Soccer 2017-2018 season

row_33

Might as well get it going for the few of us.

A few weeks into the English season have nothing dramatic yet, stars sat out the first week in Spain, elimination games this week for Champions League and WCQ games next week.

Balotelli is playing for Nice. Name of the year so far is Windass for Glasgow Rangers...

I'm a casual fan of the European leagues. I'll be following Borussia Dortmund some this year, with an eye on Pulisic. Each year, MLS gets a little more interesting. I live in Atlanta, so it's fun to see our expansion team doing well.

I pay closer attention to the USMNT. Good, important games coming up against Costa Rica and Honduras.

Toronto got into the bandwagon effect with a great playoff run last year, hope it keeps up. I tape a dozen or so games a week and let them run until the grossly stronger team scores (or laughs to a 2-0) lead, then on to the next game. I don't care to watch Barca or Bayern complete the 8-0 drubbing of a hopelessly outmatched team.

Go Hatters!!

Liverpool and Napoli move into the $$ rounds of the Champions League, of course they fix it so they knocked out teams from France and Germany that would have easily beaten almost every other team in this round. Gotta make sure Cyprus and Malta get teams in the $-rounds...

I'm waiting for Coutinho to jump ship to Barcelona. Sooner or later one of the offers is going to stick. That'll be a tough pill to swallow. United has come out of the box hot.

On a side note I turn on the TV to watch football (the American kind), and I keep getting bombarded with news and video of people protesting this and that I'm going to be watching more soccer than usual.

While the progress is slow, in the 70's I had a friend who played middle school/HS soccer and everybody thought that was odd. Now, I take my mother to lunch and soccer is on half the TV's including the big screens. My son will watch when the broadcast is in Spanish. I'm planning on going to some of the Atlanta games (admittedly at least in part to see the new Mercedes Benz Dome cheaper than the NFL tix I bought there). It's not meteoric like MMA was, but it's real progress.

Some group in the Champions League will have Juve/Atletico/Paris St G while another group's best team will be 1845 Spartak Locomotiv Trabsonspor and another team that nobody has a clue what country it's from (one that doesn't use vowels at least).

Some group in the Champions League will have Juve/Atletico/Paris St G while another group's best team will be 1845 Spartak Locomotiv Trabsonspor and another team that nobody has a clue what country it's from (one that doesn't use vowels at least).

So you're saying the Champions League is like the Tony Awards of soccer?

For euro WC qualifying they put France/Holland/Sweden in one group and Italy/Spain in another while Serbia is in first and Montenegro is 2nd in another. They always play these SJW games to force horrible teams into the later rounds.

For the FA Cup semis we always get Liverpool and Man United and Scuntthorpe and Hartlepool, so the "draw" guarantees every time that Liverpool and ManU will play each other in the semis.

My Watford side is playing well two games in. Currently live with a Spurs fan and the sky is falling in Wembley for this season.......

Also keep an eye on Liverpool due to my morbid fascination with the Hillsborough tragedy, plus I love Klopp.

Toronto got into the bandwagon effect with a great playoff run last year, hope it keeps up. I tape a dozen or so games a week and let them run until the grossly stronger team scores (or laughs to a 2-0) lead, then on to the next game. I don't care to watch Barca or Bayern complete the 8-0 drubbing of a hopelessly outmatched team.

TFC is amazing this year.

Might break Galaxy's points record this year

CBF

I'm waiting for Coutinho to jump ship to Barcelona. Sooner or later one of the offers is going to stick. That'll be a tough pill to swallow. United has come out of the box hot.

On a side note I turn on the TV to watch football (the American kind), and I keep getting bombarded with news and video of people protesting this and that I'm going to be watching more soccer than usual.

United had 2 easy draws to open the season West Ham and Swansea, they aren't exactly world beaters and with the money spent, they should beat those teams.

I guess we shall find out this weekend what they can do against Leicester.

United had 2 easy draws to open the season West Ham and Swansea, they aren't exactly world beaters and with the money spent, they should beat those teams.

I guess we shall find out this weekend what they can do against Leicester.

+8 goal differential after week 2 is no joke though.

+8 goal differential after week 2 is no joke though.

I mean yea it's not a joke, because it happened. But West Ham/Swansea... 2 teams that will probably finish bottom of the table. Huddersfield came out hot against CP and beat Toons. All I'm saying is I'll be interest to see what they do this weekend.

Maybe it's me being bitter because I didn't pick up Lukaku in fantasy and am getting roasted now haha.

• 3 weeks later...

On to the Champions League 8 groups for the Final 32 starting tomorrow.

And they give us..... Barcelona hosting Juve for the first game...

The groupings aren't too egregious, ManU and Liverpool got cupcakes and Roma/Chelsea/Atletico is only one with 3 top teams for only 2 spots to advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Final day of WC qualifying for this round.

Dutch need to beat Sweden by 7 or more goals to get through. A challenge to say the least.

Slovakia will be the runner-up for a group that misses out of the playoff round.

USMNT needs to not lose to Trinidad & Tobago tonight in order to take the third & final confirmed WC spot for CONCACAF. If they lose, they could slip to 4th place, which would mean a playoff situation, or to 5th which would mean elimination.

Should be no problem to get the win or draw tonight, but the game's at T&T, the field is water-logged and T&T has nothing to lose.

No English speaking networks are carrying the game, so I'll watch in Spanish on Universo.

Edited by Cugalabanza

The playoff is with New Zealand and Australia and 5th from South America (could be Argentina)

so best not to enter that playoff situation for the US.

My understanding is that the playoff will be against a team from Asia (AFC), so it would be against Australia, two legs in November.

But yeah, best not to deal with that at all. It's bad enough that the USA is now consistently the 3rd best in this region, behind Mexico and Costa Rica.

adios Holland, tough draw and sadly they went to the bargain basement method of goal diff to break a tie, not a common thing in soccer.

So make sure you beat Vatican City or the Faroe Islands 28-0 next chance you get.

USMNT needs to not lose to Trinidad & Tobago tonight in order to take the third & final confirmed WC spot for CONCACAF. If they lose, they could slip to 4th place, which would mean a playoff situation, or to 5th which would mean elimination.

Should be no problem to get the win or draw tonight, but the game's at T&T, the field is water-logged and T&T has nothing to lose.

No English speaking networks are carrying the game, so I'll watch in Spanish on Universo.

Ouch

Its not really that big a sport for adults in North America.

Trump hasn't kicked Mexico out of North America just yet. They take soccer pretty seriously.

...and, they showed themselves to be the class of CONCACAF once again. Plus they managed to play this last game just soft enough to help the USA get knocked out. Well done, El Tri.

Edited by Cugalabanza