Serious question: Is this the beginning of a tank?

Heavy Kevi

Ugh... This undoubtedly means an awful season. Without the usual ability to lie to ourselves about contending.

Both player returns on this are gone after this year, this hurts the team for years to come over a new GM's hubris that he can draft better players than the stars we already have. Best of luck. Even if he's right, the fans will run both GM and coach out of town before the returns are seen.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaines was the start right CB for LA Rams so he replaces Darby one for one. CB depth is not the best but not the worst.

Gaines was their starting CB in 2014 - on an awful team. He missed all of 2015 and was a backup as best I can tell last year only playing in 11 games. Watkins was traded for a 2nd round pick and a throw in who will make this team only because they have no CBs beyond Tre White.

Corrected: Gaines started 10 games last year for the Rams, but is still not a quality starter at 5'9".

Edited by OldTimer1960

Ask yourself this. What was our record last year with a trainwreck defense. Sammy a shell of himself and our top 2 receivers being Goodwin and Woods?

The defense rebounds and I could still see us building on last years record.

So no, not a tank. We're a run first team prioritizing our future, in car Tyrod does not progress.

That's it.

Ask yourself this. What was our record last year with a trainwreck defense. Sammy a shell of himself and our top 2 receivers being Goodwin and Woods?

The defense rebounds and I could still see us building on last years record.

So no, not a tank. We're a run first team prioritizing our future, in car Tyrod does not progress.

That's it.

There isn't enough talent on this defense to rebound. They have a nice DL, bottom of the league LBs 1 starting caliber cornerback 2 average safeties and zero depth in the secondary and LBs

There isn't enough talent on this defense to rebound. They have a nice DL, bottom of the league LBs 1 starting caliber cornerback 2 average safeties and zero depth in the secondary and LBs

I thought our LB depth looked decent. But you're spot on with the CB's and Safeties. Let's hope some cuts are made and we can scavenge, while praying we've found some gems.

That DL though... looks nasty. Especially is Yarb is the real deal and Shaq stays healthy.

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

Burn it to the ground. They already sold Tyrod out with the 10 mil now this BS move.

Yep. I wonder whos the next one to go, Tyrod, Shady, Wood or KWill

budget-cuts-tank-army-budget-cut-usa-dem

^ Thats Peterman starting behind our swiss cheese O Line after they get rid of Tyrod, Shady, and Wood for more picks.

Edited by Marty McFly

...we're horrible at tanking to though...

Haha this is true.

6-10 or 7-9 just never yields that generational talent. We have "near-missed" alot of elite and/or possible future HOFers. Not to say we actually would have made the right picks, but we are always in that "upper lower class" range and end up with the 10th pick.

Problem with tanking is you could swing and miss with so so much on the line. At least we don't have the lottery so the #@%ing league can give Connor freaking McDavid to their darling Edmontonians.

Haha this is true.

6-10 or 7-9 just never yields that generational talent. We have "near-missed" alot of elite and/or possible future HOFers. Not to say we actually would have made the right picks, but we are always in that "upper lower class" range and end up with the 10th pick.

Problem with tanking is you could swing and miss with so so much on the line. At least we don't have the lottery so the #@%ing league can give Connor freaking McDavid to their darling Edmontonians.

OMG, don't remind me, just our luck eh

Trading our young talent? What the heck is going on?

Let the attack begin...

I see it totally different than alot of people on here, if we were tanking we wouldn't have replaced Watkins or Darby with adequate replacements, Whether you like Matthews or not he's said to be a leader, he's played as WR 1/2 and slot and has been productive over the same time Watkins played with multiple Qb's, also stays healthy. I don't know much about Gaines but after reading up on him he's won all rookie honors and then had that injury , came back last season and struggled a bit, sounds like Darby without the major injury. If beane wanted to tank i think he'd go with Holmes or Streater and not replace Watkins with a high caliber play much like Darby. I know these are fan favorites but if we can finally get that franchise QB we can stop being New Englands door mat, I can't wait for that day I don't know about you guys but we now have plenty of ammo to move up the draft board, not only that but Matthews can be an excellent complimentary player along with the WR we pick up in the draft next year :D .

I see it totally different than alot of people on here, if we were tanking we wouldn't have replaced Watkins or Darby with adequate replacements, Whether you like Matthews or not he's said to be a leader, he's played as WR 1/2 and slot and has been productive over the same time Watkins played with multiple Qb's, also stays healthy. I don't know much about Gaines but after reading up on him he's won all rookie honors and then had that injury , came back last season and struggled a bit, sounds like Darby without the major injury. If beane wanted to tank i think he'd go with Holmes or Streater and not replace Watkins with a high caliber play much like Darby. I know these are fan favorites but if we can finally get that franchise QB we can stop being New Englands door mat, I can't wait for that day I don't know about you guys but we now have plenty of ammo to move up the draft board, not only that but Matthews can be an excellent complimentary player along with the WR we pick up in the draft next year :D .

Well if we manage to get a franchise qb, then any trail of destruction left along the way will justified.

That "if" is just so unbelievably large.

The more I think about it, the more sensible this seems. Really disheartening seeing them seemingly give up this year, though. I know Matthews has been ok, but I also know what a healthy SW is like. We could end up being the genius' if he continues to be injury prone, but it's tough to see a guy with that much talent go. At least its the Rams, and not some divisional or even conference opponent.

Edited by Shotgunner

Ok so its a modified Tank... stockpile as many pics as possible, trade TT and Shady for high picks #1s and sign CC, TT to Denver and Shady to an NFC West or Central Team. Either use a couple of these picks to move up in next years draft or use Shady and one of the #1s to move up to grab a QB. Either way, I think McBean have a plan and they are executing it step by step. Doubt though we will see anything more before the beginning of the season.

Gaines was their starting CB in 2014 - on an awful team. He missed all of 2015 and was a backup as best I can tell last year only playing in 11 games. Watkins was traded for a 2nd round pick and a throw in who will make this team only because they have no CBs beyond Tre White.

Corrected: Gaines started 10 games last year for the Rams, but is still not a quality starter at 5'9".

And they had as all fooled when we thought Bills cut Robey-Coleman because he was too small. Now Robey is in LA probably taking Gaines roster spot.