NFL suspends Vontaze Burfict 5 games (update: 3 games)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@rapsheet

Vontaze Burficts suspension is based on1: Him hitting with his shoulder & helmet to Anthony Shermans head & neck area. 2: Repeat offender

.@NFL point of emphasis added WR running a route (like Sherman) to give him defensive player protection. Head & neck hits are personal fouls

So now WR running a route gets free release in 5 yards? What's next skirts on WRs? I mean I know burficts history but this is just silly.

Exactly the same hit on AW by Landry...what did he get other than a slap on the hand.

Landry launched himself/ left his feet. Much worse

And it was in the 5 yard zone , and the QB let go of the ball. Looks like he thought his guy was getting the ball, squared up closed his eyes and hit him. Looks legal to me. If it's helmet to helmet or a high hit then ok, but seems harsh to me

The problem is that the ball was still in the air when Burfict hit him. I would agree that it wasn't a dirty hit (mean - yes, vicious - yes, but not dirty), though it should still have been a penalty at that point of the play.

Burfict went shoulder-to-chest. It does look like their helmets made a little contact (which is unclear with the camera angle), but, even if there was incidental contact, it was clear that Burfict was not targeting the head or neck.

Edited by Koko78

I still remember watching Burfict play for ASU against USC some years ago. At the time he was a virtual unknown, but he stood out on the telecast as being a totally CRAZY person running around hitting people at will. I recall thinking at the time "Did they just let a convict, or mental patient, on the field?" I'm not sure that he's a bad person....but I am totally sure that he is completely out of his mind when he steps on the field. Someone has to sit him down before he kills someone. And I guess the League just did!

The problem is that the ball was still in the air when Burfict hit him. I would agree that it wasn't a dirty hit (mean - yes, vicious - yes, but not dirty), though it should still have been a penalty at that point of the play.

Burfict went shoulder-to-chest. It does look like their helmets made a little contact (which is unclear with the camera angle), but, even if there was incidental contact, it was clear that Burfict was not targeting the head or neck.

Yeah I get that. I really think he was certain his man was getting the pass. Then I think he sized up the hit and closed his eyes in a split second. There may have been some helmet to helmet but I agree it wasn't dirty.

So am I to understand that this Burfict fellow consistently plays the game in a most underhanded fashion?

It's worth tuning in to Bengals games for, but just for their D.

With Pacman he was the best badass duo since Tatum and Atkinson.