Trading Watkins makes little sense to Wilbon and Kornheiser

KingRex

In today's Pardon the Interruption Sow (PTI is an ESPN hot stove argument show which I probably like cause Wilbon and I went to the Jesuit H.S) on of the discussion pieces was a rare dip into the Buffalo pro sports team pool.

They discussed in this short segment whether trading Watkins made sense.

They concluded no because:

A: Its a win now league and Sammy recovered from injury is gonna be more productive than his replacement. They heralded Watkins achievements during his brief healthy time and theorized that even the threat he poses likely makes the O and his fellow WRs more productive players.

B. The key to the Bills being better is trusting the process and given that over the last decade and a half plus shows that the ownership has been insufficient to run a process which can win.

Unfortunately, I think they might be right. Stocking up draft choices might be fun for us armchair GMs, but there is no evidence to indicate the process will work. Sadly.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B. The key to the Bills being better is trusting the process and given that over the last decade and a half plus shows that the ownership has been insufficient to run a process which can win.

But wait... isn't that what we're all about now?

In today's Pardon the Interruption Sow (PTI is an ESPN hot stove argument show which I probably like cause Wilbon and I went to the Jesuit H.S) on of the discussion pieces was a rare dip into the Buffalo pro sports team pool.

They discussed in this short segment whether trading Watkins made sense.

They concluded no because:

A: Its a win now league and Sammy recovered from injury is gonna be more productive than his replacement. They heralded Watkins achievements during his brief healthy time and theorized that even the threat he poses likely makes the O and his fellow WRs more productive players.

Unfortunately, I think they might be right. Stocking up draft choices might be fun for us armchair GMs, but there is no evidence to indicate the process will work. Sadly.

Did they note that ownership is not Ralph Wilson anymore? If you don't trust your GM to find talent then Pegula might as well sell the team and let them move. Pick a lane. Either you build through the draft, or build through free agency. There is no option C.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Did they note that ownership is not Ralph Wilson anymore? If you don't trust your GM to find talent then Pegula might as well sell the team and let them move. Pick a lane. Either you build through the draft, or build through free agency. There is no option C.

You build through the draft or FA? You can do both? Both option C. Edited by Commonsense

If you think anybody supports this trade I have land in the ever-glands to sell you. Mr. Beane, press conference was more baffling, he actually thought he was going to be labeled a genius but unlike the bills everyone outside of one bills drive think he is an idiot. If the Bills make the playoffs and do very well with the players they got and he hits on home runs in the draft, well he will be looked at like Einstein, but if everything goes south and Sammie becomes Jerry Rice, this franchise will never recover. I feel really terrible right now about this trade because many Bills fans remember the issue with Ted Washington could not stay in his career all of sudden Wad Phillips becomes Defensive coordinator tells John Butler to sign him and the rest as they say is history.

That last decade and a half with ownership eh?

Weird how in every other sport non-contending/rebuilding teams trade their players under expiring contracts as rentals to acquire other assets, but Because Buffalo, yada yada 4 Super Bowl losses yada Ralph is cheap.

You know what, you're absolutely right.

The last time the Bills really stocked up on draft picks was 1985. Two each in each of the first four rounds.

They were terrible the next year and went 2-14!!!

It's no wonder when they drafted stiffs like Bruce Smith, Derrick Burroughs, Chris Burkett, Frank Reich and Andre Reed.

They didn't start winning until three years after that draft! They were clueless.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

If you think anybody supports this trade I have land in the ever-glands to sell you. Mr. Beane, press conference was more baffling, he actually thought he was going to be labeled a genius but unlike the bills everyone outside of one bills drive think he is an idiot. If the Bills make the playoffs and do very well with the players they got and he hits on home runs in the draft, well he will be looked at like Einstein, but if everything goes south and Sammie becomes Jerry Rice, this franchise will never recover. I feel really terrible right now about this trade because many Bills fans remember the issue with Ted Washington could not stay in his career all of sudden Wad Phillips becomes Defensive coordinator tells John Butler to sign him and the rest as they say is history.

Just about 90% of non Buffalo Bills fans think the we made a horrible move for what we gave up to acquire Watkins. I have tried to think through this trade on every angle and cannot come up with one way to support it at all since it was made last week.

It was a flat out bad/stupid trade. Right up there with the Eagles giving us McCoy for Kiko. Watkins for Gaines WTF? Even the Pats gave up a first for Cooks... SMH

Edited by Real McCoy

I seriously doubt either one could name five guys on the team without a lot of head scratching and wrong guesses. They're covering all sports, so their knowledge and analysis is a mile wide and an inch deep. Ask them when Sammy's first injury as a pro was or how many games he averages per season. Without even debating the trade in this post, these guys' opinions are less informed than most of the posters here.

Build through Free agency? Were talking about Buffalo. Scratch plan B.

Just about 90% of non Buffalo Bills fans thinks the we made a horrible move for what we gave up to acquire Watkins. I have tried to think through this trade on every angle and cannot come up with one way to support it at all since it was made last week.

It was a flat out bad/stupid trade. Right up there with the Eagles giving us McCoy for Kiko. Watkins for Gaines WTF? Even the Pats gave up a first for Cooks... SMH

And the diffeence is that the Patriots have an OK QB to make a move like that.

But you want to double down on Whaley's draft day blunder and pay Watkins serious cash all the while we still don't have what we need under center.

Also......we got a 2nd along with Gaines.