Syracuse Hoops 2017-2018

inkman

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Sidibe needed to redshirt if we can only go 5 minutes per game. Hopefully they are just easing him back.

I’m no Dunkirk Don, but I heard that Chukwu staying out of foul trouble kept Sidibe on the bench last night.  They are easing him back.  This is good news for Syracuse.

17 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Well, that was awful.

Don’t really get how they got so clobbered on the glass too. A real fitting way to end the game. 

Effort was horrible down the stretch.  The way Howard and Dolezaj gave up on that final play makes me want to puke.  I’m still speechless.

Great to see my Hoos beat Boeheim's zone again.

UVA is the best defensive team in the country, but always falls short in the tourney against physical teams, and usually has scoring issues.

This year they have two more reliable three shooters, but that usually doesn't work nearly as well on the road.

Great win.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Great to see my Hoos beat Boeheim's zone again.

UVA is the best defensive team in the country, but always falls short in the tourney against physical teams, and usually has scoring issues.

This year they have two more reliable three shooters, but that usually doesn't work nearly as well on the road.

Great win.

UVA is a solid team and I really Love Bennett. That said, his teams are not build to make serious runs in March and this team is no different. Reminds me of the Pitt teams under Jamie Dixon. Great defense, physical, and some solid team offensive play. But you need some star scorers who can carry the team when needed and make big shots. 

22 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

UVA is a solid team and I really Love Bennett. That said, his teams are not build to make serious runs in March and this team is no different. Reminds me of the Pitt teams under Jamie Dixon. Great defense, physical, and some solid team offensive play. But you need some star scorers who can carry the team when needed and make big shots. 

Things change slowly. Virginia has been a tough place to recruit national level high school scorers.

Very high and uncompromising academic standards.

A lot of emphasis on defense. I've watched them practice a couple times and his system is ingrained before they ever see the court in a game.

Red shirt everybody.

But, little by little they are getting better shooters, and NBA success is aiding recruiting. Malcolm Brogdan being named the steal of the draft and NBA rookie of the year was a positive thing, but he's a special kid. 

Anyway, the ACC is tough schedule and they always go into mid March a little tired and without great depth, and it catches up to them.

21 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Things change slowly. Virginia has been a tough place to recruit national level high school scorers.

A lot of emphasis on defense. I've watched them practice a couple times and his system is ingrained before they ever see the court in a game.

Red shirt everybody.

But, little by little they are getting better shooters, and NBA success is aiding recruiting. Malcolm Brogdan being named the steal of the draft and NBA rookie of the year was a positive thing, but he's a special kid. 

Anyway, the ACC is tough schedule and they always go into mid March a little tired and without great depth, and it catches up to them.

The reality of college hoops (sadly) is that you need to recruit a few one-and-doners each year. Then you hope maybe one of them stays for two years.  

Heck, they almost folded last night...if Syracuse had battle and another 30-45 seconds, it could have been another epic UVA collapse.  UVA defense is second to none, but you can't sustain a winning team by shooting from a couple feet beyond the NBA 3 point line.....wasn't it under 5 minutes when UVA had their first non 3-point basket of the second half?  It's nice to have that weapon, but that can't be your main offensive weapon if you want to get to the next level.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

13 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Heck, they almost folded last night...if Syracuse had battle and another 30-45 seconds, it could have been another epic UVA collapse.  UVA defense is second to none, but you can't sustain a winning team by shooting from a couple feet beyond the NBA 3 point line.....wasn't it under 5 minutes when UVA had their first non 3-point basket of the second half?  It's nice to have that weapon, but that can't be your main offensive weapon if you want to get to the next level.

It generally isn't their only weapon.

They play pretty decent half course offense as well.

Syracuse plays exceptional zone. While they are certainly not an offensive powerhouse, they are an extremely successful program since Bennett, and they aren't going to go out and get someone they don't feel would fit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Red shirt everybody.

Virginia has been a GREAT team for this entire decade.

Little by little???  Oh please....

The team that plays like my JV coach wants a team to play... until they run into a Northwestern State or Alabama-Birminham in the big dance....

Edited by row_33

Tough loss to Florida state. They played with a lot of heart, especially battle. But you can’t have 1 guy on offense and nobody else. It was almost comical in the OTs. Battle was triple teamed. None of the other guys posed any offensive threat whatsoever. Dolezaj missing wide open lay-ups, Washington bricking 10-foot jumpers, brisett missing a wide open 3 to win it. It’s embarrassing at a certain point.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Tough loss to Florida state. They played with a lot of heart, especially battle. But you can’t have 1 guy on offense and nobody else. It was almost comical in the OTs. Battle was triple teamed. None of the other guys posed any offensive threat whatsoever. Dolezaj missing wide open lay-ups, Washington bricking 10-foot jumpers, brisett missing a wide open 3 to win it. It’s embarrassing at a certain point.

I'm sad

This move to the acc has been annoying as a fan.  Can't catch games on tv and then 9 pm starts.

Unfortunately that means I can't use my tickets to tonights game.  So if there is an SU fan among us who would like 2 free tickets to tonight's game let me know.  I can email them to you or have them waiting at will call for you.  Quote this post if you are interested so I get a notification. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, section122 said:

This move to the acc has been annoying as a fan.  Can't catch games on tv and then 9 pm starts.

Unfortunately that means I can't use my tickets to tonights game.  So if there is an SU fan among us who would like 2 free tickets to tonight's game let me know.  I can email them to you or have them waiting at will call for you.  Quote this post if you are interested so I get a notification. :thumbsup:

Damn you! If you gave me 24 hours I woulda been all over man!

must win vs Pitt. Hope CUSE steps it up

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Damn you! If you gave me 24 hours I woulda been all over man!

must win vs Pitt. Hope CUSE steps it up

I have tried everything to give these away! Lol I even called the Ronald McDonald house to offer them.  Even they said it started too late for them! :lol:

2018 commit Darius Bazley selected to McDonalds All-American game.  Can’t wait to see him in action.  Going to be a beast for us next year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2018/01/syracuse_recruit_darius_bazley_named_to_mcdonalds_all-american_game.amp

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

2018 commit Darius Bazley selected to McDonalds All-American game.  Can’t wait to see him in action.  Going to be a beast for us next year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2018/01/syracuse_recruit_darius_bazley_named_to_mcdonalds_all-american_game.amp

Absolutely a stud

wouldnt be surprised to see him end the season a top 5 recruit

there is nobody on the high school circuits who are 6'9, can dribble, pass, shoot and rebound at a high level... except him

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Really need Battle to come back to play alongside this kid.

21 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Really need Battle to come back to play alongside this kid.

I am seriously jacked up about this ‘18 class. Bazley is unreal.  A 6’9” guy who can shoot, handle like a PG, and run the floor with the best of them playing the 3.  

Jalen Carey is a very good all around combo guard.  I think he’s currently like 53rd ranked recruit (and many think very underrated). Aggressive, slasher type guard who can shoot the lights out.  If Battle does return, I don’t know how JB can keep this kid off the court.  Watch out Howard.

Buddy Boeheim is reputed to be a tremendous shooter.  I don’t know how they find him time though with transfer Elijah Hughes eligible to play and Howard Washington developing.  Maybe a redshirt year for Buddy?

If Battle returns, I envision the starting line-up being Howard, Battle, Bazley, Brissett, and Chukwu.  With Jalen Carey first off the bench for the guards, and Moyer, Dolezaj and Sidibe seeing minutes in the frontcourt.

That’s silly depth.

18 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Nice win last night. But hard to get super excited since pitt is terrible and Kevin Stallings has singlehandedly run that program into the ground. 

We’ll take it.  As much as I’ve grown to dislike Pitt, it is sad what has happened to that program since Jamie Dixon left for TCU.  

It doesn’t get much easier for the rest of January, although we do have a good stretch of road games.  Hopefully Autry and Chukwu can take some of that foul shooting practice time and practice dunking the basketball.  Nice game for Howard last night.

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

I was so happy that Jamie Dixon left

Such a grease ball...

24 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Dixon was a zone killer. He had that figured out so well. Stallings is totally clueless. 

Chuku is seriously maddening. I did like JB’s comments: he needs to play with more of an edge. 

Yea Boeheim flat out called him soft lol

He is getting better daily so hopefully he can develop a mean streak. He needs to attack the rim harder

hes 7'2 for goodness sake!