Dion Dawkins Update

cover1

I think I speak for most of us when I say that we are pretty surprised that Dawkins hasn't beaten out Jordan Mills. I dont think it will be long, if there is one thing that this staff has made clear, competition will always be present. So if Dawkins continues to improve he will crack the lineup. But here is a breakdown of his preseason.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I speak for most of us when I say that we are pretty surprised that Dawkins hasn't beaten out Jordan Mills. I dont think it will be long, if there is one thing that this staff has made clear, competition will always be present. So if Dawkins continues to improve he will crack the lineup. But here is a breakdown of his preseason.

Great stuff as always, Erik. I think having to play both the left and right side hurt him in his battle for the starting RT position. But he'll be starting by midseason.

Cheers Erik. I thought his best game in pass pro was the Eagles game where he played left tackle. Does that match what you saw? I still feel as though he finds the foot movement in the vertical drops a little more "natural" at left tackle than at right. My guess throughout has been that he takes over for Mills after the bye.

Glens injury which forced Dion to take LT reps probably hurt Dion a little bit. Its hard enough for a rookie to come in and learn the NFL game but throw in being shuffled around in a couple different positions instead of getting constant reps at one position slows down the learning curve.

Cheers Erik. I thought his best game in pass pro was the Eagles game where he played left tackle. Does that match what you saw? I still feel as though he finds the foot movement in the vertical drops a little more "natural" at left tackle than at right. My guess throughout has been that he takes over for Mills after the bye.

i don't now, he looked (footwork) pretty awkward on the right side, so it may take awhile before it becomes a little more natural for him. He'd certainly improve the run game, but then they'd have to give him help in pass pro, which limits your options a bit. Hope he's working on it in his sleep...

Dude mauls the **** out of people in the run game, but has issues with footwork in pass protection. Playing guard maximizes your mauling the **** out of people and lessens the need to be a ballerina.

Yep, that's how I feel about him right now. Hopefully he can develop footwork so he doesn't appear lost on an island with the pass rusher. His body language in some of the clips by the OP(thank you for those) make him look tentative and as if he is forcing himself. The one clip where his drop foot is kicking back and touching is text book practice rep. It appears Like many players up to this point physical ability has carried them. At the NFL level he will need to improve technique. It can be done.

Glens injury which forced Dion to take LT reps probably hurt Dion a little bit. Its hard enough for a rookie to come in and learn the NFL game but throw in being shuffled around in a couple different positions instead of getting constant reps at one position slows down the learning curve.

Might've hurt him in the short term but I'm sure the coaches are pleased that he got the varied experience this offseason.

Thanks for this breakdown. OL men have an adjustment period but the talent is there, his pass pro needs a big step up this year. Hope someone sends him to offensive line school this offseason.

Might've hurt him in the short term but I'm sure the coaches are pleased that he got the varied experience this offseason.

Agree. Trial by fire in preseason is always a good thing.