FINALLY: NFL hires FULLTIME Refs

DrDawkinstein

Q. You know what NFL "part time" officials made last year? A. About $173,000. Q. What about the captains of the crew, the referees? A. Not clearly known, but thought to be on the order of $500,000 for the Ed Hochulis.

The idea that part time officials taking home meager pay was having a negative effect on the quality of officiating made some sense before the strike (and the replacement officials fiasco) caused the NFL to cave. But now? Is the new full-timer going to spend 30 hours a week watching video? Will that really make him better? Or 30 hours a week on company time working out? I think Mr. Hochuli already does way too many curls. This issue should've died a long time ago. The NFL season covers 17 (mostly) Sundays. What will the full timers be doing the other 35 weekends of the year?

Q. You know what NFL "part time" officials made last year? A. About $173,000. Q. What about the captains of the crew, the referees? A. Not clearly known, but thought to be on the order of $500,000 for the Ed Hochulis.

The idea that part time officials taking home meager pay was having a negative effect on the quality of officiating made some sense before the strike (and the replacement officials fiasco) caused the NFL to cave. But now? Is the new full-timer going to spend 30 hours a week watching video? Will that really make him better? Or 30 hours a week on company time working out? I think Mr. Hochuli already does way too many curls. This issue should've died a long time ago. The NFL season covers 17 (mostly) Sundays. What will the full timers be doing the other 35 weekends of the year?

What do players do the other 35 weeks of the off season?

I'd like to see how they'll fill a 40 hour week.

likely salaried employees. As my boss says, when you're salaried, if you work a minute you worked a day. Granted he usually puts in 11 hour days.

Mandatory meeting and travel will cover probably 20 hours of the week. Throw in required professional development, non football related courses and game day (which is likely 8-10 hours) and you get your 40 easy.

What will the excuse be when nothing changes?

I agree - will not change anything. What will create change is to fire any ref in the bottom 10 rankings each year.

I doubt there will be any noticable difference, or possibly things could get worse. More overly officious jerking.

Change doesnt happen overnight. But you have to start somewhere. It's a baby step, but at least it is a step, in the right direction.

This has little or nothing to do about money.

The refs may have made that argument when they were trying to get higher wages out of the multi-billion dollar employer. But that isn't the argument we've been making over the years.

Look, the NFL can afford to pay these guys and make them full time employees. It's not your money, so what do you care?

While they might not have 30-40 hours a week to do during the offseason, there are still things they can be doing. Meeting weekly as an entire officiating department to discuss these vague/complicated rules, and get on the same page as to how/when they call things. Get everyone on the same page to create better consistency. Meet with the teams FOs/Coaches on a regular basis to discuss rules, pass that consistency down, etc.

There are plenty of improvements that having these guys around, and dedicated solely to football, will help speed up.

I don't think being a full time official means these guys will be working all day watching film, studying the rules and how to make the game better for officials. I don't see anything changing.

it's all for appearance. I don't see how this changes anything