If the Colts really suck, would they trade Luck to Buffalo?

BADOLBILZ

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we do this should we also call the Mets and offer to be nice and pay Bibby Bonilla's salary every year?

How about solving our problems instead of taking on those of others?

We already have the NFL's version of Bobby Bonilla.......he wears #99.

If the Colts trade Luck they eat the signing bonus.......he has big roster bonuses but the signing bonus appear to be all the guarantees.

After that his unguaranteed cap hits are like $19M $20M and $22M from 2018-2020..........which is way below market if he plays near his ability.

Very trade-able contract if the Colts are looking to re-build and willing to take the one year cap hit.

I'm actually envisioning a scenario where the Bills are where they usually are......a no man's land on the board.......a place that actually requires a good scouting decision on a young QB.........so I am figuring the top 3 picks are out of the Bills reach.

Like picking between 8-11 with their pick and the Chiefs pick around 24.

Even with those two and the 2019 year #1 and a bunch of other picks teams like Cleveland or NYJ ain't trading that pick to you if there is a stud QB there.

Is the 4th QB in this draft going to be as good as Andrew Luck? Could be but the odds are really against that.

Then factor in that this will still be an old team........barring ANOTHER huge roster turnover it's going to be a veteran team that could compete with a stud QB and a few more pieces(and health :sick: ).

I think I know what they are doing with this re-build........but it's unorthodox to say the least........so swinging a trade for a HOF talent who fell off the tracks a bit would not surprise me.

I can actually see McDermott staying married to veteran players.......wouldn't surprise me in the least.........and with what Belichick is doing with vets instead of young players it's at least an idea that's technically not entirely without merit.

Luck seems like an ultimate McDermott kinda' guy too.

Josh Rosen? Coolguy Darnold? Not so much. :flirt:

I do think getting Luck is a long shot, and I assume that it depends on how bad the Colts are this year.

If Andrew Luck is significantly injured this season, and it becomes obvious that he needs to be put on ice, even in their lackluster division the Colts would probably finish close to the bottom. If the Bills were to offer their first, Kansas's 1st and a 2018 first? If you want a serious rebuild, there are worse places to start.

The focus on which team will finish DFL in the NFL this year has focused mostly on the Jets.

But is there a WORSE roster than the Colts if Andrew Luck is not on the field?

Suppose Luck can't come back early enough from his shoulder surgery to help the team compete for a playoff spot..........would they shelve him early and go for that #1 overall pick again?

And in a scenario where the first 2-3 picks were considered franchise QB's...........would the Colts then trade Andrew Luck to get a pile of draft picks and long term cap saving to try to re-build their roster and use that #1 pick on Darnold or Chosen Rosen?

Just a thought I haven't seen kicked around.....but if the Bills play Jauron-ball and land outside of the top 5 picks........it's not really THAT unrealistic of a scenario that they could be a good trade partner with Indy in a situation where other QB-desperate teams like the Jets and Browns get their QB satisfaction at the top of the draft.

Long shot but something to think about.........especially because there is just a very weird feel around what is going on in Indy.........it feels strangely like Manning-neck 2.0.

And if you are the Colts.......and your tank job falls short of completion.......your consolation prize is high picks to pair up with Luck in an increasingly competitive division.

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

More likely in that scenario that the Colts keep Luck and trade the top pick for a bonanza of draft picks, ala the RGIII trade.

Which is why if I were Indy, I put Lucks ass on IR for the full season. Take the crap season and parlay it into draft picks to finally put talent around their franchise QB. Let his shoulder fully heal. If by week 6 he is 100% then keep developing his shoulder, body, mind so he can hit OTA's ready to kick ass.

Stranger things have happened.

Like Drew Bledsoe.........an unquestioned, extremely popular, durable, mid-aged franchise QB with a SB appearance in his recent past and just recently rewarded with a mega-contract........being dealt to a division rival.

Nobody in NE was selling Bledsoe down the road until Brady actually won the SB.

A lot can happen between now and April.

It may not be the Bills but I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts deal him if they get another young stud QB lined up.

Yes, but Tolzien is no Tom Brady. That changes everything.

The focus on which team will finish DFL in the NFL this year has focused mostly on the Jets.

But is there a WORSE roster than the Colts if Andrew Luck is not on the field?

Suppose Luck can't come back early enough from his shoulder surgery to help the team compete for a playoff spot..........would they shelve him early and go for that #1 overall pick again?

And in a scenario where the first 2-3 picks were considered franchise QB's...........would the Colts then trade Andrew Luck to get a pile of draft picks and long term cap saving to try to re-build their roster and use that #1 pick on Darnold or Chosen Rosen?

Just a thought I haven't seen kicked around.....but if the Bills play Jauron-ball and land outside of the top 5 picks........it's not really THAT unrealistic of a scenario that they could be a good trade partner with Indy in a situation where other QB-desperate teams like the Jets and Browns get their QB satisfaction at the top of the draft.

Long shot but something to think about.........especially because there is just a very weird feel around what is going on in Indy.........it feels strangely like Manning-neck 2.0.

And if you are the Colts.......and your tank job falls short of completion.......your consolation prize is high picks to pair up with Luck in an increasingly competitive division.

Agree 100% Badol. If Luck is out the Colts are the worst team in the NFL. They suck just about everywhere.

I have also been saying for a few weeks them landing in the top 5 of the draft and being a trade partner for the Bills moving up in the draft is a very likely scenario if the Luck injury is serious. Whether they would flip that script and trade us Luck rather than their pick and take a Darnold or a Rosen or whoever....... I feel like that is still a long shot at this point but who nows how things will look in May?

Edited by GunnerBill

The only way it would happen is if Luck were to turn on the team - like if, for example, the Colts were to mis-manage his injury and force him back out on the field too early... (sound familiar?) But I can't see Irsay being the one to give up on Luck - among other things, they've made marketing investments in Luck and Irsay strikes me as the type of dipschidt owner who would prioritize that sort of thing.

Apparently I think this is a much more interesting and potentially realistic question than a lot of people here do.

First the cap hit is a huge factor, but if the Colts decide to go very young it's a one time penalty.

That being said, if they put Luck on the block (and if they have any long term injury concerns it may be a prudent move), I would have to believe it would make the RG3 trade look like child's play. Could they get 5 1st round picks for him? More? There would be significant cost savings over the next few years and Rosen or Darnold are 7 years younger than Luck.

It would be a shocking move, but not exactly unprecedented (the Chargers and Pats moving on from Brees and Bledsoe are similar, but slightly different, scenarios), but I wouldn't call it a laughable idea by any measure.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I'm gonna wait on that to see how he plays this year. I'm still just not quite sold on him as a franchise guy and I can't put my finger on what it is.

It's the poor offensive line, lack of a running game, and horrid talent around him generally.

There is no better QB in the league (except maybe Rodgers) at extending a play, keeping his eyes downfield and waiting for WRs to get open late in the route.

Unfortunately they have failed to build around his talents. He's absolutely a franchise guy. If I were Luck I'd be furious at the front office for making him take such an unnecessary beating over the years, with no end in sight.

It's the poor offensive line, lack of a running game, and horrid talent around him generally.

There is no better QB in the league (except maybe Rodgers) at extending a play, keeping his eyes downfield and waiting for WRs to get open late in the route.

Unfortunately they have failed to build around his talents. He's absolutely a franchise guy. If I were Luck I'd be furious at the front office for making him take such an unnecessary beating over the years, with no end in sight.

I was on about Cousins not Luck. Luck is certainly a franchise guy on a dreadfully built team.