Bold prediction : Tyrod will get traded if...

Steptide

I read TSW before I watched the first preseason game. Based on the comments here, I thought he had a stellar game.

When I actually watched it, I was sorely disappointed. I'm not sure I understand the love for this guy. He looked like Jeff Tuel.

it may be more of a system fit/place holder thing some of us are wondering about.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me thought the bills were in re build mode after the trades last week, but you don't stop practice in the middle of it and yell at your team for not practicing well if you're in "tank" mode.

I think that happened because everyone was half assing it after Black Friday. He is probably worried he is going to lose ths locker room before the 2nd preseason game. Edited by Tenhigh

Extremely unlikely he gets traded. He is a top notch backup and they aren't easy to find either. The only way he gets traded is if they get a very good deal for him (based on the ****ty Sammy trade I'm not sure they know what a good deal is), and they are extremely confident that they have a good starter or backup in Peterman and that they will be able to get the other in the next draft.

If they trade TT it almost certainly signals they are willing to sacrifice this season to get ready for the post-Brady era that's coming.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think the Broncos would trade for him in a heartbeat.

I'd trade with Den if the return was their 2nd and Von Miller!

While I understand why you might think this, I will have to say this is highly unlikely because the circumstances are not the same. Here is why:

1. Everything pointed to McD liking Tyrod since he got here.

2. Tyrod is on a very team friendly deal.

3. The best way to develop a rookie is to NOT throw him to the wolves.

4. Most of our WR group doesn't even know the offense yet as they are all mostly new like Boldin and Jordan, to go with a rookie in Zay. That would only further hurt the development of a rookie who is also trying to learn the offense as well as get used to playing in the NFL.

5. There is still a good roster here, and they want to change the culture, so I can't see them trying to just go in full tank mode. If so, the person WAAAAY more likely to be traded at that point would be McCoy because he has less long term value given his age and would fetch the biggest return.

6. Its super rare for teams to make trades for a QB so close to the season as its the most complicated position and not one you can easily step into someones elses language and scheme. Usually it takes a serious injury on a real contender for those types of things to occur, so I would doubt there would be much value in a TT trade without a team sitting with a big need.

If you take Beane at his word, they felt strongly they would lose Sammy after this year due to cap reasons. Darby didn't fit the scheme according to them either and wasn't buying in, so using him as a commodity to lessen the blow of losing Sammy and getting another draft asset makes sense as well.

So, again I get people see surprising moves and just generally think anything is possible, however, everyone is grossly over looking a lot of the context that promoted the trades and the context around these what if trades.

Odds of happening I would comfortably put at close to zero.

PS: And while I too was encouraged by Peterman, it wasn't that impressive. He had a solid start against a bunch of reserve players and fringe roster players.

agree with all your points minus the PS. I think it was impressive. Peterman was running with reserve players on his offense. He also beat Watson at Clemson.

if Peterman throws for 3 TD's tomorrow and Tyrod looks bad do you think Beane looks at the offers on the table to move Tyrod? B-)

i think the immediate question is, if tyrod looks bad (or mediocre, limited, ordinary, or without the sought after improvement) and peterman improves upon his performance (shows command, anticipation, and is comfortable running the offense), would the rookie get any work with the first team in this preseason?

if Peterman throws for 3 TD's tomorrow and Tyrod looks bad do you think Beane looks at the offers on the table to move Tyrod? B-)

It would have to be a really good offer. We don't know who Peterman is yet and still won't know after only two preseason games.

Peterman has another solid game this Thursday. After the Sammy trade, I don't put anything past the bills front office. I have no doubt if Peterman plays well again on Thursday, they will trade Tyrod, assuming another team is willing.

My guess is they would feel they can get the same production out of Peterman as they can Tyrod, minus the running.

Thoughts?

i'd sort of be on board with you, but they just signed him to $$, so they're going to at least eat this year.

Peterman has another solid game this Thursday. After the Sammy trade, I don't put anything past the bills front office. I have no doubt if Peterman plays well again on Thursday, they will trade Tyrod, assuming another team is willing.

My guess is they would feel they can get the same production out of Peterman as they can Tyrod, minus the running.

Thoughts?

LA Rams, baby.

goodbye ... the party's over. Tyrod love in Buffalo is almost over.

Thoughts?

Odds are very high against it.

First, unless a team is in desperate need from something like a starter suddenly going down, a team that wanted him would just wait till after this year. It's late for him to start at the beginning of the season for a team that acquired him now except in cases of absolute emergency.

Second, from what we've seen Yates doesn't look like he'd make anyone comfortable as the #2 if Peterman went down.

Third, Peterman is completing around 50% of his passes. 51.1%, to be exact. He's doing better than Tyrod in the games but he isn't actually playing all that well yet. He has a ton more to learn before you would probably want him starting even if he was better than Tyrod.

Fourth, Tyrod's $15.5 mill guarantee will partly be paid by the team which traded for him (the salary and the $1 mill guaranteed on next year's roster bonus) but that would still leave us paying for $7.5 mill, his entire signing bonus. That's not nothing. They'd save the salary and the roster bonus, but unless they got quite a good pick, they'd want to justify taking that $7.5 mill hit by keeping him.

Even if they did start Peterman (very doubtful), Tyrod would be a great insurance policy in case they're winning (no, I don't think they will either, but they seem to be trying to keep that possibility open).

Tyrod's performance in the preseason is still fairly understandable as he picks up a new offense. But it won't raise his trade value.

Honestly, I'm a major doubter of Tyrod. I think we pretty much saw what he is in the last year and a half or so, which I believe is a top 32 QB who will never be a top 16 or so starter, and top 16 is around when people want to keep you. I wanted them to rebuild this year and let him go. Once they signed his option, though, I think it pretty much sealed things about keeping him for the year.

IMHO unless the offer is higher than expected, he's a Bill for this year anyway.

Edited by Thurman#1