Syracuse Hoops 2017-2018

inkman

if we are going to lose recruits, at least we are losing them to Hop. I am glad he is having success like this so far.

Eh, I'm glad Hop is doing well, but I think the Hameir Wright recruitment soured me just a little bit on Hop. He recruited Wright (Albany native) for a couple years while still at Syracuse, and then used that relationship (and likely the perceived discord within the SU program) to lure the uber talented SF to UWashington. Sour grapes perhaps, but I thought Hop should have backed off of Wright out of respect for Red Autry who was also heavily involved in his recruitment. Plenty of solid recruits out there. Personally, I feel as though he should have left Hameir Wright alone. I have not problem with Hop landing Nate Roberts, BTW.

Eh, I'm glad Hop is doing well, but I think the Hameir Wright recruitment soured me just a little bit on Hop. He recruited Wright (Albany native) for a couple years while still at Syracuse, and then used that relationship (and likely the perceived discord within the SU program) to lure the uber talented SF to UWashington. Sour grapes perhaps, but I thought Hop should have backed off of Wright out of respect for Red Autry who was also heavily involved in his recruitment. Plenty of solid recruits out there. Personally, I feel as though he should have left Hameir Wright alone. I have not problem with Hop landing Nate Roberts, BTW.

I could be way off base, but it Wouldn't surprise me if Hop made sure JB et al was cool with the continued pursuit. I know I would have done that if I were in his shoes-- don't want to burn bridges with your mentor.

I could be way off base, but it Wouldn't surprise me if Hop made sure JB et al was cool with the continued pursuit. I know I would have done that if I were in his shoes-- don't want to burn bridges with your mentor.

Possibly. I suppose all is fair in love, war and college basketball recruiting though. Hop also recruited and offered '18 SF Frankie Policelli (New Hartford, NY) while at Syracuse, and offered him a scholly pretty much as soon as he got to UW. Again, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with this. Just kinda rubs me the wrong way. What is JB and company supposed to say? "No, Hop, please don't recruit players you recruited while you were at Syracuse." I don't think that would happen.

• 3 weeks later...

It's official who is New York State's team this year!

DODJlqdWkAEMSfz.jpg

The United States of College Basketball: 2017-18

The road to the Final Four requires a map. As always, CBS Sports is providing college basketball fans with a nationwide look at every state (except Alaska, which does not have a Division I team; Washington, D.C. is represented, though) and which program has bragging rights for the season ahead.

This is not a list of the 50 best teams this season. We're merely talking geographical dominance. Who owns the territory.

• New York

1. St. Bonaventure Bonnies 

For the first time since the Bob Lanier days, the Bonnies have the best team of the 22 that call New York state home. That's due in large part to the outstanding backcourt of Matt Mobley and Jaylen Adams (pictured). Bona's looking to improve from a 20-win season in 2016-17, and it's probably going to be the No. 2 team in the A-10. 

The rest 
    2. St. John's 
    3. Syracuse 
    4. Iona. 
    5. Buffalo 
    6. Manhattan 
    7. Hofstra
    8. Albany 
    9. Niagara 
    10. Wagner 
    11. Colgate 
    12. Stony Brook 
    13. Fordham 
    14. Cornell. 
    15. Columbia
    16. Siena 
    17. Canisius 
    18. Army 
    19. LIU Brooklyn 
    20. Marist 
    21. Binghamton 
    22. St. Francis (NY)

CREDIT: USATSI

On 11/7/2017 at 4:12 PM, bbb said:

DODJlqdWkAEMSfz.jpg

The road to the Final Four requires a map. As always, CBS Sports is providing college basketball fans with a nationwide look at every state (except Alaska, which does not have a Division I team; Washington, D.C. is represented, though) and which program has bragging rights for the season ahead.

This is not a list of the 50 best teams this season. We're merely talking geographical dominance. Who owns the territory.

• New York

For the first time since the Bob Lanier days, the Bonnies have the best team of the 22 that call New York state home. That's due in large part to the outstanding backcourt of Matt Mobley and Jaylen Adams (pictured). Bona's looking to improve from a 20-win season in 2016-17, and it's probably going to be the No. 2 team in the A-10. 

The rest 
    2. St. John's 
    3. Syracuse 
    4. Iona. 
    5. Buffalo 
    6. Manhattan 
    7. Hofstra
    8. Albany 
    9. Niagara 
    10. Wagner 
    11. Colgate 
    12. Stony Brook 
    13. Fordham 
    14. Cornell. 
    15. Columbia
    16. Siena 
    17. Canisius 
    18. Army 
    19. LIU Brooklyn 
    20. Marist 
    21. Binghamton 
    22. St. Francis (NY)

Oops!  Maybe Niagara is #1 now?  

Nice win tonight over a feisty and talented Iona squad.  Once again Tyus Battle dominates.  He really is going to be something special this year, and I’d be surprised to see him return for his junior year.  Nice showings by Howard, Brissett and Dolezaj.  Dolezaj just has “it.”   He will be a force once he develops physically.  Love the twin towers of Chukwu and Sidibe in the middle.  Chukwu with 10 boards.  I’m not overly optimistic, but I’m feeling better about this team.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:12 PM, bbb said:

DODJlqdWkAEMSfz.jpg

• New York

The rest 
    2. St. John's 
    3. Syracuse 
    4. Iona. 
    5. Buffalo 
    6. Manhattan 
    7. Hofstra
    8. Albany 
    9. Niagara 
    10. Wagner 
    11. Colgate 
    12. Stony Brook 
    13. Fordham 
    14. Cornell. 
    15. Columbia
    16. Siena 
    17. Canisius 
    18. Army 
    19. LIU Brooklyn 
    20. Marist 
    21. Binghamton 
    22. St. Francis (NY)

I still believe if Lanier didn't get hurt, the Bonnies take the title.  Gantt was on fire even without Lanier.

34 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I still believe if Lanier didn't get hurt, the Bonnies take the title.  Gantt was on fire even without Lanier.

Lanier would have killed Steve Patterson, who was the UCLA center those two years in between Alcindor and Walton. 

12 minutes ago, bbb said:

Lanier would have killed Steve Patterson, who was the UCLA center those two years in between Alcindor and Walton. 

After I posted I did a seach to make sure I had Gantt's name spelled correctly.  Came upon this interesting link.  I appears Wooden was also concerned.

http://thebonablog.com/2016/06/12/kalbaugh-still-pained-by-end-of-1970-season/

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Nice win tonight over a feisty and talented Iona squad.  Once again Tyus Battle dominates.  He really is going to be something special this year, and I’d be surprised to see him return for his junior year.  Nice showings by Howard, Brissett and Dolezaj.  Dolezaj just has “it.”   He will be a force once he develops physically.  Love the twin towers of Chukwu and Sidibe in the middle.  Chukwu with 10 boards.  I’m not overly optimistic, but I’m feeling better about this team.

So many missed layups.  Chukwu is big but that is about it.  Tyus caught fire out there though and it was something I hadn't seen in a while from a Cuse player.  Even Howard got in the act.  I like Dolezaj he is a hustler.  Still not high hopes for this team after watching them struggle to put away Iona.  They should be fun to watch though and I think they will win a couple that they shouldn't this year.

Weird game overall though.  Even though SU was never really ahead by more than 5-10 points it always felt like they were in control and never in danger of losing the game.

7 hours ago, section122 said:

So many missed layups.  Chukwu is big but that is about it.  Tyus caught fire out there though and it was something I hadn't seen in a while from a Cuse player.  Even Howard got in the act.  I like Dolezaj he is a hustler.  Still not high hopes for this team after watching them struggle to put away Iona.  They should be fun to watch though and I think they will win a couple that they shouldn't this year.

Weird game overall though.  Even though SU was never really ahead by more than 5-10 points it always felt like they were in control and never in danger of losing the game.

Chukwu has clearly improved from last year, IMO.  His footwork and defense are markedly better.  Sidibe is a frosh, and is clearly our best center already.   I think he will be a good one.  Actually reminds me of a young Rick Jackson.  Too bad Bernie isn’t around to coach up the big fellas :D

15 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Chukwu has clearly improved from last year, IMO.  His footwork and defense are markedly better.  Sidibe is a frosh, and is clearly our best center already.   I think he will be a good one.  Actually reminds me of a young Rick Jackson.  Too bad Bernie isn’t around to coach up the big fellas :D

Sidibe looked good.  O'shay though what is up with that do lol.  It was a treat watching Battle take over though.  His confidence was sky high.  This team is scrappy and young.  Will be interesting to watch them grow.  Chukwu is improved but dude still needs to eat a cheeseburger lol.

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I haven't been able to see these first few games (sheer laziness and aversion to "watch espn" app).but from what I have read about dolezaj, he seems like a really great addition.  seems like we have a few real scrappers-- who can rebound and play D. 

Dolezaj can play some impressive D for a youngster. He's long and has great instincts so perfect for the 2-3 zone

he is also great at the top of the key as a passer. He opens a lot up when he spreads the ball from the key