Hurricane Thread --

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a tough one.

For anyone with a more than causal interest in weather, here is a link I used in my career, which shows winds at various altitudes around the world.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-103.58,13.13,302

I was primarily interested in the 250 hectopaschal chart, which was about 34,000', and the best indicator of the jetstream.

In this case, it really points out the counterclockwise flow around this intense low.

The default is surface winds, but you can change the altitude by selecting the "earth" thing at the bottom left, and then changing height, expressed in hPa.

If you look at the 850 hPa option, (about 5000'), you can really see the energy it is pulling in.

Additionally, you can zoom in and rotate the earth to anywhere you want.

Pretty cool site, but it really shows this Harvey hurricane.

Edited by sherpa

Why is this thread on PPP?

Obsess much?

Anything can be talked about here without offending anybody.

Economic, political, environmental timebomb?

Maybe fuel prices will go up, etc... Gonna hit the heart of the petrol-chem industrial complex.

It's not a chick hurricane so it won't be that bad. Hopefully.

Andrew is that you... Oh yeah, probably not born yet... Carry on.

Andrew is that you... Oh yeah, probably not born yet... Carry on.

Well recent history would tell us that chick hurricane terrorists kill way more Americans than dude hurricane terrorists :D

125 mile an hour wind! Wonder if my house could take that? At what speed does wind destroy houses?

Depends how the house is built. Normal gable roof up north would be ruined... That's put hip and roofs in down there. Then there is the construction, hurricane straps, etc... 125 is getting up there.

I wonder what this Will do to our shipping @ work... We get a lot of tonnage that moves between the BP refinery in Indiana in Lake Michigan and the Gulf Coast. This will put a crimp in the petro-chem push... Prices will surely rise. They gotta be shutting down and shuttering up. Will the effects be far reaching?

Looks like Harvey just went category 4. They're predicting several feet of rain in the Austin area between now and Tuesday night.

Wow... Stay safe. When is landfall? Okay, you probably in position to not reply... Try and stay dry and outta harms way.

See Tibs: You planned well placing it here. No messing around. You get an attaboy! ;-)