Cap wise could a Dareus/Osweiler trade be worked out?

Tipster19

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go listen to Dareus' interview about what happened. Go ahead, pin your hopes on this idiot. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when the next time he screws up. This guy is immature and just doesn't get, he doesn't take responsibility or have any kind remorse for his behavior. Love his play, hate his attitude.

Go listen to Dareus' interview about what happened. Go ahead, pin your hopes on this idiot. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when the next time he screws up. This guy is immature and just doesn't get, he doesn't take responsibility or have any kind remorse for his behavior. Love his play, hate his attitude.

Yeah, but a trade for Osweiler? Ludicrous idea.

For what it's worth, trade cap hits are listed wrong on the cap sites. They are figured early on as though the player would be traded earlier in the off season, and then aren't updated since there's so many players and so few of them traded at this point.

Cap acceleration for prorated bonuses are figured the same way for a trade as they are for a player who's cut. That means the cap acceleration for a trade happening now would be treated just like a post June 1st cut (but without the cap hit for the guaranteed salary).

MD currently has $20.6 mil of prorated bonuses remaining. Contrary to popular belief, with the post June 1st transaction that number isn't automatically split evenly between this year and next year. The process for post June 1st acceleration calls for the current season's proration to remain as is, then the remaining years to be accelerated into the following year.

That would leave MD's dead cap figures as follows-

2017 - $6.65 mil dead cap ($6.4 mil + $250,000 already paid as workout bonus -- $9.45 mil less than his current cap charge)

2018 - $14.20 million dead cap ($2.08 mil less than his 2018 cap charge)

Any team trading for him would inherit -

2017 - $9.75 mil salary (fully guaranteed)

2018 - $9.925 mil salary ($7.35 mil guaranteed) + $250,000 workout bonus

2019 - 2021 - Salaries, roster and workout bonuses stay the same but he can be cut after 2018 with no dead cap.

Now you know.

For what it's worth, trade cap hits are listed wrong on the cap sites. They are figured early on as though the player would be traded earlier in the off season, and then aren't updated since there's so many players and so few of them traded at this point.

Cap acceleration for prorated bonuses are figured the same way for a trade as they are for a player who's cut. That means the cap acceleration for a trade happening now would be treated just like a post June 1st cut (but without the cap hit for the guaranteed salary).

MD currently has $20.6 mil of prorated bonuses remaining. Contrary to popular belief, with the post June 1st transaction that number isn't automatically split evenly between this year and next year. The process for post June 1st acceleration calls for the current season's proration to remain as is, then the remaining years to be accelerated into the following year.

That would leave MD's dead cap figures as follows-

2017 - $6.65 mil dead cap ($6.4 mil + $250,000 already paid as workout bonus -- $9.45 mil less than his current cap charge)

2018 - $14.20 million dead cap ($2.08 mil less than his 2018 cap charge)

Any team trading for him would inherit -

2017 - $9.75 mil salary (fully guaranteed)

2018 - $9.925 mil salary ($7.35 mil guaranteed) + $250,000 workout bonus

2019 - 2021 - Salaries, roster and workout bonuses stay the same but he can be cut after 2018 with no dead cap.

Now you know.

Thank you! Finally somebody answered the question! Let me be clear, my main point is this isn't about the players, not even really about the dollars but more so about the money for the slotted positions involved and the dependability of the person. If these massive contracts can be exchanged then maybe it makes more sense to pay a QB big money vs a DT, especially a DT that is 1 strike away from a big time suspension and doesn't show any kind of growth from his past actions. Who knows, maybe Osweiler could improve enough to where he could be more marketable, especially being under an OC/scheme that he has some familiarity with. As far as Dareus goes I just think that sooner or later we are gonna take it on the chin with this guy and end up with nothing. Keep in mind, this regime has no responsibility with Dareus and his contract, this can and will be all blamed on Whaley.

Yeah, but a trade for Osweiler? Ludicrous idea.

Thank you. I wouldn't give a bag of used tape for Osweiler. It's ridiculous to even suggest giving away Dareus for the dumpster fire that is Brock Osweiler and the OP is getting defensive because people are calling him out for yet another hot take which may be the most lame to date. This board has gone off the rails.

Thank you! Finally somebody answered the question! Let me be clear, my main point is this isn't about the players, not even really about the dollars but more so about the money for the slotted positions involved and the dependability of the person. If these massive contracts can be exchanged then maybe it makes more sense to pay a QB big money vs a DT, especially a DT that is 1 strike away from a big time suspension and doesn't show any kind of growth from his past actions. Who knows, maybe Osweiler could improve enough to where he could be more marketable, especially being under an OC/scheme that he has some familiarity with. As far as Dareus goes I just think that sooner or later we are gonna take it on the chin with this guy and end up with nothing. Keep in mind, this regime has no responsibility with Dareus and his contract, this can and will be all blamed on Whaley.

I didn't say we could swap contracts. That's just the figures for MD's dead money. Taking on Osweiler would add $16 mil this year and $18 mil next year on top of those dead cap figures. That would be a total cap charge of $22.65 mil this year and $32.2 mil next year.

I looked up their contract details but it's so detailed I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. If so Cleveland would have to cough up other compensation but I'm wondering if the numbers could be worked out if so.

As dumb as meatball is there is no way I'm trading him for Oz.

Oh boy! We have a new rival to Mario for Skelton.

I knew I would get out of that some day. :D

I thought I was crazy. OP is on wayy too many mind altering substances. Dump a bonafide superstar DL talent for a bag of trash that cant beat out a rookie for the starting job after getting his shot and playing under Peyton Manning for years? HELLLLLL NO!

Thank you. I wouldn't give a bag of used tape for Osweiler. It's ridiculous to even suggest giving away Dareus for the dumpster fire that is Brock Osweiler and the OP is getting defensive because people are calling him out for yet another hot take which may be the most lame to date. This board has gone off the rails.

I didn't mean to sound like I was getting defensive, I was only trying to explain the basis of the concept. Osweiler was only a small part of it, it was more of getting out from under Dareus' contract if they could. Well, I said enough and I see that I'm not welcomed around here anymore. I guess it's time just to be a spectator from now on.