Sammy Watkins Trade on it's own and not from a draft junkie

I understand tanking in the context of drafts and basketball or a top 5 in Hockey. In football and for you junkies it is a crapshoot imo.

Now let a Bills fan and non draft expert give his opinion......

This trade is PATHETIC!!!!!!

Forget the Darby trade for a minute (though Mathews would have been a nice addition with Watkins) and people commenting on it as a big picture item.

Watkins was the reason I watched when he was playing. He was the #4 pick and dynamic when the Bills actually looked at him and threw him the ball.

They rolled the dice and needed to see it through.

Tired of the injury comments as while a concern he is still young.

When he played he was a top 10 talent @ wr. When thrown to, top 5......

I blamed the OC and play calling and saw Watkins woefully underutilized and now the Bills flushed him down the toilet.

17 years and no playoffs and they waved the white flag for 2017 August 11th....

Maybe Houston is taking offers for JJ Watt based on his injuries the last 2 seasons. Could the bills offer their 2nd round pick and some middling CB for him?????

We are being played for suckers.

Edited by Billsfan1972

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watkins didn't make much of an impact on this team. Check Taylor's #s with and without him. That's probably more on Taylor. Watkins is a dynamic WR, but his loss won't impact this team as much as you think. If they were a 6 win team with Watkins they are a 6 win team without. Again, that's more to do with the QB leading the passing attack. It's just not his strength.

The people who rolled the dice on him are no longer employed by the Bills, and couldn't have seen it through. This staff clearly wants to build the team in their vision, and they are positioning themselves to add several key building blocks in the upcoming offseason. It remains to be seen whether this will cost us this season, I've certainly seen worse WR corps than Matthews, Boldin, Jones, Streater, Holmes, Tate, Shorts, Reilly

You don't give away a top 5 talent for crumbs and that is what they did. This future crap is just a pipe dream (especially in football) and people being sold and obsessed with the draft are kidding themselves.

NE was damn lucky that Bledsoe was injured and their 6th round draft choice was Tom Brady.

Giving Watkins a huge contract would have been an error given the combo of production, injury and scheme (current QB). But the Bills had two years left to see through their investment (if they had picked up the option), so cutting ties at this point was premature. Now, had they gotten a king's ransom I would be OK with it. But we didn't. We got a 2nd and a backup CB and then had to throw in our 6th to finalize. Appreciate the idea, hate the execution.

I wanted Sammy to stay. But Beane said they had several offers. For those saying he should have gotten more, maybe teams wanting him were reluctant to give up a ton of picks, players, whatever on a guy with a significant injury history. Could be the Rams offer as the best Beane had.

Well the poll suggests that 67% approve and 33% disapprove so I guess your in the minority on this one.

BTW I like it,our previous GM might still have a job if he had done the same with Gilmore(thats a big might though)

I wanted Sammy to stay. But Beane said they had several offers. For those saying he should have gotten more, maybe teams wanting him were reluctant to give up a ton of picks, players, whatever on a guy with a significant injury history. Could be the Rams offer as the best Beane had.

A top pick in the 33-39 range and a starting CB is a decent haul for damaged goods. A proven healthy Watkins gets you a 1st. That is pretty close to a 1st. In terms of value I have no problem. I just dont know how long the Bills can keep losing players though. That is my biggest concern. Sets us back. Hopefully they sign Gaines and Matthews.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

i think the trade was based on the bills feeling that sammy wouldn't be on the team next year, and just wanted to get something. could they have "forced" him to stay with the tag...sure, but will his compensation be worth his production. it's a risk either way. that being said, i don't think they were going to get much more for sammy. he has all of the potential in the world without the production to match...at this point.

Sammy was not re-signing here and if he's smart he will not sign in LA either. they gave up a lot for a 1 year rent-a-player and we capitalized. plus the Rams are terrible on offense (because of QB) and I expect them to be one of the 10 worst teams in the league if not top 5 so we have a pick right at the top of the 2nd which is almost like a late 1st, especially if there is a run on QB's and first round guys fall

Wrt to top 5 recurring comment:

Top WRs in NFL...

Antonio brown

Julio Jones

Dez Bryant

OBJ

DeAndre Hopkins

Mike Evans

Larry Fitz

Doug Baldwin

Amari Cooper

AJ Green

Antonio & Julio only two I'd take over a healthy Watkins...... Call me delusional, but he was fun to watch when they they him the ball.

Not much you can do when they use you as a decoy.......

Yeah yeah or injured..... The same old same old........

JJ watt has consistently produced on the field. Sammy has never done that

Actually he does every time he was targeted.

I wonder if there was any other threads on this, or if this is one of those hey look at me threads?

This topic has already been worked from every angle and every perspective. Either way, it's done and fans should be moving on.

I doubt Sammy is stirring away in LA with a picture of the Bills logo and one tear rolling down his eye.

Antonio & Julio only two I'd take over a healthy Watkins...... Call me delusional, but he was fun to watch when they they him the ball.

Not much you can do when they use you as a decoy.......

Yeah yeah or injured..... The same old same old........

Actually he does every time he was targeted.

Then you are absolutely delusional. Watkins is hardly top five in his own draft class

ODB

Evans

Cooks

Jarvis Landry

Watkins

Sammy was the favorite player on the team for a lot of us, but the fact is Matthews had more NFL production. After awhile, you have to abandon potential and look at pure results.

When our final 53 shapes up I think you will see us getting another 3rd rounder in compensatory picks and a conditional 2,3,or 4th for Ragland depending on his starts or whatever factor they agree on.

This is a seriously powerful way to build a team and make a run, and we're doing it to perfection. Yes it cost us Sammy but it's the only way out of mediocrity.

This is still a fun team to watch with lots of talent. But with all this draft capital we are a force in this league again.

I'd think that It's really difficult to get anything more than a second for a non QB as well. I've often questioned the value of the WR position in today's NFL.

I wonder if there was any other threads on this, or if this is one of those hey look at me threads?

This topic has already been worked from every angle and every perspective. Either way, it's done and fans should be moving on.

I doubt Sammy is stirring away in LA with a picture of the Bills logo and one tear rolling down his eye.

Then you are absolutely delusional. Watkins is hardly top five in his own draft class

ODB

Evans

Cooks

Jarvis Landry

Watkins

Yes the hate for Watkins is palpable...... ODB is targeted 12+x's a game with a good QB......

Every game they threw to Watkins he was productive.

Perfect example of wasted talent was vs. KC, where he torched them the first half and then the Bills forgot he was on the field the second half.

Mark my words (as if it matters) that this trade was garbage.

Sammy was the favorite player on the team for a lot of us, but the fact is Matthews had more NFL production. After awhile, you have to abandon potential and look at pure results.

When our final 53 shapes up I think you will see us getting another 3rd rounder in compensatory picks and a conditional 2,3,or 4th for Ragland depending on his starts or whatever factor they agree on.

This is a seriously powerful way to build a team and make a run, and we're doing it to perfection. Yes it cost us Sammy but it's the only way out of mediocrity.

This is still a fun team to watch with lots of talent. But with all this draft capital we are a force in this league again.

Because the last 17 years makes you so confident.

The NFL draft is a crap shoot. Coaching and skill players are what wins games.....