Soccer 2017-2018 season

row_33

So they went from having a spot locked out to totally out? No playoff against New Zealand or whatever?

That's pretty unfathomable for a country of 330 million people, no matter how many popular sports exist here.

It's not that we have too many sports; it's that our best athletes don't play soccer.

If they did, we would win the World Cup every 4 years forever, kind of how we dominate the Olympics.

It's not that we have too many sports; it's that our best athletes don't play soccer.

If they did, we would win the World Cup every 4 years forever, kind of how we dominate the Olympics.

The Soviet Union dominated the Olympics for decades, don't go screaming USA USA as if it's always been this way.

The US is too late to soccer, they can't develop a system that competes with Europe or South America.

Im sad to see the Netherlands didnt qualify for the World Cup

CBF

They were in a tough group, let a game slide against Bulgaria, France royally handed Sweden a win with a really fix-looking goal in extra time

Dutch played uninspired the whole time, as they are known to do for some qualifying cycles

Sweden beat Luxembourg 8-0 the 2nd last game to set up Holland needing a 7-0 win over Sweden the last game

My cheering is for the majority of my heritage, English, so I'm used to lackluster performances in qualifying rounds since 1974.

England has lucked out on very cushy groupings for a decade or so, they are due for some Group of Death soon....

They care enough to scout their opponents and capitalize on weaknesses.

That's twice in a row they have come out of decent groupings on top.

I agree, although to be fair they had a really forgiving draw...missed all the big boys. Still gotta give it to them though.

Took out Holland two years ago.

This time they finished ahead of Croatia, a major power with Real/Barca/Juventus featuring their top 3 players...

Long may you run, Iceland. :D

Edited by row_33

Back to the regular season grind.

A few things

Bayern Munich is 5 behind Borussia Dortmund, putting Robben and Muller out there long past their expiry dates (much props to the greatness they gave the game during their peak years) may be running out. Bor-Dort plays upstart Leipzig this weekend for those wanting a great game.

Atletico/Barca also tilt, may be the last time if Barca leaves Spain and "way more importantly" La Liga.

Liverpool/ManU square off, dust off your best rendition of:

Sign on, sign on

With no hope in your heart

and you'll never get a job

you'll never get a job

Palace has been shutout for 7 straight losses in the EPL, an epic display of crappiness that won't end hosting Chelsea

Juve/Lazio, the most corporate and souless entity hosts the most fascist fanbase in civilized Europe

and the derby at San Siro, this used to mean something if you are older than 40 years old

also, ManU has it's second Serb named Nemanja, will they copy over Vidic's song to Matic:

Nemanja whoa-oooo

Namanja whoooooo-o-ooh

He comes from Serbia

He'll !@#$in' murder ya

Does Columbus support the franchise as much as it deserves?

they have a loyal fan base. The team is good right now but they do very little to market themselves. Btw Precourt pledged to keep the team here when he bought it 4 years ago. Turns out he had an escape clause the whole time.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Italy fails to score and won't be in the World Cup.

That will make things a lot quieter in Toronto this summer.

There's some poetic justice in that result...who was it that said 'The hardest thing in football is to beat the Italians when they only need a draw' or something similar...well played Sweden, well played.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

There's some poetic justice in that result...who was it that said 'The hardest thing in football is to beat the Italians when they only need a draw' or something similar...well played Sweden, well played.

Go to hell

• Haha (+1) 1

I am missing Italy already, never cheer for them but have high regard and enjoy watching them play and am always amused by their exit and the fanbase screaming it was fixed.

but it's never fixed when they win.....  :D

to be honest, the Italian league has plummeted into unwatchable for 20 years now and maybe the talent isn't there to sustain the well built expectations from prior success...

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I am missing Italy already, never cheer for them but have high regard and enjoy watching them play and am always amused by their exit and the fanbase screaming it was fixed.

but it's never fixed when they win.....  :D

to be honest, the Italian league has plummeted into unwatchable for 20 years now and maybe the talent isn't there to sustain the well built expectations from prior success...

I loved watching Juventus last couple years tbh, and Italy usually has some good looking women WC fans...they will definitely be missed.

Juve is worth watching, but not much else is for the season.

Used to be the German and Dutch national teams played for the Milan teams and South American gods played in Serie A

Now all the top talent is in the Spanish game, what Italy was for my watching years of 1975 through 1995.

Don't worry, Russia will supply the good looking women by the hundreds.

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Used to be the German and Dutch national teams played for the Milan teams and South American gods played in Serie A

Now all the top talent is in the Spanish game, what Italy was for my watching years of 1975 through 1995.

I disagree, although I am biased, série a has been interesting the last few years. Juve seems less likely to walk away with it and Napoli, inter and lazio are playing very well and fun to watch.

I’d say what is missing is the promotion of the league, something that the EPL has mastered and used to attract tons of fans. 

43 minutes ago, meazza said:

I disagree, although I am biased, série a has been interesting the last few years. Juve seems less likely to walk away with it and Napoli, inter and lazio are playing very well and fun to watch.

I’d say what is missing is the promotion of the league, something that the EPL has mastered and used to attract tons of fans. 

it had its day up through the late 90s and since then cannot draw the top players from around the world as imports.

Serie A is a total bore to watch compared to the other top leagues, if you think its good I’m sorry you missed the peak around 85-95 for spending and amassing of the best in the world

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

it had its day up through the late 90s and since then cannot draw the top players from around the world as imports.

Serie A is a total bore to watch compared to the other top leagues, if you think its good I’m sorry you missed the peak around 85-95 for spending and amassing of the best in the world

Ok old man.  I didn’t say that it was comparable to the golden ages but it’s still an interesting league and there is a lot more parity.

3 hours ago, meazza said:

Ok old man.  I didn’t say that it was comparable to the golden ages but it’s still an interesting league and there is a lot more parity.

If I was a frontrunner fan for Juventus or Bayern Munich or Real/Barca or Ajax, then every weekend is pure HEAVEN to watch.

wheeeeeeeeeeeee we won 8-0 or got up 2-0 and drained the pus out of the clock against practically 90% of our "opponents"

and the total indictment of the lack of talent in the Italian league game is..... well..... you just saw it happen in front of your eyes.

enjoy the World Cup, who are you now cheering for?

Did North or South Korea get in ?  They have given Italy some great games in WC play.... ;)

So back to reality....

big games this weekend....

Arsenal/Spurs

Atletico/Real Madrid

France is paying the $$$ to build some really strong teams, PSG is a lethal powerhouse.

The English game is still the best to watch, 6 or so fatcats who want to win and put out a very good product, and a nothing team can rise up and take a spot in Europe as well any given year.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

and the total indictment of the lack of talent in the Italian league game is..... well..... you just saw it happen in front of your eyes.

enjoy the World Cup, who are you now cheering for?

Did North or South Korea get in ?  They have given Italy some great games in WC play.... ;)

Now I remember why I originally had you on ignore.

The Italian leagues consists of more than just Italian players.  There is a ton of talent that starts regularly on most national teams so I don't know what point you're trying to make. There's a ton of talent in the English league but it certainly doesn't show in their results since 1966.

And with regards to Italians, some of the top coaches are Italian, for some reason, they decided to give a no name like Ventura a chance and he failed miserably.

And I would cheer for Belgium but their coach is a complete asshat for never properly giving Radja Naingolan a fair shot.

Edited by meazza

On November 15, 2017 at 12:20 PM, row_33 said:

You sound like someone who doesn't actually know **** about Serie A or soccer in general.

No offense.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

and Champions League is back next week, round o' 16...

Easy rides to Man City, Man United, Bayern, Liverpool

Unfortunately great matchups this early with:

Juve/Spurs

Real Madrid/PSG!!!!

Chelsea/Barca !!!

and the who cares series to:

Shak/Roma

should be fun

Edited by row_33

on to the important rounds for Champions League

Today's games

Juve/Spurs and Basel/ManCity

Tomorrow

Porto/Liverpool and Real Madrid/PSG (:unsure: way way too early for this matchup)

Real and PSG could be a Final in any given year...

• 4 weeks later...