The Vietnam War selective service lottery

http://www.historynet.com/whats-your-number.htm

I remember my older brother sweating it out

Bruce Springsteen: 119, September 23, 1949

Sylvester Stallone: 327, July 6, 1946

Samuel Alito: 032, April 1, 1950

Clarence Thomas: 109, June 23, 1948

Edited by tsnbd

In 75 went downtown for a Sheriff's card (Drinking ID for the youngsters) , register to vote and register for the draft. They told me that a few weeks earlier they changed it that you only had to register by the end of the year. A few month later, they said that registration was abolished.

mine was 153.

I was a freshman in college and we gathered money for a prize for the guy with the

lowest number. The guy who 'won' was 10 0r 11. He never went as we all had the student deferment.

My birthday is March 8.

When 'they' drew the numbers March 6 was number one, and then March 7 was number two.

The mathematical odds of 3 days picked in a row are astronomical

Graduated in 69, already had my pilots license,and went into the USAF. I have allergies, they wouldn't let me fly. As soon as they found out, I "had a choice of staying 4 years as an enlisted man, or be discharged, and take my chances with the draft." I was mad and decided that 2 years would be better than 4, so I took the discharge. Received an Honorable discharge in 1970, reported back to the draft board, gave them my discharge paper, and they stamped me 4F. End of that story!

The Military used to have an induction center at Main & North. It was an all day deal, so they gave us lunch vouchers for the Anchor Bar. Never did like that place, and have never been back.l

In 75 went downtown for a Sheriff's card (Drinking ID for the youngsters) , register to vote and register for the draft. They told me that a few weeks earlier they changed it that you only had to register by the end of the year. A few month later, they said that registration was abolished.

They must have brought it back, I had to register in 1980, never had a number though.