So how much did Gillislee help the Pats*** last night?

eball

they're still a dime a dozen. he's not elite, average to above average in the right circumstances. I agree with what was posted earlier about misusing him. still, JAG.

I still stand by my assertion that the Bills called bb's bluff. He was trying to get the Bills to overpay for a backup rb. It is the only way it makes sense. It is so unpatriot like to pay someone that much money and give up a draft pick for limited production. They had extra salary cap and tried to put the screws to the Bills it just didn't work as they envisioned when the Bills didn't match.

Gillislee to me is an above average RB, he graded out excellently in all advanced metrics and led the league in yards per carry last year. I think the Pats wanted him since they didn't have a traditional between the tackles runner (And were not willing to pay Blount what he was asking.)

I think they fell in love with a player and were willing to give up a decent contract and pick for him. I do not think the Pats were bluffing, I think they overpaid because they knew that was the only way they could get him. Had they paid him closer to a backup then the Bills were more likely to match.

I think Gillislee does rush for 1000 yards (Although not much above 1000) and 10-12 TD's with a yards per carry of slightly above 4. That's solid production but nothing crazy.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillislee to me is an above average RB, he graded out excellently in all advanced metrics and led the league in yards per carry last year. I think the Pats wanted him since they didn't have a traditional between the tackles runner (And were not willing to pay Blount what he was asking.)

I think they fell in love with a player and were willing to give up a decent contract and pick for him. I do not think the Pats were bluffing, I think they overpaid because they knew that was the only way they could get him. Had they paid him closer to a backup then the Bills were more likely to match.

I think Gillislee does rush for 1000 yards (Although not much above 1000) and 10-12 TD's with a yards per carry of slightly above 4. That's solid production but nothing crazy.

I think the simpler explanation is that they saw him come up bigger than most in game changing situational plays. And likely not just in the box score but in how he actually managed them as a player.

Extending drives and scoring on the goal line are HUGE parts of the game that they always excel at and are a major factor in why they win at the obscene rate they do.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but Gillislee did not "fail" on those fourth and ones. Kareem Hunt, Blount, and whoever else would have failed on those plays too. They were bad play calls and the key o-linemen lost their battles. They are failed plays, not failed runs.

L. Bell, Latavius Murray, Mike Tolbert, DeMarco Murray, etc... all would likely have converted. Mike's a good player and can run inside and outside the tackles but he's not really a short yardage back, like not really at all. Actually Blount doesn't have a stellar conversion percentage either but its much better on fourth down than on third down conversions. I don't think the Pats have a short yardage back on their roster.

PFF certainly aren't the be-all and end-all but they weren't impressed with Gillislee's performance

PFF’s shockingly poor 49.5 grade for Gillislee shows how little value they place on getting into the end zone. Yes, the newcomer went full LeGarrette Blount with three touchdowns punched in at the goal line, but overall he ran for just 45 yards on 15 carries and got stuffed on both fourth down opportunities.

I still think Gillislee is better than our backup RB's.

I think KC played a much better game. In a tough stadium and with 4points behind in the 4th quarter they exploded with 3 TDs...That has nothing to do with Gilli.

Being only 4 points down in the 4th quarter had quite a bit to do with Gilli.

Ok, so in response to the "the 4th down stops were not Gillislee's fault" crowd I re-watched those plays this afternoon. Yes, KC had the line stacked but Gillislee just ran straight into the line both times. That's not good football.

Plus scoring 3 TDs on short yardage runs really reduces your ypc, especially when you only have 14 carries.

Huh?

4th and less-than-1 plays like that are unique and rare plays. KC literally had 10 men in the box on those two plays. That happens on about 1 out of every 35 plays on average (I'm guessing here, but I suspect I'm not far off). Judge him on normal football plays, not the man-pile plays where success occurs only when you can make it to the line of scrimmage and fall forward.

It lowered it by half a yard. Take out his TD carries and he averaged 3.5 ypc. RBs across the league have 1 yard running TDs. If you want to say that you can take away his one 16 yard run and he would have averaged 2.36 ypc.

I like Gilly a lot, but really he is just another guy. Maybe slightly better than just another guy. I didn't like they put a low round tender on him and I didn't like losing him, but at the end of the day its not a game changing loss.

Pats oline has problems. Looks like over coaching. All chop blocks and holds, a ton of penalties if the refs called the game straight.

KC really beat them bad. They had the better plays. A great inside slant game to get them to crowd the box, then went deep with Hill and RBs out the back field to take the top off.

Pats once again tried to game the system. Hitting the punter back to back trying to get a better return was really low brow. Same tea-bagging Kelce, and Hogan running down the field with his arm around the defender trying to call a penalty. They really did ruin the game. All the rating losses are on them.

Brady looks yellow, like his liver is failing.

You are spot on:

http://www.nflpenalties.com/game/kansas-city-chiefs-at-new-england-patriots-09-07-2017