.  He definitely hasn't lost his touch.

The SNL ethos and crowd is extreme snowflake.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was watching an episode last night where he backed into someone car and left a note. The dude called him up and asked him why he didn't stay and wait around. 

Larry said you are not suppose to

The dude said, "Obviously you are a garbage person" 

LOL, I thought that was so funny 

i love curb, but holy crap, Larry David is a piece of crap of a human being if that is based on his actual life.  love the show, but i honestly despise his persona, which could be an indicator of how brilliant it is in terms of character development in a tv show.  JB Smoove is hilarious and I love Jeff Garlin

One critic way way back noted that he couldn’t believe the show Seinfeld was seriously offering viewers George Constanza as a regular character, it was unheard of in TV-land at that time.

That’s the genius of it.