Jordan Matthews chest injury (update: Sternum chip)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2000+ yards with 15 TDs between the '14 and '15 seasons isn't anything to ignore. 2016 is essentially a throwaway year with him only playing in eight games and being hampered in those.

I didn't say anything to ignore.

We both don't know what conversations have taken place. You have no idea if Watkins was targeting money as much or more than both Jones and Bryant.

We just don't know.

Sammy in pure games played as a Bill averages 4 catches and 66 yards per game.

I didn't say anything to ignore.

We both don't know what conversations have taken place. You have no idea if Watkins was targeting money as much or more than both Jones and Bryant.

We just don't know.

Sammy in pure games played as a Bill averages 4 catches and 66 yards per game.

Beane said there had been no conversations with Sammy or his representation.

This is quite a reach. Spraining an ankle, cracking a rib, breaking a foot bone are not what they are discussing there, and are sufficiently independent of each other.

Not to mention the people calling Sammy Watkins injury prone are likely not using this as their background for designating him with such a condition.

It is plainly "I see injury, I expect more injury"

This is classic Bills. we really can't have nice things. Ah well QBs look nice next year, until we draft one and he breaks too.

The Bills are indeed classics. Perhaps the one really true nice thing was OJ and what he did for the Bills, and now he's an unconvicted murderer but imprisoned for other crimes. It started very early on. In the early AFL days we drafted Ernie Davis, who was to be our golden running back for years to come should we be able to sign him. So he has cancer and passes before ever wearing a uniform. Again, early days: Johnny Green is supposed to be a big time quarterback prospect, except he keeps throwing interceptions. They give him an eye exam and he turns out to be colorblind. And on and on it goes with Buffalo (wide right, music city miracle, no goal, etc.). We justly deserve "it's a Buffalo thing."

This is interesting:

@InsideInjuries

Inside Injuries breaks down Jordan Matthews' chip fracture in his sternum & predicts when he will be healthy #Bills

Jordan Matthews did not even make it through his first practice with the Bills before getting hurt. When we broke down last week’s big trade deal we hinted that Matthews was going to be a risk because of his injury history.

Matthews dealt with a sprained right ankle and back issues last season but only missed one game, though the injuries obviously affected his performance. He’s been dealing with knee tendinitis, the same issue that plagues him last October, that has kept him limited during some offseason training, but has reportedly been healthy during camp.

I know. I was expecting to read the last page or 2 here and find our message board medical experts talking about exactly how long we can expect Matthews to be out and how fully he'll recover 0:)

Exactly lol. Someone posted a video from a fantasy football doctor that said its just a pain injury and nothing serious. I chose as a professional listener to believe what the fantasy doctor said cuz it sounded promising lol.

This is interesting:

@InsideInjuries

Inside Injuries breaks down Jordan Matthews' chip fracture in his sternum & predicts when he will be healthy #Bills

https://insideinjuries.com/chip-fracture-sidelines-jordan-matthews/

Hey, but that's not what the fantasy doctor said.

Fantasy doctor video is on Page 7 posted by Yolo

I dont think Watkins is on either of those guys levels. Buffalo didnt want to commit alot of money and the next 5 years to Watkins. If Watkins was more consistent and did have the injuries he isnt traded and buffalo picks up his option.

The smart move though was picking up the option. That was team McBeane' s first major blunder. It would mean Watkins was here for 2017 and a reasonable number in 2018. No big commitment until after that if Watkins performed , no big loss if he didn't. His talent level , age ( just 24) and value to the team if it worked out warranted a good look for the next two seasons.

I've read that this takes 8-10 weeks to heal. Pain tolerance or not...why are they reporting week-to-week and playing it off like it's nothing? They're setting up for a big, drawn-out disaster here, and I can't help but feel like it's karma for such a terrible trade.

I've read that this takes 8-10 weeks to heal. Pain tolerance or not...why are they reporting week-to-week and playing it off like it's nothing? They're setting up for a big, drawn-out disaster here, and I can't help but feel like it's karma for such a terrible trade.

David J. Chao, MD

David J. Chao, MD @ProFootballDoc

True, #JordanMatthews will be fine for real games.

Problem is how does he acclimate to new team/plays/QB with limited practice?

The smart move though was picking up the option. That was team McBeane' s first major blunder. It would mean Watkins was here for 2017 and a reasonable number in 2018. No big commitment until after that if Watkins performed , no big loss if he didn't. His talent level , age ( just 24) and value to the team if it worked out warranted a good look for the next two seasons.

You do realize Beane was not here when that decision was made right? McD was, but Whaley was the GM. Also, what is a "reasonable number" clearly depends on your point of view. Committing $15m guaranteed to a WR you are not even sure can play this year much less next year is a bit of a gamble. Back in March, when this call needed to be made, Watkins recovery from foot surgery was far from assured, and still remains to be seen, although he appears full speed right now. I would love to hear the cats screaming around here if the Bills guaranteed Watkins contract for 2018 and he ended up injured.

As it stands now, it would certainly appear that the now GM, along with the coach, do believe planning to commit to an $80 to $100 m contract for a WR does not fit their long term plan. I am fine with that. They sold high, whether you believe it or not. His value would only go down from here, and is higher than it was 3 months ago now that the Rams were desperate and Watkins has shown he is healthy.

You do realize Beane was not here when that decision was made right? McD was, but Whaley was the GM. Also, what is a "reasonable number" clearly depends on your point of view. Committing $15m guaranteed to a WR you are not even sure can play this year much less next year is a bit of a gamble. Back in March, when this call needed to be made, Watkins recovery from foot surgery was far from assured, and still remains to be seen, although he appears full speed right now. I would love to hear the cats screaming around here if the Bills guaranteed Watkins contract for 2018 and he ended up injured.

As it stands now, it would certainly appear that the now GM, along with the coach, do believe planning to commit to an $80 to $100 m contract for a WR does not fit their long term plan. I am fine with that. They sold high, whether you believe it or not. His value would only go down from here, and is higher than it was 3 months ago now that the Rams were desperate and Watkins has shown he is healthy.

How do you arrive at this conclusion?

The option had to be picked up by May 2. They probably had pretty good medical info by then, Whaley was GM in name only at that point if still around. What exactly is a 15 mil salary to this team with no huge QB deal and one offensive star ( that they didn't even draft) on the roster now. You act as though the team is coming off a SB win, with top players throughout the roster needing a payday. 15 mil is not outrageous for a top WR. They also would have had the option of working out an even more cap friendly deal, restructuring others etc. no way would Watkins eventual deal be 80-100m. Looks like 60's to 70 is top buck right now for comparison. Edited by Boatdrinks

How do you arrive at this conclusion?

Once camp closes and teams set their roster the value of trading for a player lessens dramatically. Also, every day, every practice, and every preseason game, creates another injury opportunity. Obviously I was not involved in negotiations but it certainly seems from Beane's comments that the Rams interest became serious over the past few days. That is the time to strike. Unlike some, I would assume that any other inquiries were evaluated as being serious or not. I doubt there was that much interest actually.

When would you suggest his value would be higher? He is not signed past this season so at the end of the year there is not much value as teams will just wait for free agency. The trade deadline is a joke. How does a team reasonably integrate a player into their system at mid season? Should they waited another week or two to see if the Rams became more desperate? How does that help the Bills to get their team ready?