Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Final Day

I may be wrong but wasn t Sammy complaining about wanting more targets a while back? Is that a me first mentality? I think Sammy wanted to be paid a top 5 wr salary and was definitely going to want more $$$ than the Bills felt he was worth. 8 games 28 rec 430 yds and 2tds does not demand top money and betting he would stay healthy and be willing to stay in Buffalo seemed like a long shot. Would people rather have him walk after the season for nothing? or pay him huge money for his potential greatness? I think it was a wise business decision and regardless of my opinion he is gone.

He complained about the targets because he was constantly open and TT was not throwing to him. it was a legitimate complaint and Sammy backed it up by having an unbelievable run over the next ten games.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He complained about the targets because he was constantly open and TT was not throwing to him. it was a legitimate complaint and Sammy backed it up by having an unbelievable run over the next ten games.

He complained about targets when he and Tyrod were both injured and EJ was playing QB...

Okay I don't know why Randy Moss keeps getting brought up as if he has anything to do with Sammy Watkins. When has Sammy ever looked as good as Moss? Also this was 8 years ago. Look at recent championships. Julio Jones is the exception, the best teams are not paying their top receivers the kind of money Sammy will likely command.

AJ Green is the primary reason why Dalton looks competent and a significant reason why the Bengals almost always make the playoffs (even if they do unbelievably boneheaded things in their losses). Green is the difference maker on that team -- he is THAT good. Without him, the Bengals are a sub-.500 team.

AJ Green is the primary reason why Dalton looks competent and a significant reason why the Bengals almost always make the playoffs (even if they do unbelievably boneheaded things in their losses). Green is the difference maker on that team -- he is THAT good. Without him, the Bengals are a sub-.500 team.

Everything you just said I see as ultimately bad for the Bengals. They need to start over. AJ Green is the best example of the point I'm making.

I think someone needs a refresher course on caponomics. Bills are done paying Sammy. The only thing is left is the accrued dead cap hit from signing and roster bonuses already paid out.

If I am wrong please explain why. My understanding is that the Bills were going to pay Sammy that $5.6 (dead cap money) regardless of whether he played here or anywhere else in 2017 because it was guaranteed. Is that not correct?

If I am wrong please explain why. My understanding is that the Bills were going to pay Sammy that $5.6 (dead cap money) regardless of whether he played here or anywhere else in 2017 because it was guaranteed. Is that not correct?

That is not correct. That money was already paid in prior years. Bills only owed him $650K in salary.

Dead cap is an accounting term that lets teams spread out bonuses over the term of the contract as opposed to getting the cap hit in the year the big cash is paid.

You responded to post about not retaining top talent. Randy is clearly in a class of his own, wasnt injured, and was truly elite. Its silly to even suggest that the Bills wouldnt keep such a proven player, Sammy wasnt proven. There is a difference. You cant say well they would have done the same with Moss or even comparatively use his name like that. They are totaly different worlds with regard to talent and availability.

Here is what I was responding to:

"What if I told you there are talented players with high character? Not everyone is Sammy Watkins complaining to local media about his targets and claiming his draft class will change salaries around the league. Maybe McDermott doesn't like players that care more about their targets and their money than winning."

His premise is don't bother with guys that have character issues. Randy Moss was pretty much a prima donna. So by Happy's logic he would pass on Moss. Not comparing football skills but personalities.

Edited by chris heff

not sure if you are being obtuse on purpose but clearly the point is that instead of just having a bunch of players with individual talent, they want to build a winning team where the players complement each other. Not that they don't have talent, they actually can win with that talent. Whaley took the opposite approach. He could evaluate talent but he could not put together a winning team. I think they have the same issue in Jax and LA Chargers.

You still need talented players. Every GM will say that is what they want to do but it's just platitudes. I didn't like Whaley but constantly having to pick players for different systems every couple years had something to do with that. That's 3-4 vs 4-3 , zone blocking vs drive blocking type stuff etc. SW can help any style offense , so this doesn't apply here.

That is not correct. That money was already paid in prior years. Bills only owed him $650K in salary.

Dead cap is an accounting term that lets teams spread out bonuses over the term of the contract as opposed to getting the cap hit in the year the big cash is paid.

Dead cap is the portion of the amortized bonus that accelerates into the next year when a player is no longer on a team yet still counts against their cap.

He complained about targets when he and Tyrod were both injured and EJ was playing QB...

Regardless , things were being said in the media about his production vs OBJ and Sammys agent apparently said something to the Bills. Watkins talked about his frustration when asked . So WHAT ? The Bills were not getting him any targets , certainly not compared with OBJ and he wanted the ball. Tons of receivers have said similar stuff over the years. Not a big deal at all and he backed it up when they started actually throwing him the ball.

You still need talented players. Every GM will say that is what they want to do but it's just platitudes. I didn't like Whaley but constantly having to pick players for different systems every couple years had something to do with that. That's 3-4 vs 4-3 , zone blocking vs drive blocking type stuff etc. SW can help any style offense , so this doesn't apply here.

Cost next season is the problem and If we waited and he goes elswhere Buffalo gets nothing in return.

If Watkins isn't in the plans for the future, trade him.

Pisses me off,

but I get it...

Micah Hyde: "Be a Leader" (12:31)
Bills safety Micah Hyde sat down on The John Murphy Show to discuss his first camp with the team, how he's been fitting in with the defensive backfield, and his fellow teammates.

Watch: Bills Wrap Camp at Fisher, Prep for Philly (1:47)
The Bills officially wrap up the St. John Fisher of their training camp, players prepare to take on the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2nd preseason game of 2017.

You don't know what year is going to be your year. You are supposed to try to win the championship every year. Isn't that what you are telling your players? Not trying to win is friggin nonsense.

The Bills also gave a 6th round pick away. The Bills could have gotten a compensatory pick as high as round 3 for Watkins if he ended up going somewhere else for a big contract. Getting rid of your best players when they are dirt cheap to keep this year is downright stupid if you are honestly trying to win games on your way to the playoffs for a chance to compete for the title.

I wonder what kind of car Beaner drives. I would like to trade him an old rotbox rusty plymouth with a big dent in the rear quarter panel for whatever he is driving. I'll throw in a free tank of gas too. The car I am trading to him might not pass inspection next year. But what the hell? He obviously doesn't like having nice cars to drive around in when he can still get to work in a rusty old plymouth that might be worth $100 more next year than it is this year. Think he makes the deal?

Does it have a Hemi?

I have a hard time getting past that logic. Unless there is undisclosed negative knowledge about Sammy, the trade makes no sense.

which means there clearly is more to the story!

Where is Poirot when we need him?

I saw Dr Who here somewhere as he blips in out of our current time continuum locale.

There is no way, that there is not a thought out and agreed upon logic within the Inner Circle to trade Watkins off.

Oooh I never considered the fan base would flip it's lid.

Oh Dear Kim. Can you fix this too?

Russ would have never approved of this.Take note everyone. NEVER.

he no longer has any leverage. point scored PegulaBeaneMcDermott

Not at all, this kind of stuff happens at Patriots practice all the time. BB sends the players home to cool off and no one is worse off for it.

Yup. Gimlmore and Edelman a week or so ago

which means there clearly is more to the story!

Where is Poirot when we need him?

I saw Dr Who here somewhere as he blips in out of our current time continuum locale.

There is no way, that there is not a thought out and agreed upon logic within the Inner Circle to trade Watkins off.

Oooh I never considered the fan base would flip it's lid.

Oh Dear Kim. Can you fix this too?

Russ would have never approved of this.Take note everyone. NEVER.

he no longer has any leverage. point scored PegulaBeaneMcDermott

Point on Russ is the first interesting newer point into this polarized debate club that:

A) knows Sammy will be the single greatest franchise success propelling WR known to man and will gather 3000 yrds per season en route to 14 consecutive Super Bowls in LA

OR

B) Sammy is James Hardy with an injury history of Harvin, Goodwin and Parrish combined. And a diva, and a bad teammate and basically th scourge of the earth... oh and he tweets like trump.

Yeah Russ is nowhere to be seen. And I like it👍

Point on Russ is the first interesting newer point into this polarized debate club that:

A) knows Sammy will be the single greatest franchise success propelling WR known to man and will gather 3000 yrds per season en route to 14 consecutive Super Bowls in LA

OR

B) Sammy is James Hardy with an injury history of Harvin, Goodwin and Parrish combined. And a diva, and a bad teammate and basically th scourge of the earth... oh and he tweets like trump.

Yeah Russ is nowhere to be seen. And I like it

Talk about extremes. :lol:

OR

Yeah Russ is nowhere to be seen. And I like it

I do have excellent ability to find the gems.

I congratulate you Good Sir ( sincerely ) on taking note of a blurb i wrote. You also read the whole way through, which i thank you for.

But it's worth considering in the bigger scheme of things when fans are trying to define a WTF moment, perhaps.

:beer: for you 29 !

Shady, Tyrod, and Dareus. Tank baby tank!

pure emotional Bills Fans.

Thats why I love you guys each and all.

Full on